Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone who is on 1mb but should be on 2mb, post here

• 03-04-2005 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I noticed that a few people on boards said they are now on 1mb although they were on the enhanced package and should be getting 2mb. The conspiracy theorist in me says that it's because your ISP left you on the lower package but changed your cap (You would have no way of knowing).

I know that the chances of this are pretty low, but it's something that is worth looking into anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,957 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Good point...!

But then again.. it did say that Home Plus (on Eircom) would be upgraded from 8GB to the 16GB package, didn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

im on 2mbit according to connection and my drivers but im getting 512k like speeds

Jakkass wrote:
    im on 2mbit according to connection and my drivers but im getting 512k like speeds
    Join the club!....

Am meant to be getting a 2MB connection. Router is showing 1.3Mbps and getting 512K speeds still.

FFS... can Eircom do anything right? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

At the moment my modem is saying I'm connected at '1024 kbps'. I am on the IOLBB+ package so hopefully I shall be upgraded to 2MB now on Monday. If not there shall be a lot of phonecalls being made on Monday. A hellova' lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

what reading should 1mb people have ?
    www.irishisptest.com

i take it less than 1mb and a download speed off less than 150kb or so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Yep - I'm on Home Plus - My router is saying 2048/128 but the d/l speed on giganews and irishisptest is 427.50kbps

Newlands cross exchange.

Maybe everything is busy this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

yeah i'm in tht club too, saw a few post in the other thread with other people and was wondering what was going on.

at abou 1:45am last night they upgraded the Carrick-on-Suir exchange (south tipp) i'm on IOLBB Plus so should have gotten 2meg but have been stuck on 1 meg since the upgrade, was thinking about ringing today but i'll leave it until tomoorw and ring if it's not sorted then, jsut incase it's a phased upgrade or something.

speeds from hat test on 1 meg should be around 850kbps or 105-110kBps, mine are anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Winters wrote:
    At the moment my modem is saying I'm connected at '1024 kbps'. I am on the IOLBB+ package so hopefully I shall be upgraded to 2MB now on Monday. If not there shall be a lot of phonecalls being made on Monday. A hellova' lot.

Same, no 2MB yet router showing 1024. IOLBB+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Just download a 20MB file segment of a Windows Service Pack from the microsoft website if you are getting terrible download speeds inconsistent with what you were expecting.

Speed tests are of no use to you when you want an actual real-life speed evaluation?!?!

BTW.
    I think last night was the "big push".
    They may do some tweaking today but nothing much will change with your download speed if they are incrooectly set at 1024 instead of 2048 unless you complain to tech support.
    There was going to be problems anyway as no database is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Speed tests are of no use to you when you want an actual real-life speed evaluation?!?!
    Agreed. Bandwidth tests have placed my connection between 900Kbs and 1.7Mbs. If you want to measure it accurately, start downloading a file from heatnet (such as this) and see what speed you get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

diarmo wrote:
    Just download a 20MB file segment of a Windows Service Pack from the microsoft website if you are getting terrible download speeds inconsistent with what you were expecting.

BTW.
    I think last night was the "big push".
    They may do some tweaking today but nothing much will change with your download speed if they are incrooectly set at 1024 instead of 2048 unless you complain to tech support.
    There was going to be problems anyway as no database is perfect.

Its not enough to say 'no database is perfect'. People pay considerably more per month for the plus product no matter which isp you are on. And apart from the increased cap they were supposed to be benefitting from a lower contention rate as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭monomaniac

The netopia says downstream of 2048 but my download speed seems to have halved. I'm not getting any more than 25 kb/s. Anyone else in the same boat?

I am able to download at 106kb/s constant. I tested it out with a 50mb file from EA.

I game them a call on their 1800 number [1800 923 923] but they are closed until tomorrow morning. :(

Tried downloading that file on Heanet.

Am getting around the 56KB-57KB mark.. slightly better than previous download speeds on 512K.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aint got a clue what im supposed to be at since UTV never said.

Im at 1Mbps.

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm on IOLBB Plus and my download speeds actually seem worse than yesterday, it's synched at 2 megs down but the actual download speed seems to be sub 512.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

basquille wrote:
    Tried downloading that file on Heanet.

Am getting around the 56KB-57KB mark.. slightly better than previous download speeds on 512K.
    getting 29.9KB lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Winters
    You are currently on 1024k..ring them and complain(demand credit as well!)

basquille
    Very bad speed.
    Can you tell me your line attenuation(PM me if you have a ZyXEL 623 and I'll talk you through it) as a level of over 60 will not allow 1024k and above 45 will make if difficult for 2048k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Bodan

im on Iol BB Plus . I got upgraded to the 1 mb line so im a little disappointed was really looking forward to the 2mb . I guess its a mistake on there part so first thing tommorrow im ringing them up and getting it sorted.

diarmo wrote:
    Winters
    You are currently on 1024k..ring them and complain(demand credit as well!)

I already explained i rang their number and they are closed today apparently. Unless you have another number that may be working today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Tried Heanet, I'm getting a steady 55.0 - 58.0 K/BS. A little better than the old 512 service.
    ADSL Link 	Downstream 	Upstream
    Connection Speed 	2048 kbps 	128 kbps
    Line Attenuation 	32 db 	19 db
    Noise Margin 	31 db 	31 db

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

I'm in the same position as Winters. I'm on the IOLBB+ package but my modem shows me as being connected as follows:
    Upstream Speed: 128kbps
    Downstream Speed: 1024kbps

With the current 1meg connection I was getting download speeds of about 88-90kB/sec on the file posted here, previously I was getting around 55-57kB/sec for downloads.

My downstream attenuation is 51.5dB & upstream 31dB - are these above average?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'm getting 1mb speeds on PLUS.

Is everybody still in their trial periods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

I'm on iolbb+, router showing 2048/128.. and getting 208.5KB/s on that heanet download...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Giblet wrote:
    Nope, I'm paying for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

No, I'm gone past 12 months at this stage.

Giblet wrote:

Eh, no, been paying for it for a while now.

Anyone know how to find out line attenuation on the netopia 3341?

monomaniac wrote:
    Anyone know how to find out line attenuation on the netopia 3341?
    I'm trying to find out the same thing, mate!

• Advertisement

Ok if you telnet 192.168.1.254 then the command

show dsl

gives line attenuation.

Mine is 53.11 Downstream and 31.0dB Upstream. So i guess this means I'm may have a problem with 2048.

diarmo - can u give me more info on what this means?

Advertisement