Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone who is on 1mb but should be on 2mb, post here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Line Status ADSL Link Speed 2048 kbps 128 kbps
    Downstream Upstream
    SNR 6.5 dB 0.0 dB
    ATEN 33 dB 21 dB

On Netsource DSL. According to the above Guideline my SNR is terrible???

ambrose :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knob

I'm an iolbb+ customer. This morning I was geting fantastic speeds of about 210kbps but now its dropped to.....

Reason for concern? Should I ring esat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Maddzy wrote:
    Try the new version of the test I put online a short time ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

kingambrose,

You have a low SNR as there is a lot of noise in your line.
    This will probable cause sync probs once and a while.

Knob,

IE6 has a terrible download manager.
    Use a manager like Flashget/DAP which will create 2 or more connections to the file...download them and then rejoin them.
    At 2mbit you will probable see a speed improvement as long as you have a speedy comp.
    BTW. Nice Site..;-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knob

diarmo wrote:
    Knob,

IE6 has a terrible download manager.
    Use a manager like Flashget/DAP which will create 2 or more connections to the file...download them and then rejoin them.
    At 2mbit you will probable see a speed improvement as long as you have a speedy comp.
    BTW. Nice Site..;-0

Yeah I know, just testing. I'm downloading a 150mb file at the moment via Flashget which is registering speeds of between 90-100kbps :(

I'm on iolbb+ so as you know, I should be getting 200kbps.

Should things be sorted before we are officialy upgraded?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

My router said 2016/128 this morning and I got over 200KB/s when downloading, it now says 1184/128. So for whatever reason I've been downgraded since this morning.

Eircom are having teething problems it seems.

Its only logical with doubling and quadrupling the download speeds.
    Shows just how far behind we were from the rest of Europe dosent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sorry forgot to mention I'm downloading from Microsoft at 210kbs. :D
    Just wanted to know why my SNR was so low. Doesn't seem to cause me any problems. What should I be looking out for Diarmo? Thanks.

Btw, that irishiptest.com isn't good at all. I'm only getting ~90kbs on it. (Possibly too many ppl testing at the mo?)

ambrose :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

ADSL Link  	            Downstream  	Upstream
    Connection Speed 	2048 kbps 	     128 kbps
    Line Attenuation 	  47 db 	         29 db
    Noise Margin 	           12 db 	          23 db

I'm on IOLBB+ and my router say 2048/128 but I'm only getting ~90Kb/sec on downloads?

Should I be hassling Esat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭dubmick

dubmick wrote:
    Exact same for me. Was getting better speeds last night. I'm on Eircom Plus.

I'm now getting download speeds of 214 kb per second. Nice, very nice.

• Advertisement

kingambrose

A low signal to noise Ratio can cause instability between your modem and the corresponding exchange equipment.
    You have an Attenuations of only 33 db which is very good indeed and might cancel out any major problems associated with a low SNR.

TimTim
    Your line has similar properties to my own.
    Try out a couple of different major download sites with a good download manager and see if it gets better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Oops, I should have checked this first, but I just restarted the router and speeds went back up to 2016/128 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,958 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Here's a weird one for ye...

I've been having about 1400/128 all day. Meant to be on 2MB.

Took my own advice and restarted the router about a dozen times. Then, one of the times.. the status said Waiting for DSL for a while.

So i went into Expert Mode and had: 2048/128 in there. But it wouldn't connect... just keep switching between Not Connected and Waiting For DSL

And when i restarted the router again.. i was back down to 1440/128! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

basquille wrote:
    So i went into Expert Mode and had: 2048/128 in there. But it wouldn't connect... just keep switching between Not Connected and Waiting For DSL

And when i restarted the router again.. i was back down to 1440/128! :(
    Bear in mind that these products are Rate Adaptive DSL (RADSL) products. Perhaps this is the rate adapted speed based on your connection quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

basquille, I'm finding the same thing myself. Everytime I reset the router I get a different connection. It must be a problem at their end. I'm currently d/ling at 165KB/s so I'm not gonna touch that router!

My numbers:
    relative capacity occupation: 32%
    noise margin downstream: 26.0 db
    output power upstream: 1.5 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 44.5 db

relative capacity occupation: 21%
    noise margin upstream: 26.0 db
    output power downstream: 17.5 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 30.5 db

My attenuation isn't great, but my SNR is good. Would good SNR cancel out attenuation or is one more important than the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Try PPPoA and test your figures, and use whatever is best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

May as well post mine too...I hate my line :(
    down:
    relative capacity occupation: 100%
    noise margin downstream: 7.0 db
    output power upstream: 2.0 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 52.5 db

up:
    relative capacity occupation: 22%
    noise margin upstream: 21.0 db
    output power downstream: 15.5 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 31.5 db

I'm on IOLBB+ btw, and I've been seeing download speeds of between 25KB/s and 210KB/s all day.

Bear in mind that these products are Rate Adaptive DSL (RADSL) products. Perhaps this is the rate adapted speed based on your connection quality.
    I thought the cause of my problems was just Sligo outta the loop... and Eircom were working on it.

But rang the girlfriend earlier (not far down the road from me, and we're on the same exchange!) and asked her to check her connection and she was successfully upgraded from 512K to 1MB and downloading 99KB/sec.

Guess you're right, leeroy... seems like a bum deal to me though! Am tempted to ring Eircom and ask them to just put me down to the Home Starter if i can't get the full 2MB speed outta the Plus. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NocturnalDonkey

It looks like i'm upgraded. Esat Broadband plus on the Monasterevin exchange.

Home DSL has ALWYS been RADSL.

Thats what contention ratios create!!!

• Advertisement

diarmo wrote:

So.. it shouldn't matter how far you are from the exchange etc..?

A speed of about 200KB should be expected.. as opposed to a speed of about 150KB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

diarmo wrote:

Hmm? I'm confused. Whats the relationship between radsl and contention ratios?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

diarmo, you obviously don't know what you're talking about so please stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im now on 1 meg :/ im going to ring in the morning and find out whats what . but speeds seem crap atm pings to cs servers worse then they were b4

iol bb + btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

diarmo wrote:

Yes home DSL has always been RADSL but normal ADSL packages have contention ratios too and contention ratios have nothing to do with the rate adaptive nature.

A contention ratio is a measure of the maximum number of DSL users who can contend for an individual allocation of bandwidth at a DSLAM. Theoretically on a 2Mbit service at 24:1 you could be getting 85Kbit of bandwidth at a worst case moment.

Rate Adaptive DSL is an enhanced version of DSL specifically designed to improve range by 'rate adapting' a connecting user down from their max connection speed in steps until a satisfactory conection can be made. I don't know what step/increment size Eircom's equipment uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Btw, that irishiptest.com isn't good at all. I'm only getting ~90kbs on it. (Possibly too many ppl testing at the mo?)

If you are only getting ~90kbs it has nothing to do with the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

A bit more back on topic, is anyone still getting 1024 displayed when it should be 2048?

Ok, Today is the official upgrade day for IOLBB EsatBT

Is anyone still getting the incorrect speed displayed?

I am not talking about testing the download speeds. I am referring to the speed that your modem/router is displaying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

jumpy where does it display what speed I am getting on iolbb plus as I am on that and would like to know

• Advertisement

Hmm, with the Zyxel I couldnt tell you sorry, I am sure that someone here could answer the question though.

I have a Netgear DG834 It displays it on the main screen on the router setup page.

Still 1024/128 when I checked this morning though.

Advertisement