Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone who is on 1mb but should be on 2mb, post here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's entirely possible that your line just isn't up to anything more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I just had a guy from Technical Support try and tell me today that I have been on the 'regular' Broandband package and not the 'plus' brandband backage. Neithless to say I was *very* shocked to hear this. I'll be searching for my confirmation letters and also some bills and get them to give me what I correctly signed up for.

/me is angry.

IOLBB is slow as **** for me aswell. Its unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Winters, did you not know by the 8gig cap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

Was on Digiweb 1MB - Supposed to be upgraded to 3MB

Getting 100kb/s now, connected to two nntp servers.

Results For: Draytek Vigor 2600G

> show adsl
    ATU-R Info (annex A)
    Running Mode : G.DMT State : SHOWTIME
    DS Actual Rate : 3072000 bps US Actual Rate : 256000 bps
    DS maximum Rate : 11424000 bps US maximum Rate : 1184000 bps
    DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave
    NE Current Attenuation : 26.5 dB Cur SNR Margin : 32.0 dB
    DS actual PSDM(C) : 00000007 US actual PSDM(R) : 00003e77
    ADSL Firmware Version : 41e2be2c
    ATU-C Info
    Far Current Attenuation : 20.0 dB Far SNR Margin : 26.0 dB
    CO ITU Version[0] : 000f414c CO ITU Version[1] : 43420000
    DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < Alcatel >

Apologies if that is too long, wasn't sure what info would be required :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭ando

pretty stable so I don't see why I should be happy with 170k.

I think thats the max for your line, my line max's out at 180KBps, never seen it go above that. My router never connects at 2mbps. Its the technology, rate adaptive dsl. Go figure

Anyway for those that have not already tried and are having problems, reset your router by unplugging it, not just hitting the reset button on a webpage. This is a graph of a file I downloaded from Symantec, before manually restarting and after restarting. A whole lot more stable connection after restarting:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~monza1999/misc/router_restart.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knob

If you've been on the basic package and IOL have been debiting €94 from your account every eight weeks I'd be asking some serious questions and wanting pretty impressive answers.
    Winters wrote:
    I just had a guy from Technical Support try and tell me today that I have been on the 'regular' Broandband package and not the 'plus' brandband backage. Neithless to say I was *very* shocked to hear this. I'll be searching for my confirmation letters and also some bills and get them to give me what I correctly signed up for.

/me is angry.

IOLBB is slow as **** for me aswell. Its unreal.

Giblet wrote:
    Winters, did you not know by the 8gig cap?

I was never on regular BB. I've always been on the plus until last nights 'Upgrade'. Even when I had 14 and 15GB downlaoded the stats would never tell me I was over my cap, I only ever had it telling me I was getting close to my cap and that was when i had 15GB downloaded and about 3 days left in the month :rolleyes:

They seriously have something wrong if they think they can downgrade me. Pity smart are not in my exchange [sutton] yet :mad:

My speeds tonight have been crawling. No downlaod has gone above 60k and they are usually staying about the 50kb/s speed I was getting with the 512 connection. :mad: :mad:

Oh yes. I'm angry, very angry. They also appear to have put Call waiting on my phoneline which I never wanted either :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Protocol ADSL State Showtime
    Data Path Interleave
    Operation Mode G.DMT

Downstream Upstream
    Line Status ADSL Link Speed 2048 kbps 128 kbps
    SNR 6.5 dB -
    ATEN 8 dB 6 dB

The above came from my Dlink router

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

winters i'm in a similar boat, was told i've been on IOLBB not IOLBB+ for the last 5 months, see my other thread for the full story.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=242113

needless to say i'm quiet pi**ed too but i've sent off the letter to get the upgrade to plus (even though i've been on it 5 months) then i should get 2mbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

My UTV Clicksilver Plus connection is still at 1024/128 this evening. It looks like I'll have to ring them tomorrow.

On top of that I am experiencing noticable lag/slowdown when browsing the web now that the connections have become more heavily contended and the backhaul network more congested.

• Advertisement

Eye wrote:
    winters i'm in a similar boat, was told i've been on IOLBB not IOLBB+ for the last 5 months, see my other thread for the full story.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=242113

needless to say i'm quiet pi**ed too but i've sent off the letter to get the upgrade to plus (even though i've been on it 5 months) then i should get 2mbit.

I'd say it must be something like that. But what bothers me is the fact that when signing up fo the 3month Trial I opted for the Broadband Plus insted of the Regular BB package. Why bother giving the option if they are just going to ignore it. I also opted for both the Telephone and BB in one to get the cheaper BB+. If they have been charging me the full price for the past 6 or 8 months or however long I've had it then I'll be looking for some sort of compensation no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Winters wrote:
    I was never on regular BB. I've always been on the plus until last nights 'Upgrade'. Even when I had 14 and 15GB downlaoded the stats would never tell me I was over my cap, I only ever had it telling me I was getting close to my cap and that was when i had 15GB downloaded and about 3 days left in the month :rolleyes:

They seriously have something wrong if they think they can downgrade me. Pity smart are not in my exchange [sutton] yet :mad:

My speeds tonight have been crawling. No downlaod has gone above 60k and they are usually staying about the 50kb/s speed I was getting with the 512 connection. :mad: :mad:

Oh yes. I'm angry, very angry. They also appear to have put Call waiting on my phoneline which I never wanted either :confused:

HMMM!!

Yeah that means you have a 16gb cap. I wonder did they do that to me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 madboy

I thought it was just another mistake by IOL or mabey they were starting slow and then going to kick into high-gear (just to see if the network can take it,sort of thing) but not now i've seen these posts.
    I've been on IOL BB since before BB PLUS and didn't take up their offer to "Downgrade" to the standard package so I assumed i was supposed to get 2MB.I downloaded a game demo from gamespot earlier and got a constant 100kb and my modem tells me 1024 so i'm definitely on 1MB :mad:

I'm owed some cash if they have been ROBBING me !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭ando

argh this is starting to annoy me. My connection keeps dropping and is laggy as fcuk when playing online gaming. My 512 connection was solid as a rock but this is a joke. I'd rather a steady 512 than this.. FFS the connection dropped as I was writing this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

My connection keeps dropping too. I might give it a few days before I complain, see if they sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭VirtualNemesis

PPL. there is a certain distance broadband can travel.

512kb
    unlimited distance from the exchange
    1Mb
    6k from the exchange
    2Mb
    4k from the exchange

i reackon most of you are at the edge of these distances which means the contension rate it the toughest for you!!!

I dont know how you worked out those distances as a lot of other factures such as line quality, noise etc. need to also be taken into account.

As it stands, Im within about 2K of the exchange. The problem is with IOL 'downgrading' me without my knowledge then the Staff Member I spoke to claming I was always on the lower package when I clearly have been on the plus/enhanced package.

the distances are standard for all bb sp's

We are talking about Eircom lines here. They aint standard ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

512kb

QUOTE]

I am fairly certain that is not correct. Even a direct fibre link has a limit.

• Advertisement

i work for a cetain bb tech support company (2nd line) we learnt this on the first Day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

i work for a cetain bb tech support company (2nd line) we learnt this on the first Day
    Sorry to burst your bubble but your company is living in the land of the fairies if it thinks it can supply 512K to an unlimited distance. I think they meant that no one in Ireland is far enough from the loop to be disqualified for 512, it doesn't have an infinite reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭greys

FFS, just rang EsatBT's support service and found out I was on a regular package as well!

This explains why I didn't get upgraded to 2Mbits allright... :( They're going to upgrade me now, so it will be at least few more days before I get to enjoy the speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

512kb
    1Mb
    6k from the exchange
    2Mb
    4k from the exchange

i reackon most of you are at the edge of these distances which means the contension rate it the toughest for you!!!
    you should tell this to bt as they have ppl on 2 meg lines up to 8 miles from the exchange i am led to believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Mine was fine the whole weekend but this morning my d/l speed has slowed down to just under 700kb/s, it was 1700+ b4 and its meant to be a 2mb line.
    Anyone else have this problem only since this morning?
    Eircom plus package btw and I am on the Summerhill exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

A]Just phoned tech support 1890 260260 and nice guy and he said ya Dublin1 is a bit slow at the mo and should be ok in an hour that there has being alot of probs in the Summerhill exchange.
    B]I asked about interleaving being turned off and he said they don't etc
    Donno how much of A I belive tbh

elexes wrote:
    you should tell this to bt as they have ppl on 2 meg lines up to 8 miles from the exchange i am led to believe

if you can find evidence of this i will be well suprised!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

I'm just off the phone with IOL. It turns out (as suspected) that I've been on the standard IOLBB while paying for the IOLBB+ package!!!

I've been with IOL since Dec '03 and when the initial package was split into two packages in March 03 all existing customers were meant to be automatically transferred to the IOLBB+ package unless you sent a letter requesting the lower package (which I did not). So basically I've been overcharged for the last 13 months.

When I was on the phone to tech support they transferred me to customer care, who then sent me back to tech support and back again. Eventually they were transferring me to sales so I could 'request' the IOLBB+ package and that Eircom would do the necessary upgrade at my exchange. They weren't even going mention the fact that I had been overcharged until I raised the issue again. Finally, I was told I'd be credited the amount on my next bill (so hopefully I'll get it in the next year knowing them!).

I'm fairly p*ssed off at this stage as this is the second time that I've been overcharged by IOL and I find it a bit devious being on the lower package while paying for the plus package (although I doubt it was deliberate). The fault technically was at the Eircom gateway so it might not be IOLs fault but they are my provider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Radsl

512kb
    1Mb
    6k from the exchange
    2Mb
    4k from the exchange

who's the bright spark that told you that! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

N&#243 wrote: »
    I'm just off the phone with IOL. It turns out (as suspected) that I've been on the standard IOLBB while paying for the IOLBB+ package!!!

I've been with IOL since Dec '03 and when the initial package was split into two packages in March 03 all existing customers were meant to be automatically transferred to the IOLBB+ package unless you sent a letter requesting the lower package (which I did not). So basically I've been overcharged for the last 13 months.

When I was on the phone to tech support they transferred me to customer care, who then sent me back to tech support and back again. Eventually they were transferring me to sales so I could 'request' the IOLBB+ package and that Eircom would do the necessary upgrade at my exchange. They weren't even going mention the fact that I had been overcharged until I raised the issue again. Finally, I was told I'd be credited the amount on my next bill (so hopefully I'll get it in the next year knowing them!).

I'm fairly p*ssed off at this stage as this is the second time that I've been overcharged by IOL and I find it a bit devious being on the lower package while paying for the plus package (although I doubt it was deliberate). The fault technically was at the Eircom gateway so it might not be IOLs fault but they are my provider.

did u ever break 8GB cap per month, if so u are better off not seeking a refun d as u could be hit with 35euro per GB overage.

Advertisement