Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Really slow since upgrade

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

i would assume that it would provide an advantage to those on good lines, since PPPoE is designed to enable a further reach of the service lol, just guessing though, either way :-) mine improved hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Bollox my download speed has now crapped out at 1.24Mb! sorry but I think I'll go back to PPPoE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

ahhhh! lovely 105-107KB/s downloads this morning ...now 60-62KB/s :confused: subjectively thou the net feels even slower than when I was on my 512 connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bollox my download speed has now crapped out at 1.24Mb! sorry but I think I'll go back to PPPoE
    I tried using PPPoA and the modem wouldn't even come back online until i changed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

that file from heanet downloads at between 60-64 for me. A good bit short of 100-110 I'd expect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

i went from 512 to 1.2

and my download speeds are now down at 7-12k a sec :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I switched to PPOA and now I'm at 891/108 with UTV. A big improvement and my ping to boards has gone from 1 or 200 to 50. Not perfect but alot better.

possibly different per exchange. mine is better than ever though lol :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

jm2k wrote:
    ahhhh! lovely 105-107KB/s downloads this morning ...now 60-62KB/s :confused: subjectively thou the net feels even slower than when I was on my 512 connection.
    That's cause our pings are massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

jm2k wrote:
    That's because it probably is. Your DSL connection to the exchange is now 1Mbit but the backhaul network getting the bandwidth to the exchange is now trying to serve an average of between two and four times as much data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Celbridge exchange. Absolute cack. And of course I tried rebooting the Router. And NO that didnt work.

Cack.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

JNive wrote:
    lol.

Switched my modem settings, just for the laugh, and changed to PPPoA with LLC encapsulation and my speeds have immediately improved from 1.72Mbps to 1.77Mbps

Try it :-)

I'm just guessing here... Could be the fact that changing settings reboots the router/modem? :)

I had 1.24 down, rebooted and it was 1.78. Still has the same problems though. Downloads not what they should and all that. Laggy internet when only my old 512 in use. Lots of fun. Hope it clears up soon!

Oh. Has your connection degraded since, or has it cleared up now?

not a chance, ive rebooted the modem multiple since it was upgraded, without a single change to the performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

AFAIK eircoms network is not designed around PPPoA and messing around with the LLC is very much a hit or miss situation.

The UK has used PPPoA for a while but now they are changing over to PPPoE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My 1 meg is Ok down here in the sticks..........107kB d/l

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

basquille wrote:
    I tried using PPPoA and the modem wouldn't even come back online until i changed it!
    how can u change protocols as PPPoE is **** on my USB Modem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hrm.. I'm only downloading at 70kbps on an apparent 2 meg line now.. Something is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

yep, I too am at 2meg and getting only like 80-90kb/s

I was maxing out 220 today morning

I think eircom is crash and burning

*EDIT - UPDATE*

I forgot I was downloading with BT and I was uploading at a full speed(12.5kb/s)
    and once I turn BT off speeds flew up to 220 again

128 upload = choking

SmartTelecom, if you are reading this, now is the time to strike again with 256 or 512 upload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

With both esatbt/iolbb and eircom, on average I am seeing improved ping times, by about 10%, but the same throughput. Overall eircom wins out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Im wit digiweb my 1mb line is now 3mb
    wit no problems im downloading wit bittorrent
    at flat out speeds of a between 280kB`s n 300kB`s.
    So i aint goin to complain, but in fairness its about
    bloody time this upgrade came...lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Nargler

Was "upgraded" over the weekend from 512kbps to 1024kbps. Was getting a low of 40k/s at peak time, now lucky to get over 9k/s at any time :( Tried a heanet download last night and got a blistering 12k/s Didn't have time to test this morning, will check when I'm home. And yes I have restarted the router, no dice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

I used the ISP test yesterday morning - around 11am, and got 1.61meg

Retested last night a few times, and it came out at approx 550kbs, 1 meg, 750kbs.

Retested this morning and got 1.71meg

I'm hoping todays result stays, or improves. But like all new things, they take time to bed in. I'm going to give it a week to see if the speeds become more stable, before I start to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

alot better this morning 101k a sec off some american server :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

things look fine here now.
    /touches wood

202kB/s off heanet
    215kB/s off irirshisptest

pings back down to 20ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Seems a lot better in Celbridge as of 11am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Yep Celbridge seems to be getting better, seen 2 eircom vans in the village on the way in to work about 11 so they might have fixed something

Advertisement