Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locating an exchange

• 03-04-2005 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys just a quick question, i'm living in bray and hope to get broadband soon but i was curious as to how far away i am from the exchange of bray.

can anyone tell me how to find it ie. what they look like or better yet anyone from bray who knows where the bray exchange is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Theres no way to tell what they look like ie. they have no massive Eircom logos on them and they dont have any set building style.

I suppose, you could send eircom an email or run out in front of the next Eircom van to drive past your house :D ... or wait for someone from Bray to come on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh i've emailed eircom and phone them but they said that they were "unwilling to give out them sort of details".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

usually marked on the Ordinance Survey Maps, and then use the Smart Exchange test to see what exchange you are connected to

and also, they would all have a square arrangement of antenne on them, more than a mobile mast, but of similar type and arrangement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Cremo wrote:
    "unwilling to give out them sort of details"
    What, is it some sort of trade secret or something? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What, is it some sort of trade secret or something? :rolleyes:
    Terrorism protection :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Eircom have refused to release a complete list of exchange locations due to "security concerns" for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

:D they are big grey boxes they look like a big server machine on the road lol i know exactly where mine is so i can give it a good kick to get it going :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Bray exchange is just off quinsboro road, heading for the train station you take the left at the coffee shop just before that little shopping centre and the exchange is just on your left about halfway down that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Cremo wrote:
    yeh i've emailed eircom and phone them but they said that they were "unwilling to give out them sort of details".

Hahahaha!!!
    You getting ready to bomb the Telephone exchange or something???

Honestly I'd say they are just too lazy to look it up!!!

Redshift wrote:
    Bray exchange is just off quinsboro road, heading for the train station you take the left at the coffee shop just before that little shopping centre and the exchange is just on your left about halfway down that road.
    ahh i know where it is now, i don't know why i never thought that it would be there, i just thought eircom lived there with their vans.

is there anywhere online i could get the ordinace survey map for bray or would that be illegal?

• Advertisement

But they are still clearly marked on any of the OSI Maps :-) as 'Telephone Exchange' lol

diarmo wrote:
    Hahahaha!!!
    You getting ready to bomb the Telephone exchange or something???

Honestly I'd say they are just too lazy to look it up!!!
    not yet anyways lol.

just curious as to how far i am away from the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Jakkass wrote:
    :D they are big grey boxes they look like a big server machine on the road lol i know exactly where mine is so i can give it a good kick to get it going :P
    I don't think they are exchanges.

Gonna dig some up.

Cork City
    http://www.corkcity.ie/maps/maps/tile_introa.html

For Dublin, no sign of anything,
    If you want to buy a map lol, go here
    http://www.irishmaps.ie/product/display.cfm?ProductID=156

To find out the name of your exchange, best way is to check your phone number here
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/products/broadband/step1.htm
    and try and find that exchange on a map, or by touring around in a car looking suspicious :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Jakkass wrote:

That's the cooling sysetem for the HUGE generators they have for standby power.

They prefer not to put them on the roof but if there's no room inside then up they go.

The buildings are usually styled to fit in with the surounds.
    ie Foxrock is on the dual carriage way and the building is greenish and well tiled.
    Dun Laoghaire is off the main street and looks like an abandoned warehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Damn they take their security seriously.

But honestly locals always know where the local exchange is so what the point really.
    If you want to sabotage one...just purchase a paper and ask the salesperson where the local exchange is...simple.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wheres the Tramore Exchange, the only building I can see that looks like it is the one near the Cop Station?

Advertisement