Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

robbie keane not happy

• 03-04-2005 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0403/keanerobbie.html

seems like he will go, how do ye rate keane? what club will take him?

i think in terms of the ireland team he is a great player for us, but as a top premiership striker he doesnt come close to the best imo.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

He'll go to some average side abroad IMO, if anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

he hasnt done too bad this year for spurs so it is a pity but inevitable nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think O'Leary might be interested at the right price, he plays a high tempo that O'Leary likes.

While I would love to see an Irish player at Villa, I'm not Robbies biggest fan he misses easy chances far too often.

yeah oleary would have to be the prime suspect as he has signed him before. how much will he cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He should never have left Wolves, he did well there and liked the club but got ambitious too soon and sadly Moxey et al were too keen to cash in. I'd say if he were still there Wolves would have got promoted a couple of seasons sooner and then stayed up.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

mike65 wrote:
    He should never have left Wolves, he did well there and liked the club but got ambitious too soon and sadly Moxey et al were too keen to cash in. I'd say if he were still there Wolves would have got promoted a couple of seasons sooner and then stayed up.

Mike.
    In all fairness didnt he leave Wolves for Coventry? It was a great move for him. An immediate step up to a average Premiership side. Leaving Coventry was probably an error, but would you turn down a move to Inter Milan?

well i dont think leaving wolves was a mistake but certainly going to inter was!

In all fairness didnt he leave Wolves for Coventry?

Exactly! Coventry!!!?? :confused:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Robbie's biggest problem is that he is very individual. It looks like its very hard for other players to play with him. I think he will go to another mid table team. He needs to find a settled team

mike65 wrote:
    Exactly! Coventry!!!?? :confused:

Mike.
    But Coventry was hardly getting all ambitious too soon. They were an established Premiership side, but still a small one. He got to take the step up to the Premiership immediately but without going to a huge side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He's an annoying little pikey, incredibly selfish and arogant gypo.

Absoulute hate watching him play, and his scanger goal celebrations, even after peno's or tap ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't see why in the world he'd leave Spurs.
    They are on the up.
    Thats just silly

I think back in 99 Keane was having his head turned by the media interest and talk of his value at about 6 million. I think he proberly was thinking Man Utd or similair but Coventry went mad and made Wolves the offer they should have refused. Keane then proberly thought "well its the Premiership, next stop after Highfield Rd - Old Trafford!" Wolves are a bigger club than Coventry City ever were even when in a lower division (turnover, fan base etc).

His transfers have cost a toal of £38,000,000 Sterling, I wonder what Spurs would consider a fair price for him now.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I could see him going to Newcastle or ManCity .... or any of those mediocre clubs with more cash than sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It'll either be Newcastle to replace Bellamy, and the aging Shearer, or Celtic if Bellamy goes somewhere else at the end of the season. Both would be good moves, and both fairly likely if he does ask to leave imo. (which i dont think he'll do until the oppertunity is gone)

Out of the 2, i would prefer to see him become the new Larson of celtic, and at least be getting first team football and scoring week in, week out, all be it against weaker opisition, with the benefits of champions leauge football. Hopefully will send his confidence sky high, which is always crucial for a striker.

[edit] Beat me to it on calling newcastle pigman :p ........ As for how much he'll cost? I'd wager around the £8M mark.[/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Celtic have ZERO transfer funds, so no chance going there unless its on a loan deal.

Cant see him going to Celtic, they are well impressed with Bellamy. If they can afford anyone then they will get him, he is tried and tested.

I could see him going to newcastle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think or more so I would like to think he would have done well in Inter if the coach who bought him did not get sacked. Keane is missing some quality coaching. He can do all the hard things and has more flair than a Brazilian but his simple finishing is seriously lacking...same with 1 on 1's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I love if he came to villa, but i doubt doug ellis would be willing to pay him stg55,000 per week, unless of course he wants to take a paycut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

It's by no means certain he will leave Spurs in all fairness.

• Advertisement

but they have 4 strikers now ! Defoe is better than robbie tbf and he isnt playing often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

what a petulant, annoying, whinging little c*nt.

Calm down Chucky, Thejollyrodger was only expressing an opinion ;)

what a petulant, annoying, whinging little c*nt.

Slash/ED: -Calm down Chucky, Thejollyrodger was only expressing an opinion

Who ? me or robbie ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

DubGuy22 wrote:
    It'll either be Newcastle to replace Bellamy, and the aging Shearer, or Celtic if Bellamy goes somewhere else at the end of the season. Both would be good moves, and both fairly likely if he does ask to leave imo. (which i dont think he'll do until the oppertunity is gone)

Out of the 2, i would prefer to see him become the new Larson of celtic, and at least be getting first team football and scoring week in, week out, all be it against weaker opisition, with the benefits of champions leauge football. Hopefully will send his confidence sky high, which is always crucial for a striker.
    .[/edit]

There is no way he will end up at Celtic unless Spurs off load him for £3m and he takes a 40% cut in his weekly wage. Celtic do not have the money to buy him and it looks likely they will not have the money to buy Bellamy either (even if Bellamy wanted to stay).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

but they have 4 strikers now ! Defoe is better than robbie tbf and he isnt playing often
    Defoe: Place of birth:England (somewhere there doesn't matter)
    Keane: Place of birth:Tallaght

If that was the other way around sky, the sun et al would be trying to get Jermain out of spurs, not keane, an irishman will never have the chance to be as good as any englishman, if Roy Keane was Wnglish he would have won world player of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

of course, since its only english men who vote for world playero f the year.

the reason robbie cant get his game is because hes a fat whinging tub of lard.

I was talking aobut robbie jolly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Pretty much what cheesedude said.
    As a Spurs fan, I have to say it's tough for him but Robbie is just too inconsistent and he misses to many chances that other players would nail. He's certainly a good worker, certainly makes life difficult for defenders and he's not bad when played in other positions other than in front of Goal, but he just does not have the finishing skills needed to maintain a first team place given the current squad at Spurs. I think the move to Inter happened too fast and when he was too young, but to be fair he would have been daft not to give it a shot.
    I was hoping the influence of Martin Jol might have given him the lift he needed to improve his finishing, particularly given that Jol is a Coach style manager. There's still a chance and he does appear to have improved this year, but unfortunately not enough just yet. Hopefully if he stays around he will improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

well i dont think leaving wolves was a mistake but certainly going to inter was!

In retrospect maybe, but who would turn down a move from Coventry to Inter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

dcarroll wrote:
    Defoe: Place of birth:England (somewhere there doesn't matter)
    Keane: Place of birth:Tallaght

If that was the other way around sky, the sun et al would be trying to get Jermain out of spurs, not keane, an irishman will never have the chance to be as good as any englishman, if Roy Keane was Wnglish he would have won world player of the year
    Oh for fúck sake. Defoe is clearly a better player, better team mate, better finisher and in better form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Well Mark Hughes will be looking for a striker in the summer, and Bellamy might want to link up with Hughes, if Rovers can reach a financial settlement with Newcastle.

If they cant Hughes might be temped to bid for Keane who because he's not british, is undervalued, and under appriciated!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

A Totally overrated player - he is not a team player and prob after Shearer the biggest whinger in the game at the moment. When his fancy flicks don't work he blames every body else but himself, he rarely puts in 100% for the full match, if things are going well he might but if not he will barely try.

Has the talent but not the attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Maybe the only one here but I like Keane....think he is a good player but just needs to get some good coaching....maybe a move to Villa would be a good one....with him alongside Juan Pablo Angel would be a good combination......not sure if Deadly Doug would pay for him.....but wouldnt worry about wages sure arnt Leeds still paying some of his wages like Fowlers?

Maybe Celtic can buy him from Spurs on a never never like Leeds sold Folwer....haha!!! Can only see Celtic or Villa moving for him.....maybe Charlton cause they need a striker!!

I think how Robbie deals with this now is important. I hope he knuckles down to get first team football at spurs and not look for the easy option out. Jol is a good manager, he is a coaching manager and is something Robbie needs. Looking at the stats, robbie has done very well at spurs, he just has to work on other aspects of his game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I'm not surprised by this andI reckon he may have put a nail in his own coffin.

Robbie Keane seems to think he is better than he is. He seems to think a team should play around him and he seems to think he is in the same class as Duff (understandable seeing as they both came to prominence playing together around the same time).

He is wrong on all counts. In fairness, I reckon alot of it has to do with his transfers and I do think that the move to Inter ruined his attitude.

What he needs is a totalitarian manager with excellent coaching skills (or excellent coaches) and a "do the basic things right" approach. Basically someone who won't indulge is flashy attitude and get him doing what he should be doing, that is, making and scoring goals.

Unfortunately the PL doesn't have many of these, or at least, those there are wouldn't be at clubs that would want to sign him.

He'll never go to a team now that will challenge for anything more than the FA cup and a UEFA place and to be fair I think managers of those teams would get a better value deal signing Morrisson.

Robbie is his own worst enemy and I really think that his head has been turned between his brief spell at Milan and his Ireland stardom.

I think the best thing that could happen to him now, would be coming down to earth with a bang and having to work his way back up. Maybe a transfer to the likes of City (Pearce might sort him out) and losing his starting place for Ireland for a few games (which, if we had another striker playing first team PL football, would probably already have happened).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

psi wrote:
    I'm not surprised by this andI reckon he may have put a nail in his own coffin.

Robbie Keane seems to think he is better than he is. He seems to think a team should play around him and he seems to think he is in the same class as Duff (understandable seeing as they both came to prominence playing together around the same time).

He is wrong on all counts. In fairness, I reckon alot of it has to do with his transfers and I do think that the move to Inter ruined his attitude.

What he needs is a totalitarian manager with excellent coaching skills (or excellent coaches) and a "do the basic things right" approach. Basically someone who won't indulge is flashy attitude and get him doing what he should be doing, that is, making and scoring goals.

Unfortunately the PL doesn't have many of these, or at least, those there are wouldn't be at clubs that would want to sign him.

He'll never go to a team now that will challenge for anything more than the FA cup and a UEFA place and to be fair I think managers of those teams would get a better value deal signing Morrisson.

Robbie is his own worst enemy and I really think that his head has been turned between his brief spell at Milan and his Ireland stardom.

I think the best thing that could happen to him now, would be coming down to earth with a bang and having to work his way back up. Maybe a transfer to the likes of City (Pearce might sort him out) and losing his starting place for Ireland for a few games (which, if we had another striker playing first team PL football, would probably already have happened).
    At last, a bloody decent post.
    What is with everyone and their personal insults? He's a decent lad, one of the most decent Irish players there is. This is a player who has been Spurs' top scorer twice and won player of the year twice in his 2 seasons at the club. He is having a decent season with 15 goals and finds himself being the last outfield player on the bench when Spurs need a goal. He shouldn't have went into the dressing room while the game was still in play though.
    TheMonster wrote:
    A Totally overrated player - he is not a team player
    He has set up 5 premiership goals this season, 6 last season. He may not look like a team player on the pitch but is involved in a lot more goals than Defoe.
    I love if he came to villa, but i doubt doug ellis would be willing to pay him stg55,000 per week, unless of course he wants to take a paycut.
    Robbie gets paid £40k. Spurs only pay him £25k of that though, Leeds pay the rest. He'd quite happily cut £5-10k off if it meant first team football. He'd easily get £40k a week though somewhere in Europe. Villa have £20 mil to spend in the summer so maybe he could be off to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

But Coventry was hardly getting all ambitious too soon. They were an established Premiership side, but still a small one. He got to take the step up to the Premiership immediately but without going to a huge side.
    Actually he nearly went to Boro instead of Coventry. The deal was done and Robbie was happy with going to Boro (instead of Coventry) and then Robbies agent kicked up a fuss by looking for more money for himself (apparently). Gibson refused to pay the agent (i think it was half a mill he was looking for) and then Robbie went to Coventry instead. Things might have turned out differently.

Anyway, there are rumours that we might be back in for him. We were offered Kanoute last summer but McClaren didnt want him. We have supposedly agreed a deal with Yakubu's people but if that falls through i could see a move for Keane being made. Thats the kind of player that McClaren wants - someone with a bit of flair that can score goals.

Another option i heard was Sunderland. They are almost certainly up next season and will be looking to increase their firepower. Marcus Stewart is getting on and didnt exactly set the premiership alight the last time he was in it. He's also had a few injuries since then and looks to have lost some of his pace. What do you think of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Boro wrote:
    Actually he nearly went to Boro instead of Coventry. The deal was done and Robbie was happy with going to Boro (instead of Coventry) and then Robbies agent kicked up a fuss by looking for more money for himself (apparently). Gibson refused to pay the agent (i think it was half a mill he was looking for) and then Robbie went to Coventry instead. Things might have turned out differently.

Anyway, there are rumours that we might be back in for him. We were offered Kanoute last summer but McClaren didnt want him. We have supposedly agreed a deal with Yakubu's people but if that falls through i could see a move for Keane being made. Thats the kind of player that McClaren wants - someone with a bit of flair that can score goals.

Another option i heard was Sunderland. They are almost certainly up next season and will be looking to increase their firepower. Marcus Stewart is getting on and didnt exactly set the premiership alight the last time he was in it. He's also had a few injuries since then and looks to have lost some of his pace. What do you think of that?

Well Clinton is supposed to be going to Sunderland.....they wanted to sign him last season on loan but didnt work out...he got back his place and said no point going then....if things stay the way they are at Birmingham then a season long loan

Sunderland couldnt afford Robbie....not wages but transfer wise.....they are still trying to recover from being relagated in the first place!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

[Speculation]
    If Wigan get up, their chairman said he would give Jewell 40 million to spend. Now i dont think it would be robbies preferred destination, but if the money was right...?
    [/Speculation]

Actually, i dont think he would go there at all. He might consider himself too big for them. Clinton could be an option though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Robbie Keane has the ability to be a big fish in a small pool , unfortunatly he lacks the ability to be the big fish in a big pool. Sunderland would be his most likely destination,I thin Boro would like more consistancy.

• Advertisement

I really think the 'not a team player' nonsense is, well, nonsense. You'd wonder do people watch him or do they see a player who is skillfull and trys a few tricks and automatically lable him with that? He's constantly dropping back into mid field and making things happen for the team or getting wide and putting crosses in (Which he can do well on either foot). Against Israel he was superb as a team player. Some of his passing was excellent and he was the only creative passer we had on the night. If he was selfish and not a team player he'd sit in the box for the whole match and not move, but he works his arse off and is always trying to set up chances for other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Chucky the tree banned for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I never get why Robbie gets such a hard time on this site. Robbie has played 28 games this season in the premiership, 18 starts. He has scored 9 goals, which is a 1 in 2 record if you just go by the games he has started. A lot of the games he came on as sub, he just came on for less then 10 mins, very hard to do anything. He also had 5 assits. Compare that with Defoe's record, 28 games 24 starts, 12 goals, 2 assists. A 1 in 2 record if you go by games started

There is not much in the difference is there???

So why does everyone rate Defoe so higher then Keane, his touch...Keane has a better touch, workrate?? keane always gives 110%, Defoe is better in the air and is stronger, however to rate him that much higher then Keane on this??? I don’t know...there is also this impression that Keane misses a lot of chances...not sure about that...I always keep an eye out to see if he has scored but I don't follow many spurs games. I am always skeptical when someone slates a player in a team they don't follow that closely. I would rather go by what spurs fans say, and if eirebhoy is correct he was voted Player of the season twice, that’s good enough evidence from me that they rate him highly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

He was also forced to play in midfield quite a few times.

He frustrates me at times incredibly. But he is a decent player and an honest lad. Not a prima-donna at all. I dont understand why people would personally insult him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think Defoe is the better player. He is also younger isn't he!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

So does Henry, a sign of a good striker is getting the chances so long as his scoring ratio is good, and considering Keane is playing for a mid table team and isn't an out and out scorer, his goals/minutes played ratio as a striker in the league is excellent. Same goes for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

If he spent more time getting on with the game instead of moaning at refs everytime someone breathes in his direction then he'd be better off. Look at Duff, he gets hacked for most of every game and more often than not just gets up to see where he'll go for the free. I think Keane lacks concentration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Sunderland would be his most likely destination

Cant see him going to Sunderland - he turn them down after they had agreed a fee with Leeds in 2002.

Villa and possibly Celtic (depending on Bellamy) seem to be the options..

• Advertisement
Advertisement