Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

robbie keane not happy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why would he go to Celtic?

I hope he wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

cheesedude wrote:
    I think Defoe is the better player. He is also younger isn't he!?

The only reason I think that everyone has the opinion that Defoe is better is because of the English Press....everyone is great once they are english but you never hear mention of players from other countries in the same context....except the World Class players...e.g. Henry.......sure most english papers say Gerard is better than Keane.....well Keane showed him this season in the Liverpool game.....also is Keane was the same age as Gerard then Gerard wouldnt be able to tie Keane's shoe laces but the English press would still say Gerard is better or Lampard or someone else!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Cant see him going to Sunderland - he turn them down after they had agreed a fee with Leeds in 2002.

Villa and possibly Celtic (depending on Bellamy) seem to be the options..
    KEANE ON HIS WAY
    Sunderland boss Mick McCarthy has registered an interest in Spurs' £7m striker Robbie Keane, who played under him for the Republic of Ireland, after the player's future at the club came into question following his angry reaction to being on the bench for the full 90 minutes in Tottenham's game against Birmingham. Spurs sporting director Frank Arnesen is adamant that he wants to keep the player. He said: "We don't want to see him go, he's a great player. He wants to play but only the manager Martin Jol can make that decision. But Jol's comment is less convincing. He said: "Maybe Robbie Keane was angry but it's not a problem for us, it's his problem.

Why not? Sunderland are a smaller team, Robbie would be the star - something he seems to enjoy (if not actively pursue?). Theres also the McCarthy link and a few other irish lads there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

what about seeing Elliott and Robbie playing week in week out. With Mc Carticus coaching that nonsense out of Robbies game. It might not be such a bad move from an irish point of view.

what about seeing Elliott and Robbie playing week in week out. With Mc Carticus coaching that nonsense out of Robbies game. It might not be such a bad move from an irish point of view.
    (Maybe a question for another thread) Can McCarthy actually coach though? Anyone have any knowledge or experience of him coaching well/poorly? My opinion of the man was that he got his results through motivation rather than any tactical genius or coaching ability. I dont know if he would be the one to coach the flaws out of Robbies game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Boro wrote:
    (Maybe a question for another thread) Can McCarthy actually coach though? Anyone have any knowledge or experience of him coaching well/poorly? My opinion of the man was that he got his results through motivation rather than any tactical genius or coaching ability. I dont know if he would be the one to coach the flaws out of Robbies game.
    He trained Sean Thornton on a sole basis at 8 in the morning for a few months this season. He seems to have improved a lot already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Hmmm...I wouldn't mind seeing Robbie or Clinto going to Sunderland. Elliot is there top scorer this season, along with Marcus Stewart- 14 in 34 starts (Elliots played less games though..13 goals in 29 starts). I'm just hoping Elliot will still be a first team striker next season after they make summer signings...1 or 2 strikers might come in. If Keane or Morrison is one, it would be great to see a Irish partnership up front, week in, week out in the PL.

Keane has to move in all fairness... Jol reminds me of Mourhinio...Duff only played half the games for Chelsea, despite being there best player, because of rotation, and while i think Defoe is better than Keane (only just), Keane is second best striker at spurs, and should play every game he's available, but Jol rotates strikers..so it must be so frustraiting to play for a manager with that policy...and then he goes and signs another one...who got onto the pitch ahead of Keane in a game they needed a goal...so i cant blame Keane for having enough...and i think he needs to go anywhere that will guarentee him first team football every week in a top leauge.

So I would like to see Keane move this summer. From this thread, the most likely destinations for him would be Newcastle or Aston Villa... both good moves...where he'd be in the top 2 strikers. I'd also like to see Morrison go to Sunderland and partner Elliot all Season in the top flight, and get around 30 goals between them. :) And Kenae to score 20 next season for his new club. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

DubGuy22 wrote:
    Keane has to move in all fairness... Jol reminds me of Mourhinio...Duff only played half the games for Chelsea, despite being there best player, because of rotation

That's not quite true. Duff has started 25 out of 31 games for Chelsea this season and has been subbed on a further 2 times. The 4 games he wasn't involved in were at the very start of the season when Mourinho was trying to get his squad together. In comparison, Robben has only started 14 out of 31 games but has 1 goal more than Duff and 2 assists more than him. Surprising, non?

Robbie certainly needs a new club, one where he can play regularly. I remember John Giles claiming on RTÉ that with the right coaching staff around him, Robbie could be one of the best strikers in the world -- not something I would agree with, but he could certainly improve a lot. He has been in the top 10 league goalscorers for the past 2 seasons with 14 goals each time, so it's undeniable that he is a quality striker, but I feel that Robbie's problems are more of a mental issue -- he dribbles into dead ends; a sign of overconfidence in himself or underconfidence in the players around him?

A team like Sunderland could certainly benefit him, though if they were to go straight back down again he would be looking for a new club all over again. If he has to leave Tottenham, I think he should try and join a more established Premier League side, something along the lines of Middlesbrough / Charlton / Aston Villa, somewhere he can settle and somewhere he will be picked to start regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

DubGuy22 wrote:

Keane has to move in all fairness... Jol reminds me of Mourhinio...Duff only played half the games for Chelsea, despite being there best player, because of rotation

D'oh! Sorry, i ment Jol reminds me of Claudio Ranieri, not Mourhinio! My bad :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The reports are that Moyes has been watching the latest developments and Everton are likely to make a summer bid for him (substantially less than the reported 7 million in January).

Everton would be a good move. Moyes is a good coach with a no-nonsense approach to players. The team spirit at Everton is superb and it may just be the atmosphere and team tactics that he needs to fulfill his potential.

Tottenham's unhappy striker Robbie Keane has played down suggestions he could quit the club after being fined for storming down the tunnel against Birmingham on Saturday.

A club spokesman confirmed to BBC Sport that Keane has been handed a fine of around £10,000 for his display of petulance when coach Martin Jol opted to introduce Egyptian striker Mido as a second-half substitute.

The bust-up sparked suggestions the Republic of Ireland striker would quit the club in the summer after becoming frustrated at having to sit on the bench behind first-choice strikers Fredi Kanoute and England ace Jermain Defoe.

Keane quit Leeds because he was not guaranteed first-team football and his career at White Hart Lane now appears to be going sour for the same reason.

Clearly Jol and the club's sporting director Frank Arnesen were unhappy with Keane's reaction at St. Andrews but both insist there is no way Keane will be allowed to leave, despite interest from Barclays Premiership rivals Everton.

Keane, for the moment, continues to see his future in north London and is looking to return to the team in the near future.

Keane told Sky Sports: "Hopefully I will be playing and scoring goals and we will see how far we get. You have just got to get on with it. You cannot moan about it."

But despite his comments, Keane's advisors will be anxious to move their client on if he is not restored to the first-team before the end of the season. They have refused to comment on his situation so far.

Keane has scored vital goals for the club after coming on as a substitute but would prefer to partner Defoe or Kanoute in attack from the start.

However, coach Jol does not believe that a Defoe/Keane partnership works because of their lack of height.

The Dutchman prefers Kanoute for his strength and ability in the air and on-loan Mido has similar qualities.

Keane has consistently maintained he is happy to fight for his place among the strikers now at the club but his temperament is clearly being tested to the full.

There will be no shortage of takers for the Irishman should Spurs decide to let him leave. Keane cost the club £7million from Leeds and the Londoners would want to recoup the fee from any of the interested parties.

However, Keane's value is likely to diminish if he stays on the bench, which will encourage teams such as Everton, Liverpool, Newcastle and Aston Villa to continue to monitor his situation.

Looks like robbie doesnt want to move, or so he says. But if he was getting regular first team football at liverpool it might not be such a bad move, liverpool look like they are on the up !

Well it might be good if Keane stayed at Spurs too.
    1. He may learn some discipline, restraint and general cop-on from this incident (being ordered to train with the youths/reserves, fined, etc)
    2. Having Andy Reid playing with him was going to be good for both of them.

Jol and Arnesen seem to be taking a hard line which could be good if Robbie sticks it out and comes through it stronger by winning his place back. If he takes the easy way out by leaving, well some say he has been taking the easy way all through his career so far... not a good thing to reinforce that type of attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Boro wrote:
    Well it might be good if Keane stayed at Spurs too.
    1. He may learn some discipline, restraint and general cop-on from this incident (being ordered to train with the youths/reserves, fined, etc)
    2. Having Andy Reid playing with him was going to be good for both of them.

Jol and Arnesen seem to be taking a hard line which could be good if Robbie sticks it out and comes through it stronger by winning his place back. If he takes the easy way out by leaving, well some say he has been taking the easy way all through his career so far... not a good thing to reinforce that type of attitude.

If he needs to take Defoes place in order to stay he should start packing. Robbie appears to over estimated his worth to the team. I would definitely play Kanoute and Defoe ahead of him, I don't think he's even as good as Mido , but I have only seen Mido a couple of times.

If both of them were in form or both of them were out of form I'd pick Defoe ahead of Keane but the fact is Defoe has 1 goal in 7 games while Keane has 3 in 6 (he only started half of those). Keane is the most in-form striker at the club and should have started, or at least came off the bench, on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

He's also miles better than Kanoute imo the muppet, far better. He's unfortunate that Jol seems to think he and Defoe can't work together, I disagree with that, I think they'd work very well together and have scored goals together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Yeah have to agree with you there. I seen Defoe and Keane play together in a couple of spurs games this season and I thought they played really well together. One particalar game I watched over xmas...think it was against Norwich away, they looked like a real good partnership. I guess Jol like's the little and large combination.

My opinion on Keane is that he is very inconsistant. When he does something right he is world class but the he'll try something and look like a sunday league player. He frusrates me, if he were consistantly good he would be first choice.

I have not seen a lot of Kanoute lately but he is a different type of player than Keane Ie the bigger stong type than will give you knock ons etc to score from. IMO keane will never do that and so is in competition with Defoe for the first team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Yes but if Keanes inconsistent Kanoute is taking the píss. He scored something like 3/4 premiership goals in the entire year of 2004, and for a big man doesn't throw himself about near enough to be an effective targetman.

Kanoute is 28 this year and has 61 career goals, he made his debut at the age of 20. That is woeful tbh.

I would like to see the full stats for assists etc etc and compare them with Robbie but I don't have time at the moment to reserch them. As I said I have not seen much of Kanoute lately so maybe I am wrong.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    I would like to see the full stats for assists etc etc and compare them with Robbie but I don't have time at the moment to reserch them. As I said I have not seen much of Kanoute lately so maybe I am wrong.

Wat have you against Keane? Kanoute shouldnt be allowed tie his shoe laces.....biggest waster up front....cant hold up ball....cant head.....cant score....and still Jol plays him...if I was keane I wud tell Jol where to go and play Kanoute all he wants up front.....they will still be in mid table for the next 2-3 season if Jol cant spot talent......he is supposed to be a great coach and so on but why does he still play Kanoute up front? if he likes the big one/little one combination then plays Mido who is twice the player Kanoute is but still just behind Keane!!

Kanoute isnt really a target man though. Alright he is big, and has a great touch, but he doesnt really have enough agression or positional sense to do that job properly. Some of the goals he has scored have been amazing though, and he does bring other players into the game (more so that defoe/keane imo).

The problem with Kanoute though is that he is incredibly injury prone. He always seems to be either out or coming back from injury, which definitely effects his goalscoring.
    Club	        From	         To	        Fee	        League	FA Cup	League cup	        Other	
    Tottenham	04-08-2003	                 £ 3500000 	35 (18)	12	6 (0)	3	5 (2)	4	0 (0)	0	
    West Ham	15-05-2000	04-08-2003	£ 3700000 	71 (5)	27	5 (0)	4	3 (0)	0	0 (0)	0	
    West Ham	23-03-2000	14-05-2000	Loan 	         8 (0)	2	0 (0)	0	0 (0)	0	0 (0)	0	
    Lyon	        01-07-1997	15-05-2000	Youth 	       19 (21)	9	0 (0)	0	0 (0)0	  0 (0)	0

(appologies for the formatting - Linky)
    As you can see, West Ham bought him in may 2000 and since then he scored 50 in 150 appearances - a 1 in 3 ratio which isnt bad considering his injury problems. Jol does seem to like playing him though. It wouldnt have been a problem had Santini stayed on, as the two (apparently) dont get on. Robbie has around the same goalscoring ratio as Kanoute ([urlhttp://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=11957]Linky[/url]) but brings different aspects to the game.

Keane just has to wait for his chance though, Kanoute will probably get injured soon (unfortunately for him). Then he just has to get Mido out of the way. If he works hard and shuts his gob, he should be back in the team soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Premier Stats for this season

Kanoute........Mins-1492...Goals-5....Assists-6
    Keane...........Mins-1793...Goals-9....Assists-5
    Defoe............Mins-2185...Goals-12..Assists-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Boro wrote:
    Keane just has to wait for his chance though, Kanoute will probably get injured soon (unfortunately for him). Then he just has to get Mido out of the way. If he works hard and shuts his gob, he should be back in the team soon.

not sure its that simple - Jol doesn't seem to think Defoe and Keane work together.

From looking at soccerbase (I could be wrong), Keane and Kanoute have played together 8 times and they've only failed to score once. Defoe and Kanoute have played together 12 times and they've failed to score 4 times. Keane and Defoe have played together 16 times and they've failed to score 5 times.

As I've said, I only looked over who played and who scored but it looks like Keane has partnered either Kanoute or Defoe 24 times and they've only failed to produce 6 times. When Keane has partnered either they've scored 22 in 24 games. Add this to the fact that Keane is the most in-form of the strikers, imagine how you'd feel being the last outfield player on the bench when the team is looking for a goal.

Whether Keane is inconsistant or not, if he doesn't score his partner usually does.

Nice one 'Statto' :)
    I think that if we asked Jol though, we might find out it has nothing to do with goalscoring or ratios, but maybe comes down to attitude.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wat have you against Keane?

Absolutly nothing, he is Irelands best striker and deserves automatic selection for the National team. I just don't believe that's the case with Tottenham.

Boro wrote:
    Nice one 'Statto' :)
    I think that if we asked Jol though, we might find out it has nothing to do with goalscoring or ratios, but maybe comes down to attitude.

I have never heard one manager before this complain about Keane's attitude!!!! he got pissed off and walked away because he wanted to play so much....not much to complain about there.....I would be worrying if he was like Ziegler who said it was ok that he was sitting on bench at Liverpool because he was being paided so much....now thats an atitude problem!!

Everton will launch a £10million summer raid for Spurs duo Robbie Keane and Simon Davies whether they clinch a Champions League place or not.

David Moyes has transformed the Toffees this season but has seen their lead over arch rivals Liverpool in the race for elite European football trimmed to just one point with seven games remaining.

They have lost four of their last five league games and exited the FA Cup after defeat to Manchester United - and many pundits and fans blame the slump in form on the lack of creativity in the team since Thomas Gravesen left to join Real Madrid.

Moyes pondered a £5million move for Wales winger Davies in the January transfer window but was put off by injury troubles.

Davies is now fully fit, though, so the Everton chief is expected to renew his interest in the summer and throw his hat into the ring for Republic of Ireland star Keane as well.

Keane is unsettled at White Hart Lane after failing to command a regular first-team place under boss Martin Jol this season - and his mood will not have been lightened by a £10,000 fine this week.

Moyes sees Keane as an ideal strike partner for James Beattie, who arrived at Goodison Park in January, and will be given funds whether he secures a place in the lucrative Champions League or not as they look to build on this season's progress.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/05/04/07/manual_090739.html

Big Nelly wrote:
    I have never heard one manager before this complain about Keane's attitude!!!! he got pissed off and walked away because he wanted to play so much....not much to complain about there.....I would be worrying if he was like Ziegler who said it was ok that he was sitting on bench at Liverpool because he was being paided so much....now thats an atitude problem!!
    That was Ziege the german international. Ziegler is swiss and never played for liverpool.

Re: Keane and attitude, i was hypothesizing. Eirebhoy showed stats to say that he is better in the team than out. Surely Jol would have stats too. Im just saying there could be another issue and that could be attitude?

• Advertisement

Boro wrote:
    That was Ziege the german international. Ziegler is swiss and never played for liverpool.

Re: Keane and attitude, i was hypothesizing. Eirebhoy showed stats to say that he is better in the team than out. Surely Jol would have stats too. Im just saying there could be another issue and that could be attitude?

You know wat I meant....never was a good speller :D ....was point was that if no manger he has ever worked with(quite a few now) have never complained about his atitude so cant really bring that into the equation! think its just Jol has been listening to the Sun to much and thinks that Defoe is great.....I think as an overall player that Keane is better than Defoe......

I hope Jol changes his mind. We need Robbie and Clint playing first team football for the Israel game. We dont need reserve players !!! robbie should have thought a bit more before he went off down the tunnel like a prima donna. (although he is right in being pissed off, he should get more games).

I hope Jol has the best intrests of Robbie at heart, i.e coaching the misses, flicks, faints, etc out of his game. He may not give a damn about Robbie or Ireland. Everton or liverpool might be the best move

Advertisement