Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bittorrent and DSL speed increases.

• 03-04-2005 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed bittorrent being a bit funny about these new speed upgrades? It's as if IOL are throttling bittorrent now.

I got a 60 meg iso off heanet there at a solid 220kB/s so I definately am at full line speed. However, azureus wont download any faster than 60kB/s for me. I definately don't have the speed limited by anything on my computer so I'm a bit confused about it. The problem is also definately not the torrent in question as there are 1000 seeders and 700 leeches on it. I've tried numerous other torrents, including ones with 600 seeders and 30 leeches. Still can't get over 60 kB/s though.....

Anyone else seen anything like this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

I have gotten around 160kb steady on the very first torrent that i downloaded since the change :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To put it simply: your upload speed has remained the same!

And as far as i know: no increase in upload speed means don't expect BitTorrent to improve greatly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Yeah your right. the greater your upload speed the faster you download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

I'm aware of that. The torrents i'm trying are *saturated* with upload speed thought. This is on a torrent site with huge bandwidth. My friend in england can get 220kB/s easily on these torrents while only uploading 5 kB/s.

Theres 20 times as many seeders as leeches for cryin out loud!

EDIT: Just after submitting this post the torrent jumped from 55 kB/s to 200 kB/s :D:D:D It's as if azureus wanted a chance to get used to it or something, lol. Or maybe it felt threatened because I installed ABC to try instead of it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah your right. the greater your upload speed the faster you download
    ... and it's a complete bastard!!

Considering a good portion of the stuff i download (all legal, of course) is from BitTorrent!

Has any of the ISP's increased their upload speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

I don't think it's possible to block a specific app like BitTorrent.

They can only block the default port (6881), but if you change the port to a random one, I don't think they can distinguish that from other traffic? I might be wrong on that though.

But yeah, I've been getting a torrent too and it hasn't gone above 60kB all day, although I think that's just the torrent it self.

There are sophisticated ways of guessing if youre using bittorrent though. I believe BT trialled them in the UK before, and digiweb here. It monitors what types of connections youre making and how many of them. I'd imagine bittorrent would stand out from the crowd to a well written detection program.

BACK on topic i've crawled back down to 50kB/s :( Oh well, im sure itll all be working sooner or later. Just working on my pentium 2 300mhz 64meg of ram box to leave on torrenting 24/7 now *cackles*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Setup Port Forwarding correctly on your modem.
    Change your port to 32543 or something on your client and router

Upload speed has 0/Zero input into how fast you can download torrents.

I have tested this by setting Netlimiter to cap my uploading to other leechers at 1k and there was no change in my download speed.
    Of course it will take much...much longer to achieve parity with a downlaod/upload ratio of 16/1 but thats about it.

Upload speed has NO effect on your torrent download speed!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

diarmo wrote:

Upload speed has NO effect on your torrent download speed!!!

It does in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

im having same problem, same old speed, so i change my port number on my router ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

the more upload you have the more clients you can upload to, the more clients you can download off.

Simple :)

It does in my experience.

Well thats one mans judgement against another.

In my experience thought....I was able to get 55K speeds with only a couple of seeders irrespective of my upload being 1k or 12k.

Then again I dont know how you have setup your torrent client or which type you use.
    I normially use Bitcomet as you can choose whether or not to download certain files.
    I have also setup my port forwarding and the client as outlined in http://www.portforward.com/.

I have not tested out my 2mbit connection fully with torrent downloads as of yet but going on past experience....upload speed has NO influence on your download speed as long as you have freed up your desired port..also dont use ports in the range 6881-6999 as they are the usual suspects for any ISP throttling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It depends on how the tracker is configured. You probably will max out your bandwidth on torrents with lots of seeds. I'm getting 110k on a torrent right now, I'm stuck on 1MB at moment though :(

do you all foward your ports when using bit torent ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Some clients like Azureus have a built in throttling system to deny leeches, go below 10k upload and it affects your max download speed. Makes sense tbh.

http://members.boards.ie/kdjac/heheh.JPG

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Use bittornado, and forward your ports. In bitornado, make sure the port range is set to the same range you are forwarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

In compairing EsatBT/IOLBB yesterday with Eircom before and after the Eircom upgrade I can say that for many sites there's not much difference, but whatever eircom did upstream has on average decreesed latency, thus reducing overheads and giving better download times with azureus. I'll test iolbb again this evening.

Sorry diarmo but youre just plain wrong. Please read anything *at all* about bittorrent. The entire protocol is based on the idea of faster uploading = faster downloading. Don't be spreading such blatant misinformation on something that you havent researched.

For the record, yes I do have my ports forwarded and have had all along. I dont think I'd be getting 60 kB/s otherwise....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

KdjaC wrote:
    Some clients like Azureus have a built in throttling system to deny leeches, go below 10k upload and it affects your max download speed. Makes sense tbh.
    Can you back this up? Because with my crappy 128k up if I go to 11k up I start flooding my connection and my download goes down the tube :( I may change client then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Eircom 2MB.

bt.gif

Client - Azureues 2.2.0.2
    Global Upload capped to 6Kb/s
    Upload slots - 2
    Connection Limit per Torrent - 200
    Connection Limit Global - 0 (unlimited)
    Max Simulataneous Outbound Connection Attempts - 16
    Port 6800 ( Azureus uses UPnP dynamic port mapping - automatically forwarded :-> )

Often you would need to wait up to 10 minutes before things get to speed

• Advertisement

padraigf wrote:
    Sorry diarmo but youre just plain wrong. Please read anything *at all* about bittorrent. The entire protocol is based on the idea of faster uploading = faster downloading. Don't be spreading such blatant misinformation on something that you havent researched.

For the record, yes I do have my ports forwarded and have had all along. I dont think I'd be getting 60 kB/s otherwise....

I have done a HUGE amount of research into torrents and its associated protocol!!!

I feel personially insulted that you would say such things as I am a practicing Electronics Engineer(B.Eng) with a number of years of experience in computer engineering!!!
    What are your credentials...Sir???

I'll put this to you.
    If I begin to download a torrent from 10 seeds and I am the only leech connected...I will be unable to download as I am unable to upload!!!
    Well thats plain stupid...just as is your reasoning!!!
    Sometimes, limiting your upload rate will increase your download rate. This is especially true for asymmetric connections such as cable and ADSL, where the outbound bandwidth is much smaller than the inbound bandwidth. If you are seeing very high upload rates and low download rates, this is probably the case. The reason this happens is due to the nature of TCP/IP -- every packet received must be acknowledged with a small outbound packet. If the outbound link is saturated with BitTorrent data, the latency of these TCP/IP ACKs will rise, causing poor efficiency.

Use a client that allows limiting of the upload rate, and set it to around 80% of the maximum rate observed. It can be tempting to limit the rate to very small values. On very healthy torrents, this will not adversely affect the download rate.

taken from

http://btfaq.com/cgi-bin/fom?amp=&file=38

I demand an APOLOGY padraigf you arrogant little sh!t!!!

Can you back this up? Because with my crappy 128k up if I go to 11k up I start flooding my connection and my download goes down the tube :( I may change client then.

Easiest way to see it place in your max download speed (ie not 0 for unlimited) then keep changing the upload you will Azureus changes your download speed to keep you ummm fair so to speak.

But as above has posted about 6kb upload he has changed his upload slots to 2 maybe that stops it.

Im all for giving as much as i get its fair it keeps the download speeds up and makes leeches suffer.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

diarmo wrote:
    Why should he? Re-read what you posted.....
    On very healthy torrents, this will not adversely affect the download rate.
    So there are cases where a higher upload will help your download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

diarmo wrote:
    I have done a HUGE amount of research into torrents and its associated protocol!!!

I feel personially insulted that you would say such things as I am a practicing Electronics Engineer(B.Eng) with a number of years of experience in computer engineering!!!

I'll put this to you.
    If I begin to download a torrent from 10 seeds and I am the only leech connected...I will be unable to download as I am unable to upload!!!

taken from

Keep your bleedin hair on - you left out the important bit:
    However, when there are fewer peers you will generally get higher download rates by allowing the highest upload rate possible before saturating the link -- the (approx.) 80% sweet spot.

Whatever about your subsequent explanation, your original claim that limiting your upload has no effect on download whatsoever is quite simply wrong - as someone else said:
    Bittorrent peers tend to favour those other peers that upload to them. This means that if A and B are leeching the same torrent and A is sending data to B at high speed then B will try to reciprocate. So due to this effect high upload speeds lead to high download speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Straight from the protocol:
    There are several criteria a good choking algorithm should meet. It should cap the number of simultaneous uploads for good TCP performance. It should avoid choking and unchoking quickly, known as 'fibrillation'. It should reciprocate to peers who let it download. Finally, it should try out unused connections once in a while to find out if they might be better than the currently used ones, known as optimistic unchoking.

The currently deployed choking algorithm avoids fibrillation by only changing who's choked once every ten seconds. It does reciprocation and number of uploads capping by unchoking the four peers which it has the best download rates from and are interested. Peers which have a better upload rate but aren't interested get unchoked and if they become interested the worst uploader gets choked. If a downloader has a complete file, it uses its upload rate rather than its download rate to decide who to unchoke.

For optimistic unchoking, at any one time there is a single peer which is unchoked regardless of it's upload rate (if interested, it counts as one of the four allowed downloaders.) Which peer is optimistically unchoked rotates every 30 seconds. To give them a decent chance of getting a complete piece to upload, new connections are three times as likely to start as the current optimistic unchoke as anywhere else in the rotation.

i changed my ports.

getting 50 max, off 2 downloads, 25 each average.
    one has 3(3) seeds
    other has 16(362)

its just the seeds i guess, the screensot above , has 39 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

47 lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

diarmo wrote:

I'll put this to you.

taken from

Hmmm, I suspect you might run into a little flack around here if you're going to wave your BSc around like a +8 Sword of Knowledge. You might discover there's a few people around Boards with degrees ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

A practicing electronics engineer with a number of years of experience in computer engineering that doesn't know the difference between contention and radsl?

.. What?

Why am I getting the strange feeling that you're 14, diarmo?

Anyway, whatever use this thread may have been is no more. If you want a reasoned discusion on bittorrent, try starting a thread in Nets/Comms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement