Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning to Dance

• 03-04-2005 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I knew I was bad at dancing but it wasn't until last night when I went clubbing that I realised just how woeful I am! Does anyone know anywhere that teaches some basic moves that would be of use on a dancefloor?

Help would be appreciated. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Blondie81

I'm thinking half the men in Ireland should be taking a leaf out of your book ;) Don't know of anyone but I'm sure someone on here will help you out. Best of luck. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

But what will you do when the DJ puts on I Can't Dance by Genesis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It depends on what kind of dance moves you're looking for? Did you try the yellow pages? Anyway, you're not alone...i am a national embarresment when it comes to dancing, but i find from experience, if you make a joke out dancing, and act stupid on the dance floor, it can be as much fun for the girl than if you're busting out J.T. moves.

Anyway...this is what id like to dance like, but this is more realistic!! :(

Good Luck! Post up any details you find so we can all learn!! :D Maybe even have a boards.ie dance off :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madmorphy

I knew I was bad at dancing but it wasn't until last night when I went clubbing that I realised just how woeful I am! Does anyone know anywhere that teaches some basic moves that would be of use on a dancefloor?

Help would be appreciated. ;)

What age are you ?Has no one told you that after 24/25 the dancefloor is out.It's standing at the bar with pint in hand,checking out the ladies time for you son.Unless your frequenting raves then you just stand there and move your hands up and down,it's quiet simple really. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

madmorphy wrote:
    What age are you ?Has no one told you that after 24/25 the dancefloor is out.It's standing at the bar with pint in hand,checking out the ladies time for you son.Unless your frequenting raves then you just stand there and move your hands up and down,it's quiet simple really. :D

LOL.. my thoughts exactly.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So many peope just flail about when dancing, its looks rediculous... the most important thing is rhythm. Just make sure that when you're moving you feet and arms/hands, that they go with the beat. If your in a club (i.e. not cheesy crappy music), your feet should tap to the beat, and your hands should stop/change direction on every beat. Thats all the advice I can give you through typing, but if you stick to that you won't look so foolish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Unfortunately when I dance I don't seem to move my legs and I have this tendency to clap often so I end up looking like David Brent. I need some serious work!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Monica: Hey, you ready to get back on the dance floor?
    Chandler: Did it turn into sand?
    Monica: Oh come on! You love this song! Come on, you’ll be fine!
    Chandler: No! No! I won't. Do you know why I took all those lessons? See, for the first time, I didn't want you to be embarrassed to be seen on the dance floor with some clumsy idiot.
    Monica: Oh sweetie! You could never embarrass me!...Ok, you could easily embarrass me! But come on! It doesn’t matter, all right? I married you! So, I’m going to dance with my husband on my wedding night. Come on! (they go on the dance floor) Just try not to move your feet at all.
    Chandler:
    Ok! (Chandler dances by just moving his arms, sems very proud of himself.)
    Monica: You see, There you go!

Jack
    (Ross's Dad): Chandler, I’m going to have you arrested!
    Chandler: Why?
    Jack: You stole my moves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

This is a good thread, i dunno m8 how to explain in a message?
    If you have good balance i.e. most sports ppl would have good balance so dancing comes natural, Ahh the hell with it just move to whatevers in your heart and smile all the time(not cheesy) cuz ya dont want the ladies thinking your cocentrating on dancing like a spanner :p

Oh and btw when John Travolta comes on the floor just shuffle on over to the other corner, dont wanna make urself look even worse.

U could always do a Bez(Happy Mondays) altough you might get ejected for lookin outta your tits :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If you have good balance i.e. most sports ppl would have good balance so dancing comes natural, Ahh the hell with it just move to whatevers in your heart and smile all the time(not cheesy) cuz ya dont want the ladies thinking your cocentrating on dancing like a spanner :p

I wouldn't say I have great balance really. Last night was pretty disastrous for me to be honest. I'm sure the ladies could sense how nervous and uptight I was. Is there a place in town that teaches dance techniques? I just want to know enough to make myself look respectable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

If you can relax, and you can if you have a couple of beers, then you are halfway there.
    Sense of rhythm is the other half. You can develop this very effectively by using a jump rope, and also by juggling.

What i do know is thier is loads of Salsa dancing around, Some serious rythm taught, i know a couple of girls who go and say ''besides been a fantastic laugh'' they really learn how to salsa,

They also say loads of blokes go, im sure if u google it u'll find them ;)

p.s. Thier was a time in my teeny years where i was a raver :o:o So i guess alot of any dancing i do spans from that era, cuz i hadnt a clue before then!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭snoopish

finding the beat to the song is the key and don't make big elaborate moves, just small ones.

Yes, keep your arms relativly close to your body, don;t throw them about all over the place, guaranteed to look like a muppet. And no spinning around, or ducking down and jumping back up! Just look what all the muppets do and don't do any of it. I always like to watch people who are good dancers and kinda try to learn from them

Also, practive at home. Crank up the music, turn down the lights and just go for it. Maybe even in front of a mirror to see what you look like. When you are on your own you won't feel so nervous/up tight - No one can laugh at you so you can just do what you want and enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

No spinning around!!!! Only if you can't do it properly, surely?! Michael, Justin and I can spin - don't be haterizing :)

What about my baffling tendency to clap my hands every 5 seconds during a song?Is that a big no no?

clapping is fine...just not every 5 seconds, Clap to the beat every now and then, as for spinning , only when the jackons five's abc comes on :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Don't clap, unless you're pulling some amazing moves, it draws attention to you. Go to Salsa dancing, it's great and you will learn to dance (better). It's a confidence thing really, just be confident that you look good and don't be afraid to let go. Let your body listen to the music, it'll soon start to happen.

I also would advise getting a few movies out and looking at them for clues, but it all depends on your style, and what music you like. If you go out dressed in a tight shirt and straight leg jeans don't try to dance hip-hop etc ;)

It was funny when they played 'New York, New York' by Frank Sinatra at the end of the evening and I had no one to dance with so I just continued dancing the way I had all evening! I must have looked like a right muppet but I didn't care at the time cos of the drink. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Like a lot of people have said Salsa classes are great for learning to dance. Swing dance classes are possibly better for someone with no experience, I went to a few with an ex girlfriend and can still move okay once I've a partner on a dancefloor. Without one though, dear god I'm awful. A friend captured it quite well once: the world's most extravagently bad dancer. Still, I have the craic and have always worked off the basis that if I'm having fun and you're standing there thinking I look like a spanner, what do I care: I'm enjoying myself more than you! ;)

Advertisement