Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Easypass for a motorbike?

Options
  • 03-04-2005 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

anybody got one/know if you can get one???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dee mm

Yepp get one, bung it in your pocket, drive through the toll. Easy. :) Now all you have to wonder is, why do bikes have to pay the toll!!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

i was thinking the same thing crossing the severn bridge last summer on my bike. If you dont have to pay a toll driving from England back to Wales going over this mammoth bridge, why the hell should bikers have to pay a toll on a poxy few miles of road? To a larger extent, why should anyone have to pay a toll on the poxy M50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

rymus wrote:
    i was thinking the same thing crossing the severn bridge last summer on my bike. If you dont have to pay a toll driving from England back to Wales going over this mammoth bridge, why the hell should bikers have to pay a toll on a poxy few miles of road? To a larger extent, why should anyone have to pay a toll on the poxy M50?
    u wouldent mind paying if the f.....n traffic moved on the m50,bikes should b free for sure ;) b stuck on the f.....n m50 in the morning,if i get up any earlier to beat the traffic,il just head to work the night before :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

therein lies the paradox. we wouldnt mind paying if the traffic wasnt backed up. If there was no toll's there would be no traffic backup. Can everyone in the dublin/kildare/offaly/louth area that commute to Dublin chip in a few quid and maybe the public can buy the toll plaza. That'd be a turn up for the books

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I don't like tolls in principle, maybe it's a hangover from the occupation, I don't know, maybe I just don't like having to have change ready, maybe I don't like the queues.

But there are other ways of charging tolls that don't cause the ridiculous situation like on the M50.
    For example, the number of vehicles that pass through over the bridge are counted (easily done electronically) and the government pay an agreed amount per vehicle to the toll-bridge owners from the exchequer (our road taxes - I know, another joke). But this way no-one has to stop, there are no toll-booths, no toll-operators, and a lot less equipment to maintain.

The toll booths are like a lock'n'quay, they back everything up for miles and only let a trickle through. And a serious impact they do have on the economy is freedom of movement, I'm South of the toll bridge, and I won't pay a toll, so I never shop in Blanhardstown etc., and I wouldn't work for a company that is North of the toll-bridge. Maybe it's just me, but I stick my two fingers up to the toll V :p

causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Well, regarding the original posters query, why pay for the toll bridge at all? The post that obstructs the lane is only big enough to stop a car from getting by and there is plenty of room for a bike to zoom by without paying anything......... One guy on a motorcycle done it on one of the Artic lanes that are on your left and wasn't paying attention or something, all I know is he ended up underneath a truck and died!

I don't agree that the toll bridge causes the traffic on the M50, a lot of it is traffic coming onto the slip roads at blanch and also the mad cow. Even if the toll was removed this might exacerbate the problem even more by backing the slip roads up even more than they are now!

There's only so much traffic a slip can take at a time....... Thankfully I don't and refuse to use the toll bridge so doesn't bother me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,862 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

there is plenty of room for a bike to zoom by without paying anything......... One guy on a motorcycle done it on one of the Artic lanes that are on your left and wasn't paying attention or something, all I know is he ended up underneath a truck and died!
    Actually the biker was stopped waiting to pay his toll, truck behind sees the queue moving up so he moves off, either he didn't look up or looked up too late when the bike was too close and hidden from his view, drove right over it.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

I don't agree that the toll bridge causes the traffic on the M50, a lot of it is traffic coming onto the slip roads at blanch and also the mad cow. Even if the toll was removed this might exacerbate the problem even more by backing the slip roads up even more than they are now!
    Thankfully I don't and refuse to use the toll bridge so doesn't bother me really.
    The toll bridge doesn't cause the traffic, people in their cars/vans/trucks cause the traffic, but the toll bridge causes the tailbacks. There's a huge queue on the approach to the toll bridge - and on the far side of the toll bridge - no queue. I wonder if it's the toll-bridge :D

Take the morning traffic congestion near exit 12 (several miles from the tollbridge), where the Gardai said that while many residents would like a Garda controlling traffic, in their judgement it would not help matters as the underlying issue is the backup on the M50 from the tollbridge.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

ninja900 wrote:
    Actually the biker was stopped waiting to pay his toll, truck behind sees the queue moving up so he moves off, either he didn't look up or looked up too late when the bike was too close and hidden from his view, drove right over it.

Well don't let the truth get in the way of a good story...... must've been one of them purple monkey dishwasher stories that got fed to me.
    causal wrote:
    The toll bridge doesn't cause the traffic, people in their cars/vans/trucks cause the traffic, but the toll bridge causes the tailbacks.

Traffic, tailbacks same difference stop nit picking. :rolleyes:

causal wrote:
    Take the morning traffic congestion near exit 12 (several miles from the tollbridge), where the Gardai said that while many residents would like a Garda controlling traffic, in their judgement it would not help matters as the underlying issue is the backup on the M50 from the tollbridge.

causal

Ok, so you begin your point by saying the Toll bridge doesn't cause TAILBACKS yet you say that there is traffic congestion near exit 12 of the M50....... hmmm.

I could pretty safely say if they opened up the bridge there would still be tailbacks on the M50 from people queuing for the more popular exits namely the Liffey Valley Blanch and Red cow exits.

It's not the bridge that's the problem, it's the fact that every slip road with the exception of 1 or 2 come up onto a roundabout controlled by bloody traffic lights!

Just my 2c, trying to perhaps offer a different view on this "Burn the Toll Bridge booths and everybody in them, they ruin my life" subject. ;)

Ok, so you begin your point by saying the Toll bridge doesn't cause TAILBACKS yet you say that there is traffic congestion near exit 12 of the M50....... hmmm.
    No that's not correct. Read what I said again: "but the toll bridge causes the tailbacks". And the Gardai said the root cause was the toll bridge.
    I could pretty safely say if they opened up the bridge there would still be tailbacks on the M50 from people queuing for the more popular exits namely the Liffey Valley Blanch and Red cow exits.
    Nobody is saying that if the tollbooths are removed there will be no queues on the M50. The queues on the sliproads are an additional problem, which is exacerbated by the toll bridge in many cases.
    Just my 2c, trying to perhaps offer a different view on this "Burn the Toll Bridge booths and everybody in them, they ruin my life" subject.
    Aye, that's fair enough, but I don't see any reason to burn the people in the toll booths! And 2c isn't enough - you'll need €1.80.

Anyway, madrab you can get details from eazypass online

causal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Billabong

Firstly a think its ridiculous that the company that run the toll bridge got a 15 year contract on which they stand to make a minimum of 2000% profit, thats f'in ridiculous, whos gettin paid off for that kind of deal. Why cant the government build it themselves, make their money back in a few years and then bulldoze the toll plaza or at the very worst plough the profits back into the roads.

I'm a biker and I make a point of cutting to the top of the queue and following this routine everytime.

1 - stop, take it easy and put her in neutral
    2 - Take both gloves off and place them neatly on your tank
    3 - route around in every pocket for change, before finding the pocket you had put the change in with foresight.
    4 - have a chat with betty the toll girl, I find they're always delighted with a bit of banter.
    5 - when the barrier goes up and the cage driver behind you says to himself , "about f'in time", drop a glove on the ground and have a nice strech down to get it.
    6 - suit up, kick in to gear and blitz away from the toll with a smile on your face. Does the trick everytime, and maybe the toll company will just give it up and set up a free bike lane like they have beside the point (same company as far as I know. :D

This is essentially the extent of roadrage on a bike as we haven't got cages to bully people with.

Advertisement