Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo tattoos

Options
  • 03-04-2005 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭

hi, just wondering what are peoples experiences and opinions on these? Got one done about a year ago, its pretty small, about 2 inches by 2 inches. Anyway, the thing is there are a couple of really faded spots on it already. This is my only tattoo so im wondering how normal is this? I know they fade occasionaly but i thought it would last longer than this. Its not too noticeable so i dont think id bother getting it redone or anything, but just wondering in general what are peoples views on these tattoos. Are they cra.p in comparison to the usual ones? Oh and do you reckon the fading will get any worse?
    Thanx for your views, :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

dont know much about babboo tattoos, care to give a bit of an insight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

tats have a tendency to fade due to prolonged exposure to sunlight or any other source of UV light for that matter. my black lines with shading are becoming more a grey/blue with every passing summer, and the tats only about 6 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

larryone wrote:
    dont know much about babboo tattoos, care to give a bit of an insight?

It was done by a piece of bamboo with a needle attached to the end. The guy doing it used one hand to sorta hold it and move it around, while tapping the end of the bamboo stick continously to do the tattoo. (sorry if my explanation isnt the best!) :) Check out this site, its where i got it done: http://www.tattoophiphi.com/_tps-14/marticle.php?Ntype=1

:)

Dr_Mal Practice:
    Yeah i heard they fade with UV light etc but mine hasnt been exposed to light at all. Got it really low down on my hip bone so its constantly covered (well almost constantly ;) ) :p But yeah i dunno why its so faded so soon. Its not even a yr old. Maybe it wasnt done properly? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Cool, old school hand tapped tattoo, did you get it done in Thailand?
    Some of the best tattoos that you will see are the old style ones, for examples you only have to look at the headhunters in Borneo that have black tattoos all their lives and they are out in the sun all day uncovered and the tattoos last all their lives, I reckon it is probably the fact that modern inks were used in yours instead of soot like the fully traditional ones. You could probably have it redone with a needle in a studio here but it is definitely unfortunate that yours has faded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Aye I wudnt mind getting a hand tapped tattoo myskef,mad lookin stuff. Whether you got a hand tapped or a professionnally done tattoo,like Blub2k4 said, The inks used these days are prone to fading really easily. Becuase of the size of your tattoo it will be more prone to fading. If its really bothering you a 10 minute session in your local tattoo parlour will patch it up no problem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

Now I know this sounds Gross and quite discusting but KY gel (aka Butt Lube)
    I have heard that this will keep your tattoo looking good.

I have a tattoo myself a funcky ass Dragon About 4 X 2 inches on my upper right arm i have had it for about a 2 years now and it still looks brand new.

Gonna get some more soon What you guys got/gettin...

Anyone not gotta tattoo i will warn you that you do get one you have got it for the rest of your life so choose wisely.

Glipmac :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Glipmac wrote:
    Now I know this sounds Gross and quite discusting but KY gel (aka Butt Lube)
    I have heard that this will keep your tattoo looking good.

I have a tattoo myself a funcky ass Dragon About 4 X 2 inches on my upper right arm i have had it for about a 2 years now and it still looks brand new.

Gonna get some more soon What you guys got/gettin...

Anyone not gotta tattoo i will warn you that you do get one you have got it for the rest of your life so choose wisely.

Glipmac :cool:

The Ky Jelly tip is good for when the tattoo is in the first 3-4 days to help the original open wound and stopping the scab drying and lifting the fresh ink out of the cut, but after that it is no addition.
    Bepanthen is what I ( and a lot of others) tend to use which is a baby nappy rash treatment and it works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

anything like that works,

Cheers for the tip

Dude go to Urban Dictionary and look up Gwup! (i am heir Gwap)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Blinky1 wrote:
    Check out this site, its where i got it done: http://www.tattoophiphi.com/_tps-14/marticle.php?Ntype=1

I was in that very studio only last year.
    There was a swedish chap getting a tattoo covering most of his back done at the time.

The design was done with a pen free hand and then the bamboo was used to make the tattoo, very talented tattooist's those thai's, whats better is they have no problem with you watching them doing the tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

bucks wrote:
    I was in that very studio only last year.
    There was a swedish chap getting a tattoo covering most of his back done at the time.

The design was done with a pen free hand and then the bamboo was used to make the tattoo, very talented tattooist's those thai's, whats better is they have no problem with you watching them doing the tattoo.

Yeah they are really good tatooists. A few of us got tattoos when we were over there. Had an audience around us during each one! The tattooists were cool about it. Really nice people :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement