Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the worst books you've ever finished?

Options
  • 03-04-2005 6:09pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭

We've all started books that have been so bad that we've thrown them away half way through, but what are the worst books you've actually persevered with to the end? I've got two that definitely qualify:

The Female Man by Joanna Russ - recommended to me by a guy in a bookshop I frequented years ago. All his other recommendations had been brilliant so I saw no reason why this shouldn't be. Turned out to be the most non-sensical load of drivel I've ever had the misfortune to read. The words "feminist science fiction" really should have made me think a bit longer before buying it.

Vernon God Little by D.B.C. Pierre - serves me right for breaking my own rule about never believing the hype about popular books. In fairness, it had all the makings of the sort of book I like, especially the element of quirkiness in the story. However, I found the book itself tedious and from about a third of the way in just couldn't wait to get to the end (I really hate giving up on books and I did hope it would get better). There wasn't a single character in the book I liked or cared about and I just found the whole Texan drawl thing in the language annoying. Just as well I'm not on the Booker Prize jury, I suppose.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Im sure the DaVinci Code will be on this list at numerous points. :)

For me its Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. I trudged through over 1000 pages of tripe. The action scenes were all that kept me reading, and they were few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

For me its Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. I trudged through over 1000 pages of tripe. The action scenes were all that kept me reading, and they were few and far between.

i actually really enjoyed Rainbow 6 but then i was stuck in logan airport for 10hrs....

Worst books i ever finished were the Lord of the Rings.....by god did i struggle through that ****e. 10 pages describing ****ing forests and a paragraph for a major bloody battle :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ulysses. What boring twaddle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Helliconia Trilogy series by Brian Aldiss. I bought all three having seen a very favorable review. It must have been the only positive review the series got. Dreary, depressive with violent swings of writting style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I entered this thread sure i'd be able to list plenty of books, but now i find i can't name any. Presumably I've wiped all memory of them, as up until recently I never gave up on a book, just persevered through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Anything by Kevin J. Anderson. Its like McDonalds: You know its unhealthy, bland and unsatisfying, but you read it regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I think some painful memories are being blocked as I'm coming up fairly blank but...

The Testament - John Gresham
    The Female Eunuch - Germain Greer
    LOTR - J.R.R Tolkien
    Adrian Mole : Weapons of Mass Destruction - Sue Towsend

Whereas something I've finished 20+ times and will never tire of - The Salmon of Doubt and the HHGTTG series - Douglas Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The Rule of Four, absolute shíte, there's another thread about it somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

Im sure the DaVinci Code will be on this list at numerous points.
    The DaVinci Code.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Last Precinct by Patricia Cornwell.

Sorry, Patsy, but that's the last of your books I'll ever read.

I tried reading LA Confidential, but couldn't finish it. (The one by James Ellroy)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Slow coach wrote:
    The Last Precinct by Patricia Cornwell.

Sorry, Patsy, but that's the last of your books I'll ever read.

I tried reading LA Confidential, but couldn't finish it. (The one by James Ellroy)

The only really awful books I've read cover to cover are because I've had to due to restraints (trapped in work/on a boat) or by school.

For exampe I read the DiVinci code while stuck in work for a weekend, but flung Angels and demons across the room after a chapter and a half.

LA Confidential requires some concentration and I love alot of James Ellroy books, I've read nearly all of them. However his earlier books are dreadful, the nuget of potential is in them, you can see where he's going, you just don't walk up the path, you take the short cut and pick up American Tabloid and get memrised by his prose.

I hated both Hard Times and Emma my leaving cert novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I always feel a compulsion to finish a book once i've started. it's terrible, I end up reading a lot of sh*t and wasting my time.
    the last one I can think of is 'Rose Madder' by Stephen King. Not one of his finer efforts.
    I also want to add Strong Motion by Jonathon Frantzen. Read it because of the hype about the Corrections but this is just crap. Full of obnoxious, boring characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

The DaVinci Code.
    The Hobbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I didn't actually finish it but the Hobbit turned me off Tolkien altogether, too many characters and detail

mycroft wrote:
    The only really awful books I've read cover to cover are because I've had to due to restraints (trapped in work/on a boat) or by school.

For exampe I read the DiVinci code while stuck in work for a weekend, but flung Angels and demons across the room after a chapter and a half.

LA Confidential requires some concentration and I love alot of James Ellroy books, I've read nearly all of them. However his earlier books are dreadful, the nuget of potential is in them, you can see where he's going, you just don't walk up the path, you take the short cut and pick up American Tabloid and get memrised by his prose.

I hated both Hard Times and Emma my leaving cert novels.

Oh...i'd forgotten my leaving cert novel.....Portrait of an artist as a young man....but i suppose i can't include it as i never could finish the pile of twoddle....think i got as far as "Moo-Cow" and gave up. Joyce, wat a ****ing chancer! ;)

As for Elroy....LA confidential is a really superior book. I loved it. And i agree you can see his writing improve with each novel. Brown's requeum (his first novel, i think) is fantastic but is so rough and uneven that altho you can see the ideas you struggle with his thinking.

Never could finish the Hobbit either.....JRR Tolken is another chancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I read Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke. Which was a great book. A really good example of a great science fiction novel.

Now, the problem I have with Clarke is that, while he has great ideas, he is really, really terrible at writing realistic characters, especially women. I think when he was writing Rendezvous with Rama he knew his limitations and the book was more about exploration and science than it was about the characters.

But then came the sequels: Rama II, Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed. With these he decided to team up with Gentry Lee, and together they thought they could pull together some really good character interaction.... ugh... it was horrible... You had three novels, each getting progressively longer, where the science fiction took a back seat to some really terrible family based drama... And I had to keep reading as I wanted to know what the big deal was with the Rama thing... imagine my disappointment when it turns out that
    God is behind it all
    What a bloody cop out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

The remains of the day. Argggh.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Peig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Hannibal - Absolute bolloxology...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Some of the Jehovah's Witnesses' Bible exegeses. The creationist one was particularly amusing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Amz: how could you not like The Hobbit?! 1st book I ever read, still love it.

All of Dan Brown - they're all identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

"The Crow Road" by Iain Banks

I'm a fan of his straight fiction work, but some of his books are just indecipherable collages of obscure scottish culture. It's a painful thing to read something so bad from an author that you like generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

nesf wrote:
    "The Crow Road" by Iain Banks

I'm a fan of his straight fiction work, but some of his books are just indecipherable collages of obscure scottish culture. It's a painful thing to read something so bad from an author that you like generally.

I thought that was about the best of his 'straight' fiction books. I really enjoyed it and Complicity. The last one I tried to read was The Business... now that was pretty terrible.

The BBC did a very good TV series based on The Crow Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Clive Cussler , Atlantis Found

I'll never forgive him for stealing 5 hours of my life with this rubbish, again stuck on a plane so no choice but to persevere, damn you Cussler.

Valkyries , Paulo Coelho

thought the Alchemist was a vaguely entertaining story so foolishly bought another of his , hated ever second of it.

Jimmy the Hand, Raymond Feist

I'm a great fan of Feist's fantasy stuff , but this struck me as a total waste of good paper.

The Cryptographer, Tobias Hill

biggest pile of dung ever.

And those have all been in the last few months! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I thought that was about the best of his 'straight' fiction books. I really enjoyed it and Complicity. The last one I tried to read was The Business... now that was pretty terrible.

The BBC did a very good TV series based on The Crow Road.

I'll be the first to say that his work does provoke different reactions in people. But then again, I've seen some of my favourite books already mentioned in this list, although to be honest I'm not a bit suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I liked The Valkyries :)

Rama series did tend to trail out - I don't think I've read the last one (or forgotten it entirely if I have).

the cryptonomicon

It started well but then the last quarter is like a bunch o geeks, meets deliverance meets a tonne of gold. I read it with my jaw on the floor going, "just how bad can this get"

Total total waste of time.

mycroft wrote:
    the cryptonomicon

It started well but then the last quarter is like a bunch o geeks, meets deliverance meets a tonne of gold. I read it with my jaw on the floor going, "just how bad can this get"

Total total waste of time.

That's actually my fav book but...yeah the final quarter is ****ing pants...but i believe the rest of the book rescues the appalling finish...

RuggieBear wrote:
    That's actually my fav book but...yeah the final quarter is ****ing pants...but i believe the rest of the book rescues the appalling finish...

Thunderbirds couldn't save that book. I'm serious virgil, scott, tracey, even f*cking parker all of international rescue, not a chance.

• Advertisement

mycroft wrote:
    Thunderbirds couldn't save that book. I'm serious virgil, scott, tracey, even f*cking parker all of international rescue, not a chance.
    lol....tbh i read a few of his other works on the strength of Crypt. and Stephenson can't finish a book to save his life...they all just peter out unsatifactorly.

Advertisement