Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Grocery Shopping in Ireland

• 03-04-2005 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anybody regularly use any of the Online Grocery shopping sites to get their groceries?

Which is the best?

Which supermarkets provide this service and what is the delivery cost?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I've used tesco.ie and was not impressed. Used to use Tesco.co.uk when in Belfast, and it was pretty good, free delivery and stuff.

But tesco.ie cocked up my order (instead of a 6 pack of beans, they got a single 2kg box, how do you manage that?! amongst other things) and a lot of the stuff was the reject stock, dented etc. so I definitely don't recommend them for anything non-foolproof (ie. beer that you can't be assed carrying home). Also, with the €6 - €9 delivery fee and 2 day wait time, you may just be better off with a taxi.

I've heard good things about superquinn online though, never tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 CaraNiTuathaill

Well,
    I've used both. They both seem to charge same delivery.
    The only problem is with buying weekly shopping if you're buying meat they'll give you 5-6 items of meat all due to expire in 2 days (bit thick!) same with veg - you wont get what you would have picked yourself.
    But anyway I found superquinn to be better having said all that.
    They even pack the foods better. ie frozen foods together dairy together - tesco just seem to bung them all together..
    Fine for non perishable and even beer and wine -
    On a separate point has anyone noticed it you go to shop in certain dunnes stores the sell by date and consume by date is nearly always that day or the next.
    Does nobody do weekly/monthly shops anymore????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm stuck doing the weekly shop :mad: Sounds a bit dodgy ordering online then, I've also seen some dodgy fruit shelves in Tesco, rotting fruit. The one in Bray had a bananna that must have had about 50-100 (no joke) of them little, what I call rotten fruit flies on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

i think tesco are slightly better than superquin.
    superquin keep on messing up our orders,alot of stuff out of stock or they are substituting badly. the last 3 weeks in a row they didnt have salted peanuts,ridiculous!
    anyway,tesco is cheaper overall...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ordered from Superquinn a few times. Find delivery a bit pricey. My shop is only around €50 (I order online when I won't get a chance to go out for it, and the house is bare), and a €10 delivery charge on that makes a big difference.

I order quite a bit of fresh veg too, and the quality has been variable. For example I usually buy 4 peppers, and one week I got 4 tiny and worthless yokes, while another week I got 4 huge, fresh lovely ones.

They've done quite a good job with substituting out of stock stuff too. If you're ordering online, and it's quite important that you get some *exact* things, or the fresh food is exactly as you want it, then leave them out and go buy them yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I've used both also, and found Superquinns to be superior.

You almost always get a "free home delivery" on your Tesco clubcard statement btw..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Use Tesco a lot - had a few problems but always got a refund without any problems when I complained.(without having to return the produce) Best thing to do is tick "no substitutes" and for any fresh produce add a note saying you want a BBD of at least 5 days or none at all, same with milk yogurts etc. Also for meats specify lean only.

Once you start there are little things you learn to do. Also used Superquinn, same rules apply - you have to be very clear about what you want.

I approach it in the same way as If I went to the store and will only accept top quality produce, any little flaw and I call Customer Service. I reckon they put a tag against your name, first few times I had issues, complained every time and now its nearly always perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

cormie wrote:
    I'm stuck doing the weekly shop :mad: Sounds a bit dodgy ordering online then, I've also seen some dodgy fruit shelves in Tesco, rotting fruit. The one in Bray had a bananna that must have had about 50-100 (no joke) of them little, what I call rotten fruit flies on it.
    The Tesco's in Bray is a kip, pure and simple. We've stopped going there after several run-in with "managers", if you can even call them that, and have now gone over to Dunne's Stores in Cornelscourt.

My main gripe with them was the quality of the fruit and veg. Often there was stuff on display that I would personally have thrown out days ago, and when you mentioned it to the "staff", all they did was shrug their shoulders and remove it ... no apology, no "That shouldn't happen", no nothing. Then there's the continuing saga of the bread-slicing machine that apparently never seems to work on Sundays, i.e. they can't be @rsed to man it! I could go on ...

Advertisement