Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Israeli girl in need of help

• 03-04-2005 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello all you Irish folks,

It's been a pleasure having 4,000 of your soccer fans in our country last week. Such happy people.
    I'm a 31 YO Israeli female. I am thinking of going to University College of Dublin for a Ph.D in social work, since I've been dreaming of living in Ireland ever since I can remember. Any advice about the uni., accomodation, places to hang and meet people? (I'll be arriving by myself so I'll be looking for friends and drinking buddies). Any help will be welcome.

Cheers,
    Shiraz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Drinking buddies? HAHAHAH..........................................no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

UCD board

Keep posting here and soon you meet people from here.

kdjac

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

If you want to meet people from boards then the wisest thing is probably to get to know the forums and the people on them by posting and then attend one of the boards beers which are organised and announced on the Events forum every few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Shrimp wrote:
    Drinking buddies? HAHAHAH..........................................no

I thought he was banned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

blondie83 wrote:
    I thought he was banned?

I think his name refers to the size of his genetalia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hello all you Irish folks,

It's been a pleasure having 4,000 of your soccer fans in our country last week. Such happy people.
    I'm a 31 YO Israeli female. I am thinking of going to University College of Dublin for a Ph.D in social work, since I've been dreaming of living in Ireland ever since I can remember. Any advice about the uni., accomodation, places to hang and meet people? (I'll be arriving by myself so I'll be looking for friends and drinking buddies). Any help will be welcome.

Cheers,
    Shiraz

It would probably be best to contact the university directly about accomodation. No doubt they'll have an accomodations office and campus accomodation.
    As for meeting people, you'll probably meet people from your class at class parties and the like, and there'll also be clubs & societies to join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The University will accomodation office will help you to a point.

A better route is www.daft.ie, almost every person renting uses it so you're bound to find a place.

As ecksor said, the beer events are there, but I don't think they are great for making and meeting new people as they tend to be large, cliquey and overwhelmng.

Try hang out in the UCD forum, and there are smaller little subgroup in board sthat often meet for a few quiet ones. If you're lucky and find one, you can get yourself invited to one of those.

Finally, the college runs lots of evening classes and courses for staff and postgraduates, many of which are free and you'll probably meet people that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I found daft.ie absolutely great when looking for places to live when working. Not sure if it's any good for students though.

Here's UCD's page regarding campus accomodation:

http://www.ucd.ie/accommodation.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

Hey ...

Maybe you wouldn't be interested, but I've a friend living in Dublin who is from Israel - married to an Irish person and living here for last 5 years or more.

And there's more - I've another friend who has gone through the sociology courses in university here too !

Can ask if they're willing to give you an introduction to Ireland if you want ..... I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Let me know !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

THIS link to daft will let u specify what college you want accomodation near to, might help you a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

ah... bob's bar... good old memories.... would be glad to go out drinking with you anytime... give us a shout...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

sorry if this is patronising- most irish people are kool but please be very carefull if meeting anyone from the net. I would advise against it, especially considering you will make friends very easily in Dublin once you arrive and start study/work.
    best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Hey there Shiraz

I'm a massive fan of your Ariel Sharon, any man who has the balls to name himself after The Little Mermaid is okay in my book. Was in your fine country recently for the game, I'm currently sporting an Israeli Defence t-shirt... wouldn't advise coming to UCC anyway, the place is full of Arabs.

But seriously, Social Work as a PhD? Would you not consider a line of work that actually contributes to society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And as you can see Ireland has it's share of idiots.

Advertisement