Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergie snaps

• 03-04-2005 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Ruud at risk as Ferguson patience snaps

Sir Alex Ferguson's patience has finally snapped - after watching the sixth goalless draw of a frustrating Premiership campaign in which his side have lost only twice yet still trail Chelsea by 13 points, Ferguson is promising changes.

Van Nistelrooy might already have etched his name into the book of Old Trafford striking greats. Just now though, seven games into his comeback from an Achilles injury, he is not worth his place in the United side. And with Louis Saha and Alan Smith desperate for a chance to impress, the Dutchman's head is on the chopping block.

"It will be a different team next week," grumbled Ferguson. "Louis Saha is back in training on Monday and Alan Smith needs a game, so I have some big decisions to make."

The extraordinary events at St James' Park that were occurring as United's Premiership title fight finally collapsed have enhanced the Red Devils' FA Cup chances. But with next weekend's trip to Norwich coming just eight days before United tackle Newcastle at the Millennium Stadium, Ferguson needs to ensure his selection is spot on.

Not only that, with Arsenal finding their form again, he must also galvanise his troops for the remaining seven games of the league campaign and at least ensure runners-up spot.

For the footballing staff, third place means a Champions League qualifier. For chief executive David Gill it means a 50% cut in income from the English pool, a sum that could take £2million out of United's coffers at a time when profits are falling and Malcolm Glazer is hunting a takeover.

"This is a critical stage of the season and we simply cannot afford to feel we are in some kind of comfort zone or that with the championship looking out of reach and Europe gone there is nothing left worth striving for," said Ferguson.

"The battle for second place is still very much on and unless our form improves there is a very real danger we could miss out on the runners-up finishing place. It is essential we get to grips with our form, both for the Premiership and for the semi-finals of the FA Cup, our remaining chance of a trophy this season."

I have to say Van Nist is still looking very sluggish.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

ROFL,
    Fergie snaps.
    He said the following:
    "It will be a different team next week," grumbled Ferguson. "Louis Saha is back in training on Monday and Alan Smith needs a game, so I have some big decisions to make."

Please explain to me where he has snapped?
    Its a squad game, and he has 4 strikers :)

Van Nist has played a total of 12 games in the prem this season, I think people forget that. He will be back to himself by the start of next season, and hopefully will go the season injury free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tbh Arse and Utd have proved this season thats squads dont win leagues.

Utd lost van Nist thus remvoing 20 goals from their season (if they had 6 in the goalless draws would be a diff table)

Arse never stopped scoring but conceded a lot due to Silva and Campbell being out for long periods , lacked that steel which didnt lose them games last season.

Both sides havent played badly this seaosn in terms of footballing ability just one couldnt score and other couldnt defend as well as previous seasons.

By both not having a replacement who could fill the gap created by the players missing, the whole squad thing is not as true as other seasons.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I don't see any evidence there that Fergie has "snapped" . It's a pretty honest reflection on the curroent problems. RVN is not scoring and with Saha Smith and Rooney in competition he may not play an off form Ruud in what will now be Uniteds most important match of the season. That's as it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

such tabloid trash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I think Ruud has to be droped. Its not fair on him that when he doesnt score the papers have a go at him. He has been troubled by injuries this season and he cant just come back from being 3 months out and score for fun. I would love to see Smith and Rooney for a few games. Smith got of to a get start to his United career and he deserves his chance. And its great to see Saha back training on Monday, lets hope he can go a few hours without getting another knee injury.

• Advertisement

I can't wait, absolutly can't wait until RVN and Saha can pair up, I think they will be amazing. I've high hopes for them next season, with Rooney as a rotating sub so he is rested abit more, and Smith sold cause tbh, Ole is back next year, nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jesus I never would have thought that with Saha, Smith, Rooney, Nistelroy, Scholes, Giggs and Ronaldo, United's problems this season would be scoring goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

smuckers wrote:
    Ruud at risk as Ferguson patience snaps

Sir Alex Ferguson's patience has finally snapped - after watching the sixth goalless draw of a frustrating Premiership campaign in which his side have lost only twice yet still trail Chelsea by 13 points, Ferguson is promising changes.

Van Nistelrooy might already have etched his name into the book of Old Trafford striking greats. Just now though, seven games into his comeback from an Achilles injury, he is not worth his place in the United side. And with Louis Saha and Alan Smith desperate for a chance to impress, the Dutchman's head is on the chopping block.

The extraordinary events at St James' Park that were occurring as United's Premiership title fight finally collapsed have enhanced the Red Devils' FA Cup chances. But with next weekend's trip to Norwich coming just eight days before United tackle Newcastle at the Millennium Stadium, Ferguson needs to ensure his selection is spot on.

Not only that, with Arsenal finding their form again, he must also galvanise his troops for the remaining seven games of the league campaign and at least ensure runners-up spot.

For the footballing staff, third place means a Champions League qualifier. For chief executive David Gill it means a 50% cut in income from the English pool, a sum that could take £2million out of United's coffers at a time when profits are falling and Malcolm Glazer is hunting a takeover.

"This is a critical stage of the season and we simply cannot afford to feel we are in some kind of comfort zone or that with the championship looking out of reach and Europe gone there is nothing left worth striving for," said Ferguson.

"The battle for second place is still very much on and unless our form improves there is a very real danger we could miss out on the runners-up finishing place. It is essential we get to grips with our form, both for the Premiership and for the semi-finals of the FA Cup, our remaining chance of a trophy this season."

I have to say Van Nist is still looking very sluggish.

Show me where it says Fergie snapped - a manufactured headline if ever I saw one.

He is giving an accurate account of the curent situation. Ruud doesn't look fit at the moment and could prob do with a rest, maybe even a few reserve games to get him a few goals. He might not be only one to get a "rest" next week either.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

PHB wrote:
    I can't wait, absolutly can't wait until RVN and Saha can pair up, I think they will be amazing. I've high hopes for them next season, with Rooney as a rotating sub so he is rested abit more, and Smith sold cause tbh, Ole is back next year, nuff said.
    You're convinced Ole will come back at the stage he left off? I'm doubtful, he's pushing on now. I hope Smith isn't sold, he's young and his careeer started well at OT before injury. He's also got bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I think its time for fergie to go. There is no hungre at Man Utd, the players arent motivated i blame the manager for that. Finishing third would be a sickener for Utd and maybe its about time that someone else came in.

• Advertisement

Smith might have bite, but I think he lacks ability.
    I'd rather an unfit ruud to him anyday.
    He came on against Blackburn and was useless compard to Ruud.

Its also important to note that while Ruud hasn't scored, he has I think 5 assists since hes come back for Rooney.

p.s. Quirez plays a major major role in running Utd, its moving towards a duality every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PHB wrote:

So what you're saying is that next year RVN and Saha will be the first choice strikers and the Stg£27 Rooney will be used as a rotating sub?

You're having a laugh right?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

BaZmO* wrote:
    Stg£27 .

crickey!

i cant believe everton sold him for 27 quid!

i thought he was worth at least 50 million!

BaZmO* wrote:
    So what you're saying is that next year RVN and Saha will be the first choice strikers and the Stg£27 Rooney will be used as a rotating sub?

You're having a laugh right?

B.

My thoughts exactly in Fact I have my doubts that both Saha and Ruud will be at United next season.
    I think its time for fergie to go. There is no hungre at Man Utd, the players arent motivated i blame the manager for that. Finishing third would be a sickener for Utd and maybe its about time that someone else came in.

Of Course we should get rid of Fergie recently Voted greatest manager of all time, after all United have a God Given right to win the premiership .

Arsenal won it last year by raising their game Chelsea look like doing the same this year. The fact of the matter is that both these teams have raised the standard and I will wait until we have at least a full season with our full squad to see if we can surpass that challenge before writing Fergie off. The signs are good for next year with The younger players starting to form a team but he stilll needs to sort out the keeper and one or two other position may need looking at but I,m sure he knows what needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

48 goals from 491 shots afaik. Seems a poor return in front of goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

crickey!

i cant believe everton sold him for 27 quid!

i thought he was worth at least 50 million!

LOL.

My bad :o

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

PHB wrote:

The goal smith scored (I think it was against porthsmith but I could be wrong) where he won the ball in the oppositions box via a perfectly timed lunge and then scored for good measure. Its that kind of determination that is lacking in united at the minute and I think smith might be the man to inject a bit of hussle into the team against newcastle.

Sell him! I hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The usual 'oh we haven't won our last ten games so Fergie must be sacked' approach..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Same old arguments again and again....

For those who believe that Ferguson should remain as manager can you provide some legitimate reasoning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

fade2black wrote:

For those who believe that Ferguson should remain as manager can you provide some legitimate reasoning?

LOL, it's all about opinion. Can you give any decent reason why he shouldn't, and as importantly give a realistic name to take over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

fade2black wrote:

ah, the last safe house of the argumentatively challanged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

2sheds, i never said anything about winning the EPL. I was just referring to all the poor performances. no other top european club would be allowed to get away with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ah, the last safe house of the argumentatively challanged.

I'm very far from argumentatively challenged, I wrote a very large piece moths ago about why he should go. I'm just tired of people abusing (for want of a better word) those who say he should go. You're right, everyone is entitled to opinion but just because we think he should go doesn't mean that we're (i) glory hunters and (ii) basing it on the last ten games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

fade2black wrote:
    I'm very far from argumentatively challenged, I wrote a very large piece moths ago about why he should go. I'm just tired of people abusing (for want of a better word) those who say he should go. You're right, everyone is entitled to opinion but just because we think he should go doesn't mean that we're (i) glory hunters and (ii) basing it on the last ten games.

If you are so sure he should go you obviously have a replacement/s in mind , who is this person/s , and whoever it is you can pretty much guarentee they aren't going to win the league in their first season , they would have to acclimatize to the club first , unless your magic man is god or jesus .

What about Jose Mourhinho? If you've got the players at your disposal what's to stop you? My own personal choice may be unrealistic and slightly biased but I would like to see Martin O Neill take over with Roy Keane as his right hand man. I think when Keane goes there will be no one left to instill respect and fear in the players...and that drive to win.

fade2black wrote:

You either support a team or you don't . If you do you support them in the bad times as well as the good. United have had more than thier fair share of good over the past decade thanks to Fergie. So we have not won the premiership in two Years, Look at who did and the way they did breaking records to do so. Congatulations to them they have raised the bar because they had to. If you're only intereted in Glory Hunting well Chelsea is flavour of the month at the moment so **** off and support them . You won't be missed.

The Muppet wrote:
    You either support a team or you don't . If you do you support them in the bad times as well as the good. United have had more than thier fair share of good over the past decade thanks to Fergie. So we have not won the premiership in two Years, Look at who did and the way they did breaking records to do so. Congatulations to them they have raised the bar because they had to. If you're only intereted in Glory Hunting well Chelsea is flavour of the month at the moment so **** off and support them . You won't be missed.

Congratulations, you have just lived up to your name. I don't have to vindicate my support for Man Utd, especially to someone like you.

Firstly, the post that you are quoting there is simply me asking people to give reasons why Ferguson should remain manager of Man Utd. You clearly believe that he's allowed to hang onto the coat tails of previous successes, in that case why not bring back Brian McClair, sure he scored a ton of goals a few years ago. I have as much respect for Alex Ferguson as you or any other Man Utd supporter but I do not believe in keeping someone in a job just because they done it quite well once upon a time. I am no glory hunter and I ask you to find one shred of evidence that proves I am before you start blasting your mouth off and swearing at me. When Ferguson goes he will be remembered as being one of the greatest managers of all time but at the moment he is doing his current reputation no favours at all. You obviously think he is doing a great job though, that's your opinion, I just gave you mine (but I didnt tell you to **** off)

I was speaking in General and not at you in particular but having read back my post I can see how you came to the conclusion that I was so I apologise for that.

However my comments about Fans of the Glory hunting variety stands.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, sorry about that.

I do agree with you about glory hunters though I think there is no place for them in serious debate and serious following of football. I was born into a Man Utd and Waterford Utd following and that is where I will stay, good or bad, until the day I day. Man Utd as a club are bigger than any one man and at the end of the say I will always support whatever is in the interest of advancement. It is a personal opinion and I realise it's one that's in the minority but I think Ferguson should have stepped down two seasons ago. In saying that though as long as he remains manager of Man Utd he will have my support, but I reserve the right to post opinion every now and again.

D

fade2black wrote:
    Fair enough, sorry about that.

I do agree with you about glory hunters though I think there is no place for them in serious debate and serious following of football. I was born into a Man Utd and Waterford Utd following and that is where I will stay, good or bad, until the day I day. Man Utd as a club are bigger than any one man and at the end of the say I will always support whatever is in the interest of advancement. It is a personal opinion and I realise it's one that's in the minority but I think Ferguson should have stepped down two seasons ago. In saying that though as long as he remains manager of Man Utd he will have my support, but I reserve the right to post opinion every now and again.

D

That's fair comment and I do think Managers can stay on longer than they should. Clough was a prime example because of his non footballing problems he should have called it a day earlier than he did. I would not like to see that happen Fergie.

I don't believe that is the case at the moment. Missing Ferdinand for part of both of the last two season has cost United dearly. I am not saying they would have won either league had he been present as Arsenal and Chelsea have both risen their game but I think it would have been a lot closer and we would possibly have won one if not both with ferdinand in the team.

Without wishing to sound like a Liverpool fan, next season will give us a better idea of where we stand. If we do not mount a serious challenge for the title the whole setup may need to be looked at.

Uniteds problem is the poor signings we have made and I blame the board for that. It was the board that cocked up the Robben deal. United had agreed to buy him for £10 million. When Robben Issued a statement saying he wanted to play for United the Board lowered their offer , Chelsea nipped in and signed him. We now know that you can not get quality on the cheap and we have to buy quality instead of potential in future if we are to have a squad strong enough to challenge Chelsea and Arsenal.

Maybe history will prove tha Fergie should have gone two seasons ago but for now United supporters own him too much to write him off after admittedly two poor seasons by his standard. I'm not sure Martin O Neill is the man to replace him I think Querios(sp) in the line up for that one and Sparky would be another possibility but I think we have the best man in the job at the moment an I hope he will be there for years to come..

Fergie shouldn't go because I don't think theres a better replacement.

There are two managers in the premiership who I think could do a better job than Fergie, Mourinho and Benetiz, neither of which will be going to Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:
    Fergie shouldn't go because I don't think theres a better replacement.

There are two managers in the premiership who I think could do a better job than Fergie, Mourinho and Benetiz, neither of which will be going to Utd.

and its as simple as that , thats why he's still in a job , because anyone that who seems like they would do a better job and isn't too risky wouldn't go to United .

Big Ears wrote:
    and its as simple as that , thats why he's still in a job , because anyone that who seems like they would do a better job and isn't too risky wouldn't go to United .

That's rubbish, he is still in a job because he has proven he is the best man for the job. Nobody has been offered his job so how do you know who would or would not go to United if the position were vacant. IThere would be very few if any managers that would not relish the challenge of managing United.

Advertisement