Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G - Help - NEC e616v

Options
  • 03-04-2005 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

HEy guys...

I recently bought a NEC e616V... But i am completly new on teh whole 3G side of things...I was wondering a few things... I bought this phone not from 3G but from a seller of this forum.

I was wondering do i need a 3G sim or something to avail of any features on this phone... for eg video calling or any of these GPS or Compass features or even WAP :S I noticed i cannot access WAP either.

I have no idea at all how this 3G network operates or even if it is a network...Can you's all fill me in on the situation or what i need to do.

How much 3G sims are and are they availible on Pay as you go ...Actually i dont have a clue at ALL !!

Please fill me in ,

Thanks , HJ.

Comments

I think you made the wrong decision in buying it!!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Yeah, you idiot, why the **** did you by it.. damn straight kenny, damn straight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Kenny007 wrote:
    I think you made the wrong decision in buying it!!!! ;)
    lLMAO , you again kenny,.. :p

Hmmm, anyway...Back to buisness ;)

Anybody got some help any what i need / need to do ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

AFAIK that phone only works for calls/texts etc.

thanks rach ;)

• Advertisement

cool... ah well.. we cant all win

So basically u are telling me that my phone is useless or i need a 3G Sim to use these features... I dont understand. I have a Vodafone sim in it at the moment. Please explain , now i am even more confused. :confused:

I told ya u'd need em to use them..

Ahhh so the fone isnt ****, just i need a 3G sim to use it with full features activated ? And whats thatabout int he link way above about it doesnt even have an active flip ?

EDIT : Are 3G also availible in PAy as you go as i have Looked on ebay .co.uk for a 3G sim out of curiosity and i seen some of them for sale were non contracts and had credit all ready on them ?? :confused:

As i said completly new to all this stuff.

• Advertisement

You can't get the phone to work on any network except the "3" network in the UK. CPW were selling them cheap in the north. About £40. But the functions are disabled with a non 3 sim card. So you can't use Bluetooth, GPRS, MMS, 3G or anything like that on them.
    Also Vodafone only support four 3G phones, the NEC is not one of them.
    Also you can only be a 3G customer if you're on Vodafone billpay.
    Basically you've got a fancy looking 3100 or something like that.
    Hope you didn't pay too much for it!

good job rach... :)

RachG wrote:
    You can't get the phone to work on any network except the "3" network in the UK. CPW were selling them cheap in the north. About £40. But the functions are disabled with a non 3 sim card. So you can't use Bluetooth, GPRS, MMS, 3G or anything like that on them.
    Also Vodafone only support four 3G phones, the NEC is not one of them.
    Also you can only be a 3G customer if you're on Vodafone billpay.
    Basically you've got a fancy looking 3100 or something like that.
    Hope you didn't pay too much for it!

Thanks alot ... Now i understand. What do i do now and no i didnt pay too much :(

You can't do much. You can just use it as a normal phone or see if you can sell it on.
    This is why you didn't pay too much. Yes it was too good to be true!

good job rach.. ;)

Thank you Shrimp.

Shrimp wrote:
    good job rach.. ;)
    I think Shrimp fancies Rach, lol. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Basically, SOME of the 616's will give you web use etc, but some models won't.
    It's down to settings which are disabled in the firmware
    Unfortunately, it's not possible (YET) to flash them with a file which can sort that problem.

Advertisement