Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poachers! :(

Options
  • 03-04-2005 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Damn poaching big teams! I hate them all! Just had my two star strikers (Arouna Koné/Mark Thompson) and a class defender (Justin Hoyre) sign for other teams for the minimum release clause, 2 days before the end of transfer window! Playing as Shelbourne, so when Barcelona etc offer them contracts they become uninterested in re-signing at Shelbourne. The worst thing is they all had at least 3 years left on contract! :mad: And my next match is against Real Madrid! :eek: Other than giving any new signing a minimum release clause of like 40million is there anything else I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Short of getting Shelbourne to move to a league where players of any reasonable ability would like to play, nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I can get good players, good enough to win the UEFA cup without cheating and continuous retrying anyways. Ranked 30th on coefficent tables and Ireland as a nation ranked 17th. I think until Irelands coefficent is in the top 8 or so I'm gonna have a bloody difficult time of it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Don't give them a release clause?

Or is it mandatory in the Irish league? I haven't ever played an Irish league game..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

A lot of players ask for them and wont sign unless you give them one. You cant set it too high either, as they turn their nose up at it. Best way is generally to offer them loads of other clauses instead and a bigger signing on fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I usually offer them yearly wage rises, relegation release clause, Free transfer if relegated and improved basic wage and signing on fee with a 5 year deal to counter that. If they negotiate specificly asking for minimum release fee, i make it an amount i would accept for them if the had to leave. Usually around the £40 Million mark. I'm not sure they can diffreentiate to well between a reasonable release clause and an outrages one.

Failing all that, if they have a release clause that may cause you to loose them, i usually re-negotiate as soon as i sign them. If im competeing to get them, i give them everything they want, and as soon as they sign, i re-negotiate a contract removing things like minimum release.

Out of interest, how are the other Irish teams doing in the leauge/ Europe? I remember i was shelbourne about 3 years ago, and i got them to the second group phase of the champions leauge, signed Salas on a free, before loosing him to inter for £20 million (for Shelbourne!! :eek: i couldn't resist!!) He was instantly worth more than double that on signing unsuprisingly, but he was unhappy and playing terrible, even in the Irish leauge. The the weird thing was though, i was making serious inroads into Europe, won every single domestic competition since the start of the game, and usually had the leauge wrapped up by two thirds of the way in, when all of a sudden, one season Bohs knocked me out of every competition, and matched my results all the way through the leauge, (i had an English premiership contenders standard side) they beat me in 3 of our 4 games in the leauge, and in the second last game, i managed to beat them 6 - 0, and i won the leauge by +1 goal difference!! :eek: close one!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭GadgetFiend

it really is refreshing when you lose top players and they play rubbish for their new teams!

i cant remember how many good players my MK Dons have lost through one reason or another- every now and again they play against me for their new clubs and i laugh heartily...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Heh, thanks guys. I can get the players, just not hold onto them once Barcelona etc stick their noses in! :) I think I must try DubGuy22's method of removing it :)

Advertisement