Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Download Speeds being chocked by Small Upload Speed Limit

• 03-04-2005 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm really happy with my new 2Mbps connection but has anyone noticed it is really being affected by the small upload speed? If I have a few downloads going on DC++ (no uploads) and my browser is grinding to a halt. The download speeds are only about 100-120kbps. I presume the overheads on upload are choking the connection. Am I right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I believe those of us in the know were warning you all about it before hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Irelandoffline where are you? I smell a opportunity press release!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You are wrong. You are probably getting choked up because everyone has been suffereing some sort of slowdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

It only happens if I have a few downloads going at once. For example If I have one DC++ download running that is using up 80% of bandwidth then browsing is fine. But with 3 or 4 downloads running using 50% of bandwidth browsing is unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The tcp overhead required for so many concurrent connections (particularly when the down/up ratio is 32:1) will have an impact, but I've a feeling that the general speed problems at the moment are due to insufficient backhaul bandwidth being allocated in each exchange, along with the convoluted nature of eircom's network ie. several layers of encapsulation between your PC and the remote host on the Internet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MTU Poisoning maybe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I remember when I first got DSL in May 03 with Netsource and for the first 6 or so months there was constant problems with all DSL providers because there was not enough backhaul going to the DSLAMs (I think this was the reason anyway). This was eventually resolved and things have been fine for 12 months or so..

Would it now be fair to assume that the backhaul serving enabled exchanges has not been upgraded sufficiently to cope with subscibers having access to 4 times the download bandwidth and going nuts with it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It only happens if I have a few downloads going at once. For example If I have one DC++ download running that is using up 80% of bandwidth then browsing is fine. But with 3 or 4 downloads running using 50% of bandwidth browsing is unbearable.

As I'm sure other people will tell you,
    If you run lets say Bittorrent and your only downloading two torrents and they come to a total of 80k/sec browsing can almost be impossible due to the way bittorrent is downloading/uploading on yours line

HOWEVER, if you do the same thing and run a bandwidth limiting program like Netlimiter and cap your bittorrent program to a max of 100k down and 20k up then browsing/streaming etc will work perfectly.

Maybe this is a factor with the problems your experiencing?
    While I have not experienced this issue with DC++ its ceratinly a big issue with Bittorrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

small upload definitely effects my downloads :(

I pray that SmartTelecom ups their uploads those that jackass eircom will follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Cabaal wrote:

HOWEVER, if you do the same thing and run a bandwidth limiting program like Netlimiter and cap your bittorrent program to a max of 100k down and 20k up then browsing/streaming etc will work perfectly.

but capping upload at 20k would have no effect since about 12k is the max he can get :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

I hate to say it but alot of people are going to say I told you so, how do eircom think they can give 2meg down with only 128k up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Would it now be fair to assume that the backhaul serving enabled exchanges has not been upgraded sufficiently to cope with subscibers having access to 4 times the download bandwidth and going nuts with it?

More here about it. SpongeBob correct as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Off topic guff tagged and bagged. Back on topic please.

Advertisement