Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working with Microsoft registration wizard

Options
  • 27-09-2000 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

For the past year of so, Microsoft has been adding an Office Registration Wizard to Office 2000 in most of the States. When the new version ships in 2001, nearly everyone will see this registration wizard. It's causing me some problems.

The registration wizard allows you to run Office 50 times before you have to register the product with Microsoft. To register online, you type in the 20 character product code. The code looks at the internal serial number of your PC and generates a unique number for you.

If you move Office to a second computer, the same thing happens. Then, if you try to register the same copy of Office on a third computer, you won't get a registration number when you hit the MS site.

This is annoying if you've just bought a new laptop and you're trying to legally transfer Office on to it.

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this problem and worked around it by editing the registry. If so, what keys have to be edited?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

hmm doesn't sound completely legal to me...

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by LoLth:
    how is that going to affect things like Global licenses?

AFAIK, this will only effect single user licence type stuff. I think. I could be completely wrong.

Draco

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

from a tech supporty pov,

how is that going to affect things like Global licenses? For example. FT have a global license, which means they can install ANY MS software, on as many PCs in as many of their own offices as they want.

I just pop in the CD, run the setup and type in the OEM.. the product is then consider fully licensed to FT. Now, if they limit the amount of times the same CDs get registered, that's gonna mean keeping a stock of CDs for the various differently registered installs isn't it? It's also going to cost the company a hell of a lot more as they'll have to buy lots of CDs instead of just the one per office.

Will this be affecting all versions of office? Including the existing ones (95, 97, 2k)?

if so, then as they say in France... le bugger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I too would be inclined to think the same thing draco.

Advertisement