Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting for summer

• 03-04-2005 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

Me and the GF are in Galway at the moment and I'm in college. We're renting an apartment and our lease is up at the end of the college year. We want to stay in Galway for the summer, or at least some of it. I presume it would be cheap enough with all the sudents gone out of the city and all. Could someone recommend somewhere we could check out that would be fairly cheap? I know someone paying 50 euro a week in a house in renmore. The house isn't all that nice but he has a nice big double bed in it and all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

Me and the g/f just got a really sweet deal on a 4bed-room (townhouse type) Apt. near the doc's in Galway (on the roof of an Apt block would ya believe) for €68 per week...

Now its a wee bit pricey, but seriously, ya'd wanna see this place... really REALLY nice!!! :D

I'd say your best bet is to ask around a few friends and such, 50quid seems a bit low for a place (I'd be a bit sceptic) but I suppose it depends where you're renting too....

Try the Advertiser and the boards in the college... ;)

(PS: anyone looking for a 1bed room...? we've one available ;):p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Yeah I was in one of the docks apts a few times. Do you enter through the gate on the merchants road side? They're probly the same apts cos they're around the same price too... A bit too much for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

Yeah, them's the ones :D

Indeed a bit costy... but sure, its nice to have a decent place compared to some of the Student Accomodation provided by the college... *ahem* :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Pick up a copy of the Advertiser - the Accomodation section comes out on a Wednesday afaik. As the summer gets closer you'll find more and more places in the paper, and landlords are often more accomodating re:numbers of people in houses or rent when they're just trying to rent for the few months when the students are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Pick up a copy of the Advertiser that will be your best bet.
    Was renting in Renmore for €50 and the place was a total kip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

daft.ie and let.ie

Or ask around between students.
    There's probably someone who's just signed a 6 month lease who might want to move out at the end of May.

half_dead wrote:
    Me and the g/f just got a really sweet deal on a 4bed-room (townhouse type) Apt. near the doc's in Galway (on the roof of an Apt block would ya believe) for €68 per week...

Now its a wee bit pricey, but seriously, ya'd wanna see this place... really REALLY nice!!! :D

I'd say your best bet is to ask around a few friends and such, 50quid seems a bit low for a place (I'd be a bit sceptic) but I suppose it depends where you're renting too....

Try the Advertiser and the boards in the college... ;)

(PS: anyone looking for a 1bed room...? we've one available ;):p )

Myself and two friends are looking for an apartment near the docks. Where did you find out about the apartment? And do you know if there are any left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

half_dead wrote:

E68 a week is pricey?

yeah, *boggle* at that.

E60-70 for an apt in decent shape in the city centre is bloody good actually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dawballz wrote:
    Me and the GF are in Galway at the moment and I'm in college. We're renting an apartment and our lease is up at the end of the college year. We want to stay in Galway for the summer, or at least some of it. I presume it would be cheap enough with all the sudents gone out of the city and all. Could someone recommend somewhere we could check out that would be fairly cheap? I know someone paying 50 euro a week in a house in renmore. The house isn't all that nice but he has a nice big double bed in it and all.

just looked at a ****in savage one today
    60 a week,upstairs beside dunnes slap bang in the middle of the city.
    balcony lookin down onto edwards square i think it's called.its for 4 people.it was seriously unbelievable brand new bathroom,leather sofas and stuff.everything comes with.the only problem for me was it was 2 bedroom with 2 double beds and i dont really sleep with my friends.
    still cant get over it but then again anything is a step up from corrib :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

I presume there'd be no parking spaces around there though.
    Did it have Broadband?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Parking woul dbe your problem there!
    And does the other room have to be filled up?

Myself and the GF want to get our own place for July/August... but we want our OWN place... Most places have at least 2 bedrooms... Is it possible for us to be the only tennants there or would I have to pay an allowance (forget the word im looking for again) for us 2 being the only ones there...?

I'd imagine you'd either have to get more people to move in, the estate agents would find someone/some other couple to move in or you'd have to pay rent on the 2nd room.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

usually you would find ppl to move in if tenants counldnt.or you could pay for both rooms if yer rich.

my friend didnt choose the one i mentioned,cos we found an way better one across the road from it so basically same location.this apartment has three floors(thats right!)
    you get a lift up to the second floor where your door is and you have a floor above and below that.when ya walk in there are stairs goin up and down.on the middle floor there is just a huge ensuite bedroom with a double bed and storage rooms.on the bottom floor there is a similar bedroom and a bedroom with 2 single beds.on the top floor(and this is a penthouse apartment) there is a Huge!! livingroom and a kitchen.there is a big balcony which looks down on dunnes and hmv etc. outside it and two of the walls on this floor are made of glass like an observatory :) 65 euro a week they will be paying.i cannot stress the amount of space in this place and how cool the big wardrobes in the bedrooms aare!on each floor there is a room for storage.

so i think if you too look around for a day like us you will find a fairly good place because loads of students are moving out.i think they lower prices in summer or something? i would not have been surprised if that apartment was not a cuple o' hundred a week.....

Advertisement