Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hate the Tigers so very much...

• 04-04-2005 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

well, i'm sitting here at my work's computer coz i can't sleep. I can't sleep coz i'm so angry and dissappointed that Leinster lost on Saturday. You see the thing is ....I ****ing detest the Leicester Tigers.

I hate them more than any other team on this planet. I hate them more than the English team, i hate them more than Australia (different story), i hate them more than Munster ;)(actually i don't hate Munster at all...quite grudgingly respect them actually)

I didn't always hate the Tigers....in fact, they used to be my "favourite" english team.... i was delighted when the opportunity arose for me to study for an MSc at the University of Leicester (2001-2002) as it gave me a chance to head down to welford Road and watch a bit of Premiership rugby.

Being an absolute rugby nut i decided to get myself a season ticket....I wandered down for the first match of the season and stood in the terrace amonst the other tigers fans. I got chatting to a few around me and they seemed friendly enough, bit of banter about me being irish and all that but all very light hearted. They didn't seem to knowledgable about rugby tho...well at least anything not to do with the tigers.

Enjoyed the game and all was well.

Went to the next few games and i began to find the atmosphere a bit uncomfortable... i couldn't quite place it till about the fourth game and i realised what it was: unbelievable ARROGANCE! The leicester fans were totally ****ing dismissive of everything and everybody not tiger. This really began to urk me....but what really pissed me off was the level of abuse all the other teams (and refs) got! Finally in one game Dave McHugh was reffing and sinbinned M Johnsson for a punch.....the amount of anti irish abuse hurled was horrific. The abuse continued for the rest of the game.

I continued to go but my loathing for the club continued to grow and i began to silently support the opposition, praying they would raid fortress Welford Rd.....

eventually even supporting the oppostion couldn't drag me down there....i just couldn't face watching rugby with such an ignorant crowd of band wagon supporters. In the end i joined a local rugby team and played every sat afternoon instead of watching the tigers...

But then guess what happened??? Didn't Leicester only go and ****ing draw Leinster at Welford Road....unbelievable! Of course the game was a sell out but being a Leicester Season ticket holder i had access to tickets so i bought a heap of them for other Leinster fans...watched Leinster get steam rollered with Nathan Spooner playing with a totally banjaxed shoulder (he couldn't tackle) so Leicester just ran thru him all day....gutting but not as gutting as listening to the Leicester fans guffaw and take the piss out of Ireland and irish teams in general....

But then didn't leicester only fluke their way to the final with a last minute lucky Stimpson penalty over llanelli in the semifianl....only to meet Munster.....and you all know what happened. ****ing Neil Back! and being surrounded by a bunch of ****ers who thought it was their god given right to win the European Cup.....and didn't even appreciate the brilliant atmosphere thew munster fans created in Cardiff that day. ****!

Anyway, living in Leicester and seeing their fans up close and personal has made me extremely anti tiger and by god i love it when they lose... I ****ing love it!

So anybody else hate a team passionately and if so why?

/apologies for the incoherance and spelling....neither are strong points for me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

I hate Leicester aswell for much the same reasons - the arrogance etc.

I alse hate Leinster, bring a fan for a long tim eof Leinster but they always talk themselves up and let the fans down. Take Saturday for instance, they were sh1te. Every year they fall at key hurdles. What have they won - a couple of Interpro Championships and a Celtic Cup. Its rediculous. I was at Sat's game and they were a disgrace. I was so annoyed. They didn't even put up a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You know ruggiebear, i couldn't agree more. But i find that about English sport in General, every national side (and club side) that comes out of England seems to have the empeiral attitude, that they are better than everyone else, they're disrespectfull, patronising, ignorant and arrogant. But none more so than in Rugby, and there are perticular players that have the ultimate empire attitude that is responsible for the English being hated by everyone else in sport, none more so than Dawson, Dallagio, Back, and Mr. Johnson. He is the jewell in the crown. I don't consider him a great player. I consider him a cheat who bends every rule in the game to breaking point, whilst manipulating officials in the game also. I have no respect for the English teams that trounced Ireland, won the world cup, and went on a record winning streak. I don't respect it at all.

As for teams i really like, and have the upmost repect for...The welsh national side who were brave enough to play rugby, and deservedly won the Grand slam at the first time they even had a sniff, and showed the Irsih cowards what they will never achieve and why. I'm very disappointed with the cowards ofLeinster also this weekend. However Leicster were superb.

Munster however, are what Rugby is all about. It is the home of Irish rugby, and probably the heart of world rugby, and they always have so much passion and respect for the jersey, i don't think i've ever seen them let themselves down as badly as other Irish teams have this season. But most of all it's their courage to do the impossible, which they have done countless times, regardless of opposition. They have unquestionably been the best, most consistant and exciting team in the History of the EC, and they probably played in at least half of the greatest games in the competition. The only great injustice is that they never won it. I said during the 6N, i wouldnt mind if Ireland lost all 5 games if they just played to there ability and gave 110%. That munster performance (entire second half anyway) was the exact type that i was talking about. That Leinster performance is the exact type i said i could never accept. Theres different ways of losing, and when Munster do, they do it the right way.

But i have so much respect for Munster. The one team that will never let anyone down.

[edit] That munster game by the way should now be the end of stringers career. He cost them the game, and the only spectacular thing he managed all afternoon was after having such an abysmal, horrific season, he managed to put in his worst performance to date. Again, at fault for virtually every single one of the oppositions scores with stupid penaltys given away when not in possesion, when he did have it, terrible decisions, WAY to slow to recycle, and his now trademark break and lose ball several times during the game, with a minimum of 1 try conceded per game becasue of it. [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

I don't like Leicester very much either but just to be balanced, their crowd was respectful to the kickers when Munster played and beat them at Welford road a couple of seasons ago.

On the subject of teams we dislike etc, I remember George Hook once writing about the six nations in terms of your old school days:

Scotland was your best buddy
    England was the rich snooty kid who thought he was better than you but nobody liked
    Wales was the guy with the same ability as you but thought he was better
    France was the handsome guy who got all the chicks and you wanted to dislike but you actually admired him.

That pretty muchc sums it up for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

On the Subject of the Lenister Vs Leceister match , Why did leinster not get a conversion kick for the try they scored at the end ?? They got the 5 points and then Leicester kicked off , Is there some rule that i'm unaware of ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

LizardKing wrote:
    On the Subject of the Lenister Vs Leceister match , Why did leinster not get a conversion kick for the try they scored at the end ?? They got the 5 points and then Leicester kicked off , Is there some rule that i'm unaware of ???
    they did take the conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

LizardKing, Holwell took a quick dropgoal which is allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Oh right ... did not see that and assumed some weird Rugby rule ... thanks for the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

What was confusing about that conversion was that RTE took 10 minutes to update the score (add 2 points: 11 +2). I figured Leinster must have taken a drop kick but because we couldn't see it on TV and the score wasn't updated it looked like no conversion attempt had been awarded! It was confusing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

What was confusing about that conversion was that RTE took 10 minutes to update the score (add 2 points: 11 +2). I figured Leinster must have taken a drop kick but because we couldn't see it on TV and the score wasn't updated it looked like no conversion attempt had been awarded! It was confusing...

tbh, i never saw the conversion take place either....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I saw the conversion drop goal alright. But answer me this one ;)

What in the hell is going on with all these water bottles flying onto the pitch? The game wasn't 4 minutes old when O'Driscoll, Dempsey at al were being bombardes with water bottles from the backroom team. I would have thought that they would have been better off concentrating on what they were doing. Are Leinster players tolerances to dehydration lower than the rest of the human race?

They seemed to be concentrating on everything but the job in hand. It was my first time seeing Leinster live and it will be my last. What did Niall Francis call them? "Ladies boys" I think. A fitting description. The backroom boys should invest in a few vanity mirrors so that during breaks the lads could adjust their ringlets!

For professionals their apparent lack of focus was very disturbing.

As for Munster yesterday...well I watched it until the very end. That sums up the difference between the sides.

• Advertisement

Valentia wrote:
    .... It was my first time seeing Leinster live and it will be my last. ...

Groovy...tbh we won't miss you much either.

I'm afraid i don't have any choice in the matter....Leinster could be **** for the next 50 years and I'll still try and get to every game i can. I will go win lose or draw...

tbh i'm not a big fan of playing in Lansdowne Road....way to big for the amount of genuine Leinster fans there are, just glad we took your money.

BTW, you are of course right about the bottles and the lack of focus but your statement above annoyed me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think he's dead wrong about the water - it's important to keep as hydrated as possible, studies have long shown this to be of vital importance in sports performance. Google "Peak performance" + appropriate keywords.

As for playing in Lansdowne, I'll never agree with you there Ruggie. Why would Leinster prefer to play in a small capacity ground with no atmosphere vs a large capacity ground with no atmosphere?

Trojan wrote:
    I think he's dead wrong about the water - it's important to keep as hydrated as possible, studies have long shown this to be of vital importance in sports performance. Google "Peak performance" + appropriate keywords.

As for playing in Lansdowne, I'll never agree with you there Ruggie. Why would Leinster prefer to play in a small capacity ground with no atmosphere vs a large capacity ground with no atmosphere?

I understand the reason for the water i just find it irritating to see a horde of peope come onto the field after practically every whistle.... :D

As for Donnybrook.....for the HC there is atmosphere. I remeber the leicester match a good few years ago and the place was heaving and i mean heaving...place was like a can of sardines....it was great, Serevi was on the wing and the atmosphere was electric.

I remember the other year when (Montferend) came to town after Bory had kneed D'Arcy in the back (which could be where all his hamstring and groin problems stem from) and the whole Donnybrook terrace were chanting "Bory Bory" in as sinister a way as possible. ****in hilarious.

Think the problem is that without the stars and quite often without any good rugby being played by the leinster 2nd stringers people can't/don't/won't get into it....tbh i don't really know why!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

your statement above annoyed me

I certainly didn't intend to annoy anyone :)

It's my first post in the rugby forum and it was just a means of venting my frustration with Saturday. You are a real supporter :D

Valentia wrote:
    I certainly didn't intend to annoy anyone :)

It's my first post in the rugby forum and it was just a means of venting my frustration with Saturday. You are a real supporter :D

ah don't mind me....i'm still annoyed and looking for any excuse to snap and be mean. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

You're very mean all right... You sound more like a football fan than a rugby fan...

"I remember the other year when (Montferend) came to town after Bory had kneed D'Arcy in the back (which could be where all his hamstring and groin problems stem from) and the whole Donnybrook terrace were chanting "Bory Bory" in as sinister a way as possible. ****in hilarious."

"...your statement above annoyed me"

"...just glad we took your money."

"I ****ing detest the Leicester Tigers"

You sound more like a hooligan than a rugby enthusiast to me... :( I understand if you're annoyed with the results at the week-end but, in my opinion, there's no need for this kind of attitude...

You're very mean all right... You sound more like a football fan than a rugby fan...

"I remember the other year when (Montferend) came to town after Bory had kneed D'Arcy in the back (which could be where all his hamstring and groin problems stem from) and the whole Donnybrook terrace were chanting "Bory Bory" in as sinister a way as possible. ****in hilarious."

"...your statement above annoyed me"

"...just glad we took your money."

"I ****ing detest the Leicester Tigers"

You sound more like a hooligan than a rugby enthusiast to me... :( I understand if you're annoyed with the results at the week-end but, in my opinion, there's no need for this kind of attitude...

lol

You sound more like a hooligan than a rugby enthusiast to me...

an impression which would be confirmed by meeting him tbh :p

p.s Sorry for not getting back to you on sat P, I was just too pissed off to do anything but perform a ritual burning of leinster effigys.

uberwolf wrote:
    p.s Sorry for not getting back to you on sat P, I was just too pissed off to do anything but perform a ritual burning of leinster effigys.

no worries...had a rake of pints, had a bit of banter with some munster boys and went to bed early :eek: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

DubGuy22 wrote:
    Munster however, are what Rugby is all about. It is the home of Irish rugby, and probably the heart of world rugby, and they always have so much passion and respect for the jersey, i don't think i've ever seen them let themselves down as badly as other Irish teams have this season. But most of all it's their courage to do the impossible, which they have done countless times, regardless of opposition. They have unquestionably been the best, most consistant and exciting team in the History of the EC, and they probably played in at least half of the greatest games in the competition. The only great injustice is that they never won it. I said during the 6N, i wouldnt mind if Ireland lost all 5 games if they just played to there ability and gave 110%. That munster performance (entire second half anyway) was the exact type that i was talking about. That Leinster performance is the exact type i said i could never accept. Theres different ways of losing, and when Munster do, they do it the right way.

But i have so much respect for Munster. The one team that will never let anyone down.

Let's not go overboard now, Munster are a pretty good European club team, they are not the "heart of world rugby".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You wont find more passion for rugby in Wales or NZ or anywhere :) I suppose im just looking for the positives of the season, as it's pretty much over for the Irish. But i don't think that's overboard. I think it's pretty accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

DubGuy22 wrote:
    [edit] That munster game by the way should now be the end of stringers career. He cost them the game, and the only spectacular thing he managed all afternoon was after having such an abysmal, horrific season, he managed to put in his worst performance to date. Again, at fault for virtually every single one of the oppositions scores with stupid penaltys given away when not in possesion,

Are you sure that was Stringer? I thought it was Quinlan. The other shaven headed Munster player who can look a bit like Stringer from a distance. Although there is quite a difference between them physically. Like about 10 inches and 55lbs.

Quinlan gave away around 3 pens in 10 mins at one point. Stringer gave away more than that, but over a longer time.

Quinlan had a shocker alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

i dont care about trying to bring in as few internationals as possible, leinster need to sort out that pack, most know they have their place for certain in the pack. if they cant do the job their are plenty around the world who can. its so fustrating seeing the backline we have and not been able to use it. even looking at toulose i think we have a better backline but its not exactly shining with the state of the pack. the whole of the leinster team needs to start acting like a team. The arguement that leinster are not getting enough quality fixtures compared to the english and french teams i think is false. the celtic league has quality teams since they are all now provincial sides in it and we should really focus on making this league work. the ospreys showed leinster and munster that they dont have a dinvine right to win the competion

munster lacked some kind of spark, brian lima could give this to them. but didnt make a wholy show of themselves and looked like they wanted to play rugby.

any european success for leinster is a long way off

I'd love to see last weekends Connacht team against Leinsters ;) If we close down Drico we'd have ye :)

Trojan wrote:
    I'd love to see last weekends Connacht team against Leinsters ;) If we close down Drico we'd have ye :)

i still think leinster would win (well i would wouldn't I)....as well and all as Conacht played they are no Leicester :D

RuggieBear wrote:
    i still think leinster would win (well i would wouldn't I)....as well and all as Conacht played they are no Leicester :D

no offence to Conacht who do play good rugby but if a team with as many internationals started losing to Conacht they might as well give up

• Advertisement

They didn't need to be a Leicester - all they needed to do was turn up with their boots as far as I can see.

Besides I'm sure our 14 supporters will silence Lansdowne. And you lot always get confused and start singing our songs.

spanner wrote:
    no offence to Conacht who do play good rugby but if a team with as many internationals started losing to Conacht they might as well give up

well as much as i hate to admit it...i believe last year that a leinster team full of the internationals including BOD lost to connacht :eek: :o

Having said that the leinster 2nd stringers beat connacht this season home and away and at the match at home this season the leinster pack with 2 men sinbinned stopped a number of Connacht 5yrd scrums.... :D

btw, i reckon Leinster are the interpro champions this year....we beat both ulster and connacht home and away (i think) and also Munster at home.

Championes championes ole ole ole OLE.....!!!! :p

Trojan wrote:

Besides I'm sure our 14 supporters will silence Lansdowne. And you lot always get confused and start singing our songs.

but are you sure they'd have turned up.....would have cost them €30 to sit in the stands.... ;)

"ole ole OLE"....

Wait for it, hear come "The Fields..."

:)

oh and btw we don't sing your songs...we don't sing any songs anymore :o :rolleyes:

besides it's the munster boys stealing the songs... :D

Yeah but I don't have enough ammunition to slag them properly so I'll stick to picking on you.

• Advertisement

o but we are meant to sing "molly molone" which must be the worst rugby song i have ever heard and probably why no one sings it. did you see the tolouse match, my god they would drown out munster, its like they are chanting, It looks like a great statium must be some atmosphere

RuggieBear wrote:

Having said that the leinster 2nd stringers beat connacht this season home and away and at the match at home this season the leinster pack with 2 men sinbinned stopped a number of Connacht 5yrd scrums.... :D

beat me to the punch. Was at that (Donnybrook), bragging rights decided there Trojan, you're just dredging now.

Trojan wrote:
    Yeah but I don't have enough ammunition to slag them properly so I'll stick to picking on you.

suddenly it all becomes clear..... :D

Well we do have the "the Boys are back in town....the boys...."

wonder if we'll steal your coach this season too....

I think Pete St John is from Dublin so maybe it is a Leinster song after all!

But yes, we Munstermen did steal it...

• Advertisement

MG wrote:
    I think Pete St John is from Dublin so maybe it is a Leinster song after all!

But yes, we Munstermen did steal it...

i believe it was originally published in 1888....

RuggieBear wrote:
    i believe it was originally published in 1888....

Oooh don't know about that....... I think Pete St John wrote it in 1979. He owns the copyright anyway........unless it is to a traditional air or something.

Fairly common mistake to believe that it is a traditional song. Same for "Flower of Scotland" and "Green fields of France" (Young Willie McBride). Both were written in the 60s and 70's by Scotsmen.

MG wrote:
    Oooh don't know about that....... I think Pete St John wrote it in 1979. He owns the copyright anyway........unless it is to a traditional air or something.

Fairly common mistake to believe that it is a traditional song. Same for "Flower of Scotland" and "Green fields of France" (Young Willie McBride). Both were written in the 60s and 70's by Scotsmen.

tbh i haven't a clue.....i'll just run off and google

Advertisement