Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4m/bit Broadband enhanced = No upgrade at all.

• 04-04-2005 9:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I have enhanced here and my router is reporting 4096 x 256. But the max download speeds are 210-230 k/b per second. I'm not the only one with this problem. If it continues like this we might as well downgrade to a cheap residential package and save ourselves over €100 per month.

Looks like Eircom couldn't manage to do a simple upgrade. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 declans

We are also on the Enhanced and I have just downloaded an update from the Network Associates site @ 361K - Look ok from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Praetorian wrote:
    If it continues like this we might as well downgrade to a cheap residential package and save ourselves over €100 per month.

what about the imaginary cap on the lower products?
    btw what are pings like? are you still on high interleaving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Pings are exactly the same unfortunately. The highest speeds I've seen so far are

ftp.esat.com 220 k/b per second
    ftp.heanet.com 230 k/b per second
    microsoft update site 260 k/b per second

I'm only about 100 metres from the exchange so it couldn't be a distance problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's far too low for a 4mbps line. I get that on 2meg. Give them a call. Although there are alot of people complaining about speed.. My connection is really touch and go.. One minute I'm getting 120 from heanet, then next 220. I don't think eircom have got this upgrade down right at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

We have a 4 meg line here in college however its only getting about 150-170k/sec which is less than we had on the upgrade (we had 2meg here and it was around 220)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mylo

someone said on here yesterday that al eircom packages are Rate Adaptive now

Rate-adaptive DSL - This is a variation of ADSL, but the modem can adjust the speed of the connection depending on the length and quality of the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

They are rate adaptive, but if you're connected at 4096kb, then your connection supports 4Mb. I've tried two lines, both are connected at 4Mb, but they can only download at 2Mb so it's obviously the ATM PVCs haven't been upgraded yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mylo

source - Eircoms own speed test

Business Enhanced
    On this package you should expect download Speeds of between 2MB and 4MB (megabytes) or 200KB and 400KB(Kilobytes)

"between 2MB and 4MB"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Seems to be still stuck at 2mb here in Coolock.

"between 2MB and 4MB"?

So that's 2MB then... hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

mylo wrote:
    "between 2MB and 4MB"

sounds like RADSL all right .

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

As ro2 said, if it's connecting at 4, then it can do 4. RADSL or no RADS.
    As has been said, it's likely a bottleneck in the Eircom exchanges, our lines may be able to recieve at 3/4mb, but the eircom equipment can't manage it. Today is the 4th so they should have it sorted by now, give it another day or 2.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

yip, everyone is now on rate adaptive adsl

I'm literally accross the road from the exchange so this really is very bad form indeed. If things don't improve in the next week or so, Eircom can say good bye to us, and I'll say hello to the wireless companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

Just contacted Eircom about only getting 250KB/s on a 4Mb connection, and they said
    "Been Rate Adaptive if you are only getting 250KB/s that probably all you will get."

What sort of answer is this. I might aswell be still on the 2Mb package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

and hello to a whole new set of problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

personally, i think every package should have a guranteed speed of being no more than half-way down to the next nearest package, and whatever speed is negotiated by your modem, should be the actual speed supported by the line, otherwise, methinks eircom and the likes are just screwing people, and blaming it on RADSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

JNive wrote:
    personally, i think every package should have a guranteed speed of being no more than half-way down to the next nearest package, and whatever speed is negotiated by your modem, should be the actual speed supported by the line, otherwise, methinks eircom and the likes are just screwing people, and blaming it on RADSL.

Absolutely correct if the modem can negotiate 4Mb with the Dslam then you should should get the full speed. You will know your modem is rate adapting if you should have a 4mb connection but instead it connects at 3276mbps or something like that.
    It looks to me like eircom are having problems with backhaul form the exchanges which makes me think they are either not finished the upgrade process yet or more worringly they didn't think this though or provision sufficient backhaul bandwidth to support this upgrade.
    Heres hoping they get it sorted soon.
    At the moment my 3MB connection is giving me speeds equal or worse than a 512k connection meaning I was better off before the "upgrade"
    pings are also erratic and spiking.

Pinging www.boards.ie [82.195.144.58] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.144.58: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.144.58: bytes=32 time=348ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.144.58: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=60
    Reply from 82.195.144.58: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=60

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

same here, i was on the Bizjet enhanced, as theres no one else sharing my line im basically on a 1:1 contention but my so called new 3Mbit account maxes out @ about 240-260, i suppose its not that bad though for free

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

Been testing 3 Eircom enhanced lines in various parts of Limerick since yesterday. The most I can get is 260KB/sec. All three modems show connection of 4096.

• Advertisement

If there is anyone getting near 400 k/b per second on an enhanced line, please let us know :)

for the record

http://members.boards.ie/praetorian/speeds%20update.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SixtyFwee

No joy on any extra speed from the douglas exchange in Cork.

We are showing 4mbit, but the download speed has not increased. I have rang them about this, and am waiting for a response, I'll post here when I get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Looks like there still working on it here in celbridge, was getting 250 kb/s earlier. It been changing a lot all day..its at 75kb/s max now :confused:

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

The full upgrade does not have to take effect til the 8th so it could just be capped until then.

Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

slade_x wrote:
    same here, i was on the Bizjet enhanced, as theres no one else sharing my line im basically on a 1:1 contention but my so called new 3Mbit account maxes out @ about 240-260, i suppose its not that bad though for free

Yes I'm getting that aswell, definitley not a coincidence, there just isn't enough bandwidth on each connection to make 3/4 megabit, doesn't matter what the modems negotiate at. This needs fixing. Blaming it on RADSL is a poor excuse and doesn't fool me.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yer, id say there still tweaking it...no probs waiting until thurs-fri just as long as theres a stable connection until then :)

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SixtyFwee

*BUMP*

Any one have any success with the 4MB connection yet?

We have not.

No change here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

or here. (malahide exchange)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

Also, is anyone else experiencing their connection dropping all the time?
    I can't play a quick game of CS or even use an SSH connection without having to keep restart it from dropped connections.

Advertisement