Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4m/bit Broadband enhanced = No upgrade at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SixtyFwee

No connection problems being experienced.

As of Wednesday Morning still no upgrade in sight. I did get a lovely letter confirming I had been upgraded though :mad:

I also got a nice email from their marketing dept asking me how well the previous rep had dealt with my query. He did a great job, said he would call back, then never did :mad:

Anyone else having any luck with this 'upgrade'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

At work we have been upgraded, ie. the modem reports 4096kb, but there's no noticable speed increase. Bandwidth tests also show up as 2mb/s :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

my modem is showing 4mb aswell, although speeds are sub 2mb...
    it keeps ****ing crashing out aswell, it's doing my head in as i run a small email server off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SixtyFwee

Enhanced is now down for us (douglas cork), I gather from another friend in dublin that his has been dead for the same period also (malahide).

Anyone got the same?

My line and another guy i know with enhanced's line have both been down now for the last hour.
    This service is totally unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Ok, Praetorian has figured it out. ;)

http://members.boards.ie/praetorian/oooh_yea.JPG

Now those are the kind of speeds I was expecting.

Officially we're with Eircom, but we have many difference DSL lines in our company (and they are not all with eircom directly), so I tried a different providers / name / password / ip number. The result is that I'm getting nice speeds on our 4m/bit line.

So I think you can take it as gospel, that Eircom have configured something wrong, and I'm sure they'll address it very soon. Ye all should receive nice speed increases as soon as Eircom get their problem resolved.

Ohh, and the official word from eircom support is that, "I'm afraid you are on rate adaptive dsl, and we cannot guarantee 4m/bit". He also said "250 k/b per second is very good", not on a 4m/bit line mate.

yeah, i would do that if my entire connection wasn't ****ed at the moment.

He also mentioned that "lots" of lines were down on the south side of Dublin, and they were swamped with calls.

and the north side.
    (malahide)
    fix malahide first you thick *****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Praetorian wrote:
    Ohh, and the official word from eircom support is that, "I'm afraid you are on rate adaptive dsl, and we cannot guarantee 4m/bit". He also said "250 k/b per second is very good", not on a 4m/bit line mate.

They're beginning to sound more like IBB by the day. I got a similar speel from Eircom support the other day but the guy did in the end accept that he didn't have a clue.

Is your router saying 4Mbps or a lower speed? If the router says 4Mbps then the problem is obviously not the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Well obviously its not your lines fault if it says 4096k...hahahaha!!!!

What a pile of crap...could they be given more detailed explanation sheets than just saying the above!!!
    It must be annoying to work in those call centres and rattling off a point sheet for every new problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I'm the same .. 4Mbps line maxing out at <25KBps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Praetorian wrote:
    Officially we're with Eircom, but we have many difference DSL lines in our company (and they are not all with eircom directly), so I tried a different providers / name / password / ip number. The result is that I'm getting nice speeds on our 4m/bit line.

Which provider did it work with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

SixtyFwee wrote:
    No connection problems being experienced.

As of Wednesday Morning still no upgrade in sight. I did get a lovely letter confirming I had been upgraded though :mad:
    Yeah, i got that letter this monring too, it made me chuckle with rage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Just after doing a speed test on teh college line (made sure thers no network activity)

Downloading @ 982kbps
    Uploading @ 115kbps
    Quality of service was something like 33%

The speeds on the line just seem to have died over the last few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Integra

I talked to our account manager about our business enhanced dsl lines today..... he wouldnt give much away but told me to wait until after the 8th then call again.... apparantly exchanges are still being upgraded and lines are capped until its completed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Hope thats true Integra, i just go a call back from them " cause i rang up on sunday complaining the speeds were pure ****e" and the line is still at the normal 2mb, but i asked him about the upgrade and he didnt really have a clue, he told me to talk to the sales ppl :confused:

can only wait till tomorrow or saturday to see if it gets worked out...

CC

well I mentioned to him that I would downgrade every line we have to starter, or just move our contract to a different company if it doesnt get any better very soon.....

I reckon it will be sorted soon

it better be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I hit the 380kbps solid last tuesday in Athlone. Plus I think the site had limited the download speed. Has anyone got some fast server download links so I can test to see if I can possably hit the 500 area?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

That's all very well and good, but then they shouldn't be telling people that it's due to RADSL, and that's the best they are going to get. Because that simply isn't true.

Gav

I'm still only getting ~250 k/b per second on Eircom "4m/bit". Whereas I can get 400+ with another supplier.

Bob BoT, you should try http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/knoppix.org/KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso

GavinJCD wrote:
    That's all very well and good, but then they shouldn't be telling people that it's due to RADSL, and that's the best they are going to get. Because that simply isn't true.

Gav

True.... If it was due to RADSL, 4mbit would not be showing on the router atm statistics

They need to come up with a better excuse than that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Hit 406kb steady using this link ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/shrike-SRPMS-disc3.iso plus there was already activity on the line. We're with Eircom

What exchange are you on? I mean are u town centre or outside of it? I think there's a few in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

I'm getting 9MB/s off that HeaNet site...

What size pipe does DCU have?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

err, I'm not sure but isn't HEAnet local to DCU? Do a traceroute to ftp.heanet.ie and see what you get. I'm pretty sure it's on the same LAN. That's the only thing I can think of that would give you those sort of speeds. That or a someone downloaded the same file and the proxy has cached it.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

HEAnet is DCUs ISP and they've a gigabit connection to them. ftp.heanet.ie is in their office - beside Lansdowne Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Like with like kids, we're talking of 4Mbps xDSL connections here.

I've tried at various hours of the day here (on Terenure Exchange), and there doesn't seem to be any variation on speed (which there would most likely be if it was a contention issue).. it jumps between 210Kbps and 275Kbps (and no, it's not local traffic).

.cg

Advertisement