Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4m/bit Broadband enhanced = No upgrade at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

That explains the speeds he's getting off them so.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

DCU only have a 100Mbit connection to heanet as shown here

Back on topic.. Still only getting 250KB on my line. Today is the 8th so it should be running at 4Mb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Nope, no change here either, :confused:

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

heanet have a PoP in DCU , which has gige connection to their backbone afaik.
    But DCU itself only has a connection of 110Mbit to the pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Not too sure what exchange I'm on, but I'm directly in the the middle of the town. Anyway to check the exchange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Still topping out at 2Mb here, and ffs will people in college stop spamming up the thread, this is about eircoms business Adsl product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

what he said.
    shut the **** up about heanet
    (still no change here.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

ok well just off the phone with some eircom chap, about the supposed upgrade...he said that the increase is going to come into affect from today only.... :confused: sounds like he was trying to fob me off, lol.

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

where the hell was this all week??? I missed it completely.

I have installed BB in a lot of premisis in the south east, about 10 are business plus/enhanced.

All 10 have the same speed problems - approx 230-250KB/s - i was given out ****e to eircom today on the phone only to be told its rate adaptive blah blah blah ...

"i've seen people getting over 400 KB/s" this guy was telling me. I'm rather unhappy and have complained to the highest person possible. Also sending him this thread.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Integra

hmmm, I think we can believe them...... Lets hope the network stays up this time when they flick the switch :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

flamegrill wrote:
    only to be told its rate adaptive blah blah blah ...
    Did you (or anyone for that matter) argue that the hardware says otherwise? If so what was the response (/me presumes it was along the lines of you couldn't possibly know what you're talking about, and that the rep. was the all knowing)?
    flamegrill wrote:
    "i've seen people getting over 400 KB/s"
    heh , excellent.. I'd say there was some lip biting at that one!!

So, either it's down to
    1. lots of different hardware reporting incorrect sync/speeds
    2. drastically disimproved contention issues,
    3. f*cked up upgrade, and sheer eircom rep. arrogance to refuse to accept that it could be a problem (point blank)

My money is on C. I don't believe it to be A, based on what I've read about the workings of DSL. I can't see how it could be B (unless contention ratios went up as a result of the upgrade), as I've never had any noticable contention on my line, regardless of time of day, and now I max out at 250-275Kbps at any time of the day (not many people use their DSL to it's full capacity at 4.30am).

I'll try eircom again on Monday if it's not fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Praetorian wrote:
    Ok, Praetorian has figured it out. ;)

http://members.boards.ie/praetorian/oooh_yea.JPG

Now those are the kind of speeds I was expecting.

Officially we're with Eircom, but we have many difference DSL lines in our company (and they are not all with eircom directly), so I tried a different providers / name / password / ip number. The result is that I'm getting nice speeds on our 4m/bit line.

So I think you can take it as gospel, that Eircom have configured something wrong, and I'm sure they'll address it very soon. Ye all should receive nice speed increases as soon as Eircom get their problem resolved.

Ohh, and the official word from eircom support is that, "I'm afraid you are on rate adaptive dsl, and we cannot guarantee 4m/bit". He also said "250 k/b per second is very good", not on a 4m/bit line mate.

Can you please tell me where did you get that torrent? I wanna test my speed.

well its friday and its still a joke.
    If this goes on much longer i'm switching provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Relax guys. It's only a matter of time before Eircom cop on to the stupid error they've made, and people should then see the speeds they expect. As I said earlier in this thread, the lines are capable of more and I proved it. It's a configuration problem by Eirincompetent :)

CyberGhost, I'm sorry I don't have the torrent at home. But it's probably on the knoppix web site :)

Well as Preatorian said it's all to do with eircom. Not our lines.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

cgarvey wrote:
    Like with like kids, we're talking of 4Mbps xDSL connections here.

I've tried at various hours of the day here (on Terenure Exchange), and there doesn't seem to be any variation on speed (which there would most likely be if it was a contention issue).. it jumps between 210Kbps and 275Kbps (and no, it's not local traffic).

.cg

I'm on the Terenure exchange also, but only on the 2mb line which has been fine since Wednesday (pretty much straight line 208k to newshosting), until Tuesday it was a bit hit and miss.
    Kinda glad I downgraded to 512 when I heard of the then upcoming speed increases now.

I'm inclined to go with your line of thinking , if the speed is relatively constant and not varying wildly during the daytime - mine doesnt vary by hour of day at all which makes me believe the Terenure exchange users are not suffering from contention..I wonder if the backhaul into the Terenure exchange can handle a 4mb line at the moment pure and simple.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

yep got it! thanks :)

Praetorian wrote:
    Relax guys. It's only a matter of time before Eircom cop on to the stupid error they've made, and people should then see the speeds they expect. As I said earlier in this thread, the lines are capable of more and I proved it. It's a configuration problem by Eirincompetent :)

Yeah but business users shouldn't have to put up with this kind of incompetence. I have to restart SSH sessions about 3 times an hour because the tits in eircom don't know what they're doing and the connection keep dropping.

enhanced my ass.

the eircom guy went off to talk to his boss.

he was told to tell me that under no circumstances would the cap be removed. Eircom are well aware of the issue but are told under no circumstances to reveal it to anyone.

When this hits the media there's gona be murders :)

Paul

Yeh I'm seeing the same disconnects a lot more than I should.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

flamegrill wrote:
    the eircom guy went off to talk to his boss.

he was told to tell me that under no circumstances would the cap be removed. Eircom are well aware of the issue but are told under no circumstances to reveal it to anyone.

When this hits the media there's gona be murders :)

Paul

Are you talking about a 2Mbit cap?
    I suspect we might see some improvement tomorrow given that it's a Saturday.

its saturday now and connection is still dropping all over the place and still no 4mb....
    what a complete joke.

I wish they would just tell us what the issue is...... Hello eircom? Are you listening?

Peanut wrote:
    Are you talking about a 2Mbit cap?
    I suspect we might see some improvement tomorrow given that it's a Saturday.

Yes, it appears they basically limited almost all the 3 and 4 mbit customers to a little over 2 mbit. The real thorn in my side at this point is, they have told their tech support teams to claim its because of RADSL. But we all know RADSL works on an ATM level, and if you sync at 4mbit you should get between 350KB/s and 450KB/s (theoretically it would be 512KB/s)

Its bad form and I expect there to be either a law suit or at least Comreg/Minister for comm's to lart eircom on this issue. They can't blatantly do what they have done without circumstances. Also its their own damn fault for upgrading all the leecher mofo's to 1 and 2 mbit :)

If they don't have the capacity or their equipment can't cope with it, I don't see why we should have to pay 89 euro and 169 euro for a speed we can recieve on a product priced for 45 euro.

I'd like to take phone numbers (DSL enabled phone numbers) and the Speed you are on, according to your router in PM. I intend to send this to Ioffl officially for a cracking story for next weeks newspapers.

Regards,

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Integra

I'm going to phone our government account manager on Monday and demand an explanation for this..... If I get fobbed off with excuses I'll ask him to downgrade all our lines or maybe just switch providers :mad:

Whats the point in paying 169 euro a month??

Indeed!

As i said previously - I have over 45 customers that i have put on eircom broadband. I know none of them would have any issue moving to netsource.

Paul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

email PHIL.NOLAN@EIRCOM.IE about it !

flamegrill wrote:
    Indeed!

As i said previously - I have over 45 customers that i have put on eircom broadband. I know none of them would have any issue moving to netsource.

Paul

Will this actually help any of them though given that Netsource are Eircom resellers ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Yup.

The bitstream part of it isn't capped. i.e. the ATM level - the cappage is happening at pppoe time when eircom's BAS hands over a speed for the ppp link.

As stated by others previously in this thread, fire in an @netsource.ie username and password and you will get the 4mbps.

The problem is that eircom have over 100k lines and now have approx 8 times the through put on their own backhaul links. I don't think they expected it to be as big an issue. Sending the bloody letters to people stating they were going to be upgraded and that caps were increasing was mad. Absolutely mad. Every single eircom customer has it in writing that their line would go at speed "X mbps".

Simply put they are boned. :)

As i have said and will continue to say the press are going to have a field day with this.

Paul

Thanks Paul ,learned something new today !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

I got a 3mb connection wit digiweb and today iv
    been gettin speeds of tops 360kB`s 4rm usenet
    that sounds good to me.
    the only thing is if i have 1connection open say
    downloading a 1rar file i only get something like
    220kB`s but if i open another connection and
    download 2rar`s at the one time i get over 300kB`s
    constantly. its the same wit bittorrent and dc++
    cant max out wit one or the other but if i run the two at
    the same time i max my connection time after time.
    all n all im happy better then not getting a upgrage.

Advertisement