Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4m/bit Broadband enhanced = No upgrade at all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It might be because 1 file actually can't keep up with the connection, you lucky biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

flamegrill wrote:
    Sending the bloody letters to people stating they were going to be upgraded and that caps were increasing was mad. Absolutely mad. Every single eircom customer has it in writing that their line would go at speed "X mbps".

Simply put they are boned. :)

As i have said and will continue to say the press are going to have a field day with this.

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

damien.m wrote:
    Well said.

Thank you.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

it doesn't seem to be disconnecting as much but the speeds are still 2mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

flamegrill wrote:
    The problem is that eircom have over 100k lines and now have approx 8 times the through put on their own backhaul links. I don't think they expected it to be as big an issue.

8 times? Where did you get that from? Even though speeds in some cases quadrupled I doubt their bandwidth usage went up even 50%.

• Advertisement

its a guesstimate.

Basically they went from having a handfull probably circa 2-3000 2mbps lines to having approx 50k lines. The actual throughput on these with all the leechers would be massive in comparision to what it was before. The main problem was the letter to each and ever user.

eircom: i wish to inform you that your broadband will now be 2 times as fast or 4 times as fast as it was before and we are upping your download allowance"

I would reckon that most users went nuts for the first week and are problem still going nuts.

Lets see what happens over the next few days.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭GavinJCD

The contention ratios should be dealing with that. They haven't changed have they?

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm about to lose my patience with Eircom. The problem is still not resolved, and it's getting worse if anything. I'll only give them a couple more days before I order IBB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yup, in work and still showing 4069kb/s but only getting 2mb/s :(
    Damn Eircom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SixtyFwee

No sign of an upgrade here yet. Anyone have any joy on the phone of eircom today so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

no.
    my connection is still dog****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Still poor here, if anything it's geting slower.

eircom are still playing the RADSL game.

Anyways best course of action.

send an email outlining your problem to:

broadband.support@eircom.net

- call your account manager in a weeks time if you get no satisfactory answer from them and downgrade to the 2mbps line. If enough people downgrade it should put some sort of pressure on them to sort this issue out.

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Just spoke to a pleasant guy in support, and he told me a few things...

The modem speed reports the maximum speed configuration of the DSLAM/ASLAM, and not the actual speed of connection, or the initial connection speed, which I explained I understood it to be. He had been advised of that by his own support team.

The "network is currently uncontended", as they do not have "enough customers" yet.

(this is the best..) Using some OLO provider's username/password will not be indicative of the capability of the line, because of how eircom's authentication system works. When I questioned that with "but if I get higher than 230K download speed, does that not mean my RADSL line is capable?", and the response was along the lines of no, because authentication is tied to the port.

He's passing it on to some team I can't remember the name of ("System Management Team"), or something like that, who'll check whether my line is capable of supporting higher speeds. I can expect a call within a day or two, but by the end of the week.

Certainly no mention of any speed cap!! So, I guess I'll have to wait a day or two for them to go through their process. If any netsource/UTV/ESat (bitsream reseller only!) 4MB customer wants to take a trip to Terenure and try their username/pwd on my line, you'll be more than welcome ;)

I didn't get annoyed, for the first time in a large number of years, on my call to eircom.. so credit to that lad for his professionalism and manners, even if I'm unconvinced of his technical statements.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Technically I think that's a load of balls, since my router at home reports speeds between 1888 and 2018 and they are the speeds I get. I presume my DSLAM is reporting 2048 but since it's "rate-adaptive" all I'm getting is ~1950kb/s.
    So my router is reporting the speed of the line at my house, not the exchange/DSLAM.

So if the router displays 4096kb/s, like it does where I work, then that's what I should get, and not some Eircom imposed speed limit.

WizZard wrote:
    Technically I think that's a load of balls, since my router at home reports speeds between 1888 and 2018
    I thought so too, but didn't have proof to back it up, because I've only ever seen full rate.

Cheers

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Shadow-Lord

cgarvey

I have been told the same, that they have passed it on to some management team.
    That was over a week ago.

I told them there was no point been on a 4Mb package when only getting 2Mb speeds and was told to take it up with Customer Support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

cgarvey wrote:
    (this is the best..) Using some OLO provider's username/password will not be indicative of the capability of the line, because of how eircom's authentication system works. When I questioned that with "but if I get higher than 230K download speed, does that not mean my RADSL line is capable?", and the response was along the lines of no, because authentication is tied to the port.

So you can get 2mbit using a different provider on the same line and they still wanted to send an engineer to "check whether my line is capable of supporting higher speeds." ????

If they were trying to fob you off they could have at least put it better!!

cgarvey wrote:

The modem speed reports the maximum speed configuration of the DSLAM/ASLAM, and not the actual speed of connection, or the initial connection speed, which I explained I understood it to be. He had been advised of that by his own support team.

.cg

We've already proved that not to be the case though haven't we. We're seeing people connection at 1700's and 1900's, and even a fraction below 2 megabit and they are getting the speeds they should get. Total bull****. At least they are getting more imaginitive.

Gav

Just an update ....

So I've just got my first ever follow up call from eircom (despite the many I've been promised down through the years), so kudos arís!

Bottom line, which I'm happy enough with, is to wait while upgrade teething problems are being sorted. Since my earlier post, I've seen the NetSource (390-405K) vs eircom (220-260K) on a 4MBit line (not mine). Also, I've seen a modem reporting actual connect speed (which was a fraction below max) in town.

Pimp also had some encouraging comments which does give me hope that it will be sorted.. I guess there are higher priority connection issues to be solved first, which is fair enough.

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

I just talked to eircom about the three lines in different parts of Limerick giving very consistent results (230-250KB/sec), even thought the modem connects at 4096/256. The guy was very reasonable and understanding. He did not use the RADSL excuse, and did admit that some calls were starting to come in on the problem. Also, the upgrade has had it's hiccups, and they're still in the process of upgrading. They probably won't be in a position to look at our problem at least until the upgrade is complete. He agreed that there's no point in sticking with enhanced, when I can go down 15% in speed and 50% in price....
    Praetorian wrote:
    ...so I tried a different providers / name / password / ip number. The result is that I'm getting nice speeds on our 4m/bit line.

I mentioned this in passing, and he was MOST interested. At least that comment is in the eircom support system now.

It may be a few weeks before it's sorted out.

Cheers,
    Dave.

GavinJCD wrote:
    We've already proved that not to be the case though haven't we
    "Ye" may have, but I hadn't seen proof, which is why I didn't refute that on the phone. I have seen it 1st hand now alright, but I still don't know that all xDSL modems report it, or maybe eircom support staff don't know / are being told the wrong thing .. it's not for me to say.

Also, I'm just thinking here .. I've only seen a NetSource 4Mb user on an eircom 4Mb line.. does a 4Mb NetSource user give you 4Mb on another line whose subscriber is subscribed to 2Mb, i.e. is the speed tied to the account / PPP(oX) session or to the DSLAM port? Might have some bearing on why "it wouldn't make any difference" in my original call.

Anywho, time will tell.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

I was also onto a pleasant chap in Eircom this morning, unfortunately it sounds as if they are towing the party line (nothing is wrong on our end, it must be your phone line). I would've believed him if it wasn't for the fact that nobody here has gone over 260KB/s.

Has anyone asked Eircom what the line quality criteria is for 4Mbps? Given that most routers give stats on the line quality it would seem to be an intelligent way to troubleshoot the problem instead of endlessly blaming RADSL.

I used an Eircom 4Mbps ADSL line the other day and I got over 3Mbps on it. Not my own so I don't know any details about it.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Has anyone asked Eircom what the line quality criteria is for 4Mbps? Given that most routers give stats on the line quality it would seem to be an intelligent way to troubleshoot the problem instead of endlessly blaming RADSL.
    Nope, but they've never given those details away anyway, before or after the last relaxation of criteria.. have they?

Nor did they ask me for any of that detail.

cgarvey wrote:
    "Ye" may have, but I hadn't seen proof, which is why I didn't refute that on the phone. I have seen it 1st hand now alright, but I still don't know that all xDSL modems report it, or maybe eircom support staff don't know / are being told the wrong thing .. it's not for me to say.

Also, I'm just thinking here .. I've only seen a NetSource 4Mb user on an eircom 4Mb line.. does a 4Mb NetSource user give you 4Mb on another line whose subscriber is subscribed to 2Mb, i.e. is the speed tied to the account / PPP(oX) session or to the DSLAM port? Might have some bearing on why "it wouldn't make any difference" in my original call.

Anywho, time will tell.

.cg

I don't know what the situation is there, but it would mean that it's got nothing to do with the actual line. Which means it's on their end and is fixable. As long as we can point and sasay "Look, different account, better speeds". Then their "must be your line" excuse doesn't wash.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Devion

Just tried the iso posted on here and it started up and reported the transfer was 399kb/s

then it went down to 260, something is restricting it.

Yeh I tell ya a few things I have noticed...

On the Irish ISP Test, it start off about 2.55 Megabit or so and drops down to an average of 2.1 ish. Just run it now and the quality of service is only 63%, so it's hitting a peak much higher than the average.

If I'm doing a fast download from say HEAnet, and I watch the routers status from a telnet session, now and again it will drop to say 170, 000 bytes, and then the next second it will hit 350, 000+ to "Average it out".

Both of these facts seem to indicate that the line is connected at the full 3 megabit, but something is slowing it down to 2 megabit speeds.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Devion wrote:
    Just tried the iso posted on here and it started up and reported the transfer was 399kb/s

then it went down to 260, something is restricting it.

The speed at the start of a transfer isn't usually accurate due to the browser having already downloaded some of it while you have a save dialog box open.
    You need to let it settle down for at least a minute.

Advertisement