Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star wars galaxies?

Options
  • 04-04-2005 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Anyone on here play it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i gave up, i had a character with a good few masteries and was a jedi and had loads of cash etc, the game just wasnt fun anymore.

pvp was always broken in some way and the quests/instance dungeons they added were either piss easy or insanely hard. and mostly farmed by die hard guilds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

jaggeh wrote:
    i gave up, i had a character with a good few masteries and was a jedi and had loads of cash etc, the game just wasnt fun anymore.

pvp was always broken in some way and the quests/instance dungeons they added were either piss easy or insanely hard. and mostly farmed by die hard guilds.

Pretty much bang on the money. PVP is crap, quests are boring and the dungeons while looking cool are soloable or need 100 people to get through. Jedi is a bore to level up and offers nothing at higher levels to make the chore seem worth it. SWG could of been an awesome game but it was shipped in such a broken state is not gonna last much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Still playing...

well the combat upgrade is in testing now, it aint bad so far some nice changes, alot of changes defence stackers are going to hate....testing is limited to basic profs at the moment...seeing grouping being necessary for dangerous things is a welcome change, naffs will probably become endangered again...

It goes live on the 5th of may....

also new expansion is being pegged for release on the 5th....thats going to be a really messy week....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I play it (on the Farstar-Europe server). Have done since Jan of 2004. I like it. Whilst PvP is a bit broken, the combat balance shoudl redress that. Should also alter how dungeons are approached. Some of them are ludicrously difficult though, such as teh DeathWatch Bunker (hidden group of surviving Mandalorian warriors)

ahh the DWB is one of the nicer challanges left in the game, with some of the best rewards, play mostly on farstar(oct 2003)myself, never really bothered with jedi myself...pilot, as grinds go was pretty good its intereasting how the plots of each type of pilot overlap....

So what faction are ya lemming?

• Advertisement

ahh the DWB is one of the nicer challanges left in the game, with some of the best rewards, play mostly on farstar(oct 2003)myself, never really bothered with jedi myself...pilot, as grinds go was pretty good its intereasting how the plots of each type of pilot overlap....

So what faction are ya lemming?

I never really bothered with jedi either. I'm quite happy to play as a "mere mortal". I'm rebel, and I'm a master weaponsmith

How about yerself?

True, the DWB is insanely difficult, and you really need to do your homework before you venture into it, but it's a lot of fun. It's very much a group experience :)

hehe , rebel aswell, been a master commando over a year now, I still get called a noob yet with 3 krayt flamers theres very few people that can out damage me :)

just finished killing a grand krayt there about 40 min ago, cant see many people soloing one of those...damn things make ancients look like jeuvies(480k ham and 95% resists that dont decay)

Based out of two rivers on talus...nick is Reven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Actually what I liked about it is that it was relatively easy to become Master at anything in a few weeks without killing yourself. It meant that it was easy to feel you could contribute in a group with others, or if you wanted to change to another profession it's no big deal to do so.

I did find it weird that so many Americans (I'm assuming) paid for second accounts so they could buff their own characters.

hehe , rebel aswell, been a master commando over a year now, I still get called a noob yet with 3 krayt flamers theres very few people that can out damage me :)

just finished killing a grand krayt there about 40 min ago, cant see many people soloing one of those...damn things make ancients look like jeuvies(480k ham and 95% resists that dont decay)

Based out of two rivers on talus...nick is Reven

There are Krayt Dragons that are BIGGER than Ancients? :eek:
    I am now scared to ever venture onto Tatooine again!

I'm based out of White Wolf City on Naboo, nick is grifja, guild is the "White Wolves"

Drakar wrote:
    Actually what I liked about it is that it was relatively easy to become Master at anything in a few weeks without killing yourself. It meant that it was easy to feel you could contribute in a group with others, or if you wanted to change to another profession it's no big deal to do so.

Professions that could be macro'd are easy to master quickly. Some professions however, are absolute ball-breakers to do and you really do want to have to reach 'Master' to see them through.

Weaponsmith took me months to do (in fairness I was also figuring out the grind, so had I know what to aim for right away I would have taken far less time to do so), being the second worst non-jedi grind in the game, second only to Droid Engineer. Then there's teh jedi grind which is apparently rather nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

A terrible, broken mess of a game. I'm so glad to have WoW to play instead. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Monty is my stuff still there on Farstar? I might renew it for a month to keep it alive...but I don't know if I could really be arsed tbh. :(

Still looking for a copy of WoW to get into now. I wanna be a dwarf...life immitating art ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

I played it in beta until a week after release, it is without doubt the most broken boring online game i have ever played and I have played them all (this includes AO which is more broken but much more fun to play)

stay well away

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']Monty is my stuff still there on Farstar? I might renew it for a month to keep it alive...but I don't know if I could really be arsed tbh. :(

Still looking for a copy of WoW to get into now. I wanna be a dwarf...life immitating art ;)

I had cancelled my subs to SWG when they announched the combat revamp was getting pushed back to after the JTL launch so around 8 months ago and my characters are still there. I think the whole wiping the data base every 6 months is bull **** on SOE's part and is just a scare tatic used to stop people quitting until the Combat revamp is live.

Icey, bolo and i got most of it, some was redistributed to the rest of the guild, not sure what he got, but you place was pretty cleaned out when i got to it...

Gizzard, theres no chance in hell that its the same game it was back then, hell the games changed alot since venom says he left. Im seeing alot of older players comming back to the game and sticking around, that in itself says something.

and lemming, this is the krayt that we killed just before my last post, Grand Krayts. Real pain in the ass to kill, considering the rat like spawning of krayts lately, grand krayts are very rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I agree with teethy, I've played numerous MMO's and SWG is HORRIBLE, it's so bad that I'll never buy another SOE game again as long as I live so help me god.

Bad gameplay,
    worse PvP,
    endless boring horrible grind,
    sanctioned pointless griefing,
    endless nerfs,
    poor developer interaction,
    horrible customer support.

The list really is endless.

WoW is about 1000000 X better really, and Honor system is live in a week or two which should make it even more intersting, with battle grounds about 1-2 months away. Unlike the Combat upgrade in SWG which took, what 2 years or something stupid since when it was announced?

I remember they nerfed creature hunters LONG ago and said it was to be "balanced in line with the combat upgrade". Months later nothing, and now something like 2 years since then the CU is in testing, meanwhile they still had the developer resources to release JTL expansion and Rage of the Wookies out soon?

SOE are the most greedy and horrible MMO dev's by far. I hate them with a passion thanks to SWG.

It was the same with the Jedi revamp nerfing the hell out of Jedi in relation to a combat revamp that never came :( Hell the revamp was ment to be out before the last 2 expansions and the playerbase is still waiting on it.

While SOE can be a bunch of **** I honestly think its the Lucasarts side of that partnership thats ****ing up SWG. As a huge Star Wars fan I can express how pissed off I am over the botch job that is SWG and at this point I just cant ever see myself playing it again due to how bas a game it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

I still play it and enjoy it with all the people i know, i think its the people i know and are friends with that keep me there at times.

Chiefy (C-hiefy since chief is a blocked nickname) playing on Europe Chimaera server is jedi knight
    Bastila' is 12pt master chef / master Bio engineer
    Shilandra is speedcapped swords and a dabbler combat medic/doctor

Luckily enough chimaera went to test centre and i got to test out my characters first hand at what the CU will bring

( a diary of my cu experience can be found here - http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Chimaera_Euro&message.id=240432 to save me writing all that again :p)

I still enjoy the game, we have crafted a few jetpacks in the dwb, its about tactics really, our 4 man squad of 1jedi, 2 tanks, 1 droid engineer and 1 master artisan made it to the bottom of the bunker to craft the jetpack in just over an hour or 2 (we have done it in 40mins with 5 combat professions). Learning not to gung ho and work as a team together and knowing the little tricks like not looting the coalbins (which will spawn another 3 super battle droids on you) is necessary. I still enjoy my loot hunting although I do it for others sometimes as my bank balance is far from empty, think it was 80 million last I checked. Still running the guild I started and brought over from TFC aswell, weve been running now since May 2004, lots have left and I and a few others seem to be always the ones to stay..

Making your own content with friends is what does it for me i think, the cu will hopefully be nice although by the looks of things they are pushing it forward in its VERY unpolished unfinished state which i just cant beg to reason why exactly... alot of flaws still there from my testing experience and i have no idea why its being pushed forward. I must say other mmo's have never really taken my intrest, I have watched videos of WoW and lvl 60 priests etc and I guess i just wasnt intrested.

Always being an fps player mmo's in general never intrested me till i played kotor and my starwars child inside was reborn, i picked up swg not long afterwards and even to this day I still enjoy myself. Although like anything else I can get bored to but thats when you sit back and watch some tv and relax. CU hasnt impressed most, as is plain to see on the chimaera forums of about half a page of leaving posts, I'm just trying to persevere with it and learn the new system before making any rash decisions.

Good to see a few boardies are still playing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I'd imagine there is a push to get an upgrade in place in time to take advantage of the upcoming Star Wars Mania (tm) with the release of the new film.

Advertisement