Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fave 80's Metal

• 04-04-2005 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Saw this article in 'Revolver' magazine, thought I'd see what turns out on top.
    They have Poison, White Lion, Dokken, Ratt and Cinderella in the category of Hair Metal;
    Faster Pussycat, Skid Row, L.A. Guns, Motley Crue and Guns N' Roses in Sleaze Metal;
    Maiden, Whitesnake, Leppard, Diamond Head and Priest in Euro Metal;
    Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, 'Tallica and Anthrax in Thrash Metal;
    Queensryche, Voivod, King's X, Fates Warning and Morbid Angel in Brain Metal;
    and Danzig, Motorhead, AC/DC, W.A.S.P. and Ozzy in No-Brainer Metal.

I like a few bands from each but if I had to pick a category it'd be Thrash.

Fave 80's Metal Category 68 votes

Hair Metal
    0% 0 votes
    Sleaze Metal
    10% 7 votes
    Euro Metal
    8% 6 votes
    Thrash Metal
    7% 5 votes
    Brain Metal
    67% 46 votes
    No-Brainer Metal
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yes thrash have all the good bands there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Brain Metal? No-Brainer Metal? Euro metal? Sleaze Metal? Who thinks up this nonsense? What have Def Leppard and Judas Priest got in common apart from geographic location? Skid Row sound nothing like Faster Pussycat, and as for Ozzy being no-brainer Metal? His first two solo albums were revolutionary and still sound like nothing else.

Death to lame and lazy journo categorisation. Whichever spastic thought up that article clearly jumped onto the Metal bandwagon sometime within the last 5 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Doctor J wrote:
    Death to lame and lazy journo categorisation. Whichever spastic thought up that article clearly jumped onto the Metal bandwagon sometime within the last 5 years.

too right.
    where is the best band to come out of america at this time?? David Lee Roths Van Halen???

indeed lame journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sugarfix

I just had an argument wit a dude bout Man O War... 'member them?? Does anyone else agree that thay are the GAYEST metal band uv ever seen? Massive pecs and biceps and tiny leather clothing?? :D

Manowar are one of the greatest Metal bands ever. Don't let the questionable image fool you, there are few bands as dedicated to Metal as manowar and few bands have a more skillful collection of musicians either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Doctor J wrote:
    Whichever spastic thought up that article clearly jumped onto the Metal bandwagon sometime within the last 5 years.

Does this mean that anyone who only got into metal in the last 5 years hasn't got a clue or the classifications of the catagories were arse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

dude, learn your metal genres...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

Since when the **** is Motorhead No-Brainer metal? Motorhead ar the daddies of Speed and Thrash Metal! Im shocked and hungry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

iron maiden

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Crappy categories indeed. I'd have to choose Thrash Metal from the list with No Brainer :rolleyes: in 2nd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

"Brain Metal" lol...

Sounds like something straight out of Kerrang :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Christ, I'm tempted to lock this thread on the grounds of it being retarded.

Quoting from 'Revolver' should be a banable offense after this.

Nea wrote:
    Does this mean that anyone who only got into metal in the last 5 years hasn't got a clue or the classifications of the catagories were arse?

This means someone who clearly doesn't know what they're talking about shouldn't be writing articles on the subject they don't know about. The cretin created his/her own genres on the strengths of photographs, I'll wager, without hearing most of the bands involved. It reeks of "Oh guitar music is cool again, that's what I'll be into" and dig up a few back issues of kerrang, look at some pics and make all that nonsense up but without knowing the music of the bands mentioned.

Yes. Seconded. Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Seconded! Again....(should that be thirded..ed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Doctor J wrote:
    Manowar are one of the greatest Metal bands ever. Don't let the questionable image fool you, there are few bands as dedicated to Metal as manowar and few bands have a more skillful collection of musicians either.

I find Manowar songs boring, really flat, plus one cd had a bass solo that was maybe funny for about 20 seconds and then I couldnt listen to it anymore, Nigels solo in Spinal Tap was better musically. I think the CD was something about Troy and Hector and stuff. Desent drummer (apart from the annoying drum solo on said album, no point in playing in 9/16 time or whatever without some groove), respect to the guitarists tho.
    Rant over :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sugarfix wrote:
    I just had an argument wit a dude bout Man O War... 'member them?? Does anyone else agree that thay are the GAYEST metal band uv ever seen? Massive pecs and biceps and tiny leather clothing?? :D

there probably my favourite band,
    but in general they have anything but massive pecs and biceps,
    thats only the cartoon work on there album covers,
    sure they dress like vikings but other than Eric Adams the singer.
    Great band though i wont have ppl bad mouthing them.

eoin5 wrote:
    I find Manowar songs boring, really flat, plus one cd had a bass solo that was maybe funny for about 20 seconds and then I couldnt listen to it anymore, Nigels solo in Spinal Tap was better musically. I think the CD was something about Troy and Hector and stuff. Desent drummer (apart from the annoying drum solo on said album, no point in playing in 9/16 time or whatever without some groove), respect to the guitarists tho.
    Rant over :D

Yes, the Triumph Of Steel, great album. You'll find most of their CD's have a bass solo, in fact I'd view them as a feature, I'd recommend you check out the Kings Of Metal album for him playing Flight Of The Bumblebee on bass, the man is a tremendously skilled bassist. Great band, playing real Metal music. Granted it comes across as cheesy at times but Manowar stuck to what they do when every other Metal band was turning their back on Metal for $$$

Into Glory Ride is my own personal fave, ye just can't fault it :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Battle hyms has a bass version of william tell titled "williams tale"
    its amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

Point taken, just thought it might be of interest, obviously not. Thrash had to come out on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well seeing as there are at least three artists from each category that I really like I`ll have to vote all or nothing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

suit youself, but its not about the artists its the type of metal.

ether wrote:

Well ok I like all the types of metal listed...............ridiculous as they are! ;)

ether wrote:

Well ok I like all the types of metal listed...............ridiculous as they are! ;)

I was trying to point out that I didnt have a preference for any one genre that they seem to have made up due to the artists that they had listed!

**Mental note** Be sure to post the "spell it out for you" version next time :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

was lita ford metal???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

was lita ford metal???

Only the bits you couldn't see. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Motorhead, No-brainer? As far as I can remember, there's not a single other band that managed to fit the word "Parallellogram" into their lyrics...

And I too will have none of this Manowar bashing. Cheesy as their music may sound, they have incredible skill (Mmm, Bumblebee...) and dedication (not many bands sign contracts in their own blood. :) ) Kings Of Metal is a sodding blinder of a tune, and Listening to The Warrior's Prayer run into Blood Of A King (I think, I may have the title confused) has to be heard to be fully appreciated. Glorious stuff. :)

So, in conclusion...

"Grandfather?"
    "Yes?"
    "Who were those four men?"
    "Who were they? THEY WERE THE METAL KINGS!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

I love all those metal bands mentioned in the poll but as for the genres.....wtf?....I have heard so many other types of metal genres,especially from the 80's,but i have to say that i'm not a fan of categorisation of music.... it disgusts me....Euro metal?..Is that a joke?...I mean why categorise bands that have little in common by their respective locations in a poll which clearly lacks an in depth knowledge of metal music:confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Sugarfix wrote:

Accept were 10 times as gay as Man o war, "balls to the wall", Hilarious video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So where does proper metal fit in? ie Queensryche etc?

Mike.

• Advertisement

Can't you read? ;)

Queensryche are Brain Metal... because they... have... brains? :confused:

Advertisement