Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Business Broadband

• 04-04-2005 11:50am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I phoned my accounts managed today to see what the story is regarding speed upgrades.
    - I'm on 1MB/256K for 125e per month (including VAT)

I asked was my account being upgraded to 2MB/256k I wasn't told yes or no but instead I was offered 1MB/256k at 45e per month.

So basically in a round-about way they are giving a speed upgrade, but it seems their presenting it to customer like a lowering of price.

Esat Business is now well worth the money :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

How can you find out if you can get Business DSl on your exchange?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Giblet wrote:
    How can you find out if you can get Business DSl on your exchange?

There used to be a list of enabled exchanges on their site, but I can' seem to find it anymore
    so your best bet is to phone them 1800 924 924

From what I understand they have far more exchanges enabled for Business they Smart have enabled for DSL :)

I know for a fact that both exchanges in Waterford are enabled as is Kilkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Taken from here:

Esat-BT Local Loop Unbunbled exchanges
    These are the exchanges that Esat offer their business ADSL services from
    Arklow, Arklow
    Athlone HPO, Athlone
    Ballina, Ballina
    Ballinasloe, Ballinasloe
    Beggars Bush, Dublin 4
    Churchfield, Cork
    Clonmel, Clonmel
    Cork Central, Cork
    Crown Alley, Dublin 2
    Dolphins Barn, Dublin 12
    Dooradoyle, Limerick
    Drogheda, Drogheda
    Dunlaoghaire, Co. Dublin
    Enniscorthy, Enniscorthy
    Galway, Galway
    Gory, Gorey
    Greystones, Greystones
    Kilkenny, Kilkenny
    Killarney, Killarney
    Mallow, Mallow
    Mervue, Galway
    Mullingar, Mullingar
    Navan, Navan
    North Main, Dublin 2
    Nutley, Dublin 4
    Portlaoise, Portlaoise
    Quaker Road, Cork
    Roslevin, Athlone
    Ship Street, Dublin 2
    Sligo, Sligo
    Summerhill, Dublin 1
    Tallaght, Dublin 24
    Terenure, Dublin 6W
    Thurles, Thurles
    Tralee, Tralee
    Waterford Central, Waterford
    Waterford Tycor, Waterford
    Wexford, Wexford
    Wicklow, Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭oakers

I've just got off the phone with ESAT. I have one of their 512/256 lines and I've been told that the line will be upgraded to 1024/256 but there is a lead time of up to ten working days!

Looks like their base package from now on will be a 1MB line! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Don't even get me started on Esat... I can't believe someone told you on the phone, i've been trying to get a straight answer for weeks and couldn't get one. It took an Email to the CEO of Esat to sort it out...

People on 45 (ex.vat) per month (i.e. 512/256 no cap) will be upgraded to 1mb/256 within the next 10 days.

People who are already on the 1mb/256 connection at 90euro (ex.vat) per month will either be upgraded to 2mb/256 at same price, or keep the same speeds and drop to 45euro per month...

Now, i don't know if anyone else spotted this, but i did, and this was the main reason for me mailing the CEO. right, IOLBB Plus customers (i.e. residential customers) go from 512/256 to 2mb for 39.99 per month. the only way that Esat could justify the speed and price difference is that business users have no CAP and the contention ratio on IOL is 48-1 while on the, for example, Dolphins Barn exchange on a buisness connection it averages out at about 5-1 contention ratio!! oh and a Static IP... (which is the main reason i'm sticking with the business option!)... right so, that's the situation.. and that is fact... straight from the horses mouth...

512 goes to 1mb
    1mb goes to 2mb

Hope this helps, cause it took alot of calls and one very strongly worded email to get this acurate info, and not "well it may be a few weeks and you may get 2mb, or it could be 1mb, but we don't really know" bull-crap!

B-man

Oh, and they are not longer, or from what i was told, offering a 512 package, they stopped that on the 14th march!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

People on 45 (ex.vat) per month (i.e. 512/256 no cap) will be upgraded to 1mb/256 within the next 10 days.

People who are already on the 1mb/256 connection at 90euro (ex.vat) per month will either be upgraded to 2mb/256 at same price, or keep the same speeds and drop to 45euro per month...

Are these prices correct? AFAIK, I've been paying 90 euro ex Vat per month for the last 2.5 years and have been since then on a 512/256 connection....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Now, i don't know if anyone else spotted this, but i did, and this was the main reason for me mailing the CEO. right, IOLBB Plus customers (i.e. residential customers) go from 512/256 to 2mb for 39.99 per month. the only way that Esat could justify the speed and price difference is that business users have no CAP and the contention ratio on IOL is 48-1 while on the, for example, Dolphins Barn exchange on a buisness connection it averages out at about 5-1 contention ratio!! oh and a Static IP... (which is the main reason i'm sticking with the business option!)... right so, that's the situation.. and that is fact... straight from the horses mouth...

Um no.

IOLBB: 512/128 -> 1024/128, 48-1 (no change), 8GB cap (no change, yet)
    IOLBB Plus: 512/128 -> 2048/128, 24-1 (no change), 16GB cap (no change, yet)

So residential are stuck with the pain that is a 128 upload to add to you list. 128 up is a pretty big disadvantage. If there had been an offer of 512/128 -> 1024/256 many would've taken it instead of the 2048/128.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In fairness its a Business package, you get what you pay for!
    - Static IP
    - Low Contention ratio
    - NO CAP!
    - 256k Upload

Anayway.....regarding getting a straight answer from Esat about Business upgrades, I was on to tech last week as I had a line fault and I asked them about speed upgrades and they said they'd properly happen but couldn't give me anything straight.

From what I hear if you have a business account and you want a straight answer you need to phone your accounts manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 JZF

Esat-BT Local Loop Unbunbled exchanges
    These are the exchanges that Esat offer their business ADSL services from
    Arklow, Arklow

Does this mean Esat-BT Business are using their own prequal test, or will they use the Eircom's one ? The reason I am asking is because my line is failing since I cancelled my free trial with Eircom and went to Esat BT. ( Eircom won't test the line again because I am not a customer anymore ! )

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Vuk wrote:
    Are these prices correct? AFAIK, I've been paying 90 euro ex Vat per month for the last 2.5 years and have been since then on a 512/256 connection....

Um... yeah... well... i had this probelm last year... and that's why i contacted the CEO... and i had to re-sign a contract for another year to change down to the lower price for the EXACT SAME service!!

I hope you get this sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

JZF wrote:
    Does this mean Esat-BT Business are using their own prequal test, or will they use the Eircom's one ? The reason I am asking is because my line is failing since I cancelled my free trial with Eircom and went to Esat BT. ( Eircom won't test the line again because I am not a customer anymore ! )

Thanks

Going by what SMART have said about their LLU and their testing, one would assume that they get the data from Eircom and run their own tests on it. This may not be the case as they're still selling ADSL, not ADSL2, but it's possible. If your line had broadband then it should still be able to. Esat/other can get a line test done, I believe.

Advertisement