Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 79 Motorbike?

Options
  • 04-04-2005 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Waiting to cross the road at traffic lights the other day I was greeted by the sight of a 1979(I think) BMW motorbike. It was a stunning machine, it was like a naked sports bike with two exhausts one either side of the rear tire & I think it was a v-twin but I’m not sure.

Dose anyone know what model it could have been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Very unlikely a BMW, they don't really make V-Twins. They use a configuration called a Boxer engine where the pistons are lying horizontally sticking out from the sides of the bike.

Where did you see it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

It was prob an R80,as the R80RT had the full fairings.
    My dad had an 1986 R80RT and it was mint,lovely bike and a lovely sound from that air cooled flat twin boxer engine.

Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Very unlikely a BMW, they don't really make V-Twins. They use a configuration called a Boxer engine where the pistons are lying horizontally sticking out from the sides of the bike.

Where did you see it ??
    Your probably right about the engine I wasn't too sure myself.
    I saw it at the traffic lights at connolly station parallel with talbot st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

dceire wrote:
    Waiting to cross the road at traffic lights the other day I was greeted by the sight of a 1979(I think) BMW motorbike. It was a stunning machine, it was like a naked sports bike with two exhausts one either side of the rear tire & I think it was a v-twin but I’m not sure.

Dose anyone know what model it could have been?

It is unlikely to have been a BMW as any bike they made back then looked like a mattress turned on its side with a wheel at each end and sounded like half a VW Beetle with constipation. Stunning, no. Unless it fell over on you...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Might have been a BMW R90S. Small handlebar fairing? What colour was it? IIRC, they came in orange or 'black'.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭that guy

A 1979 v-twin bmw motorcycle you say...

and it was "stunning" was it?

-You need your eyes tested mate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Philistines.

Advertisement