Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a sponge cake.

Options
  • 04-04-2005 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Its me mum's b-day tomorrow, so I thought I'd make a sponge cake, with cream & jam in the middle. Does anyone know the ingredients, or a web-page that has one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

4 oz butter at room temp
    4 oz caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    a few drops of vanilla essence
    4 oz of self-raising flour sifted
    some hot water (if required)

to finish: Jam & sifted icing sugar

According to Delia.

preheat oven to gas mark 3, 325deg F, 170deg C

2 7inch sponge cake tins at least 1 inch deep, greased & the basses lined with greaseproof paper.

in a mixing bowl cream (mix until creamy) the butter & sugar until u get a pale fluffy mixture that drops off the spoon easily.
    in a seperate bowl beat the eggs, add them a little at a time to beating well after each addition.
    4a beginner she recommends just a teaspoonful at a time with just a little mixing after each.

when eggs have been incorporated stir in a few drops of vanilla essence then take a metal spoon to cut & fold the flour.
    have the flour in a sieve resting on a plate, then lift the sieve high above the bowl & sift about a quarter of the flour onto the mixture.
    then replace the sieve on the plate & lightly & gently fold the flour into the mixture.
    then repeat until all the flour is incorporated.
    liftin the sieve high above the bowl will ensure plenty of air in the mixture.

now that the flour has been added u should have a mixture that will drop off the spoon easily when u tap it on the side of the bowl.
    if the consistency is not right add 1-2 teaspoons of hot water.

now divide the mixture equally between the 2 tins.
    place them on the centre shelf of the oven & they will take about 25-30 mins to cook.
    when they are cooked the centres will feel springy when lightly touched with a little finger tip & no imprint remains.

when u are satisfied that they are cooked, remove them from the oven & after about 1 min turn them out onto a wire cooling tray, loosening them around the edges with a palette knife 1st.
    then carefully peel off the base papers & leave the cakes to cool completely before sandwiching them together with jam (& cream if you want) & sift a little icing sugar on top.

hope it works!
    you're such a good child to your mother!
    my mum gets vouchers bought by my dad from me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Mmmm........ cake! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jambr

I am cooking this cake now.. Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grasshopper1

4 oz butter at room temp
    4 oz caster sugar
    2 large eggs
    a few drops of vanilla essence
    4 oz of self-raising flour sifted
    some hot water (if required)

to finish: Jam & sifted icing sugar

According to Delia.

preheat oven to gas mark 3, 325deg F, 170deg C

2 7inch sponge cake tins at least 1 inch deep, greased & the basses lined with greaseproof paper.

in a mixing bowl cream (mix until creamy) the butter & sugar until u get a pale fluffy mixture that drops off the spoon easily.
    in a seperate bowl beat the eggs, add them a little at a time to beating well after each addition.
    4a beginner she recommends just a teaspoonful at a time with just a little mixing after each.

when eggs have been incorporated stir in a few drops of vanilla essence then take a metal spoon to cut & fold the flour.
    have the flour in a sieve resting on a plate, then lift the sieve high above the bowl & sift about a quarter of the flour onto the mixture.
    then replace the sieve on the plate & lightly & gently fold the flour into the mixture.
    then repeat until all the flour is incorporated.
    liftin the sieve high above the bowl will ensure plenty of air in the mixture.

now that the flour has been added u should have a mixture that will drop off the spoon easily when u tap it on the side of the bowl.
    if the consistency is not right add 1-2 teaspoons of hot water.

now divide the mixture equally between the 2 tins.
    place them on the centre shelf of the oven & they will take about 25-30 mins to cook.
    when they are cooked the centres will feel springy when lightly touched with a little finger tip & no imprint remains.

when u are satisfied that they are cooked, remove them from the oven & after about 1 min turn them out onto a wire cooling tray, loosening them around the edges with a palette knife 1st.
    then carefully peel off the base papers & leave the cakes to cool completely before sandwiching them together with jam (& cream if you want) & sift a little icing sugar on top
    hope it works!
    you're such a good child to your mother!
    my mum gets vouchers bought by my dad from me!!!

Thanks so much for the recipe it came at just the right time. I baked it this morning as it's a friend's birthday. I just used one tin, as I thought the amount was just enough for one tin. I think I should have made 2 lots, What do you think?

Thanks once again for the recipe.

grasshopper2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thanks so much for the recipe it came at just the right time. I baked it this morning as it's a friend's birthday. I just used one tin, as I thought the amount was just enough for one tin. I think I should have made 2 lots, What do you think?

Thanks once again for the recipe.

grasshopper2

Either way is fine.

The advantage of 2 tins is that you can easily put filling in the middle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grasshopper1

huskerdu wrote: »
    Either way is fine.

The advantage of 2 tins is that you can easily put filling in the middle.

Thanks, I'll put some strawberries and cream on it.

Cheers, grasshopper1

Advertisement