Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is UTV any better than it used to be?

• 04-04-2005 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭

Asking for a friend... Is the UTV service any more reliable/stable/value for money than it used to be?

Last time I checked about a year ago, it was said to be utter poo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I've not particular problems with the service as such (though I'm not a heavy users and thus may not notice such problems if they exist). However their customer care is really utter poo. I've sent them two emails in the last couple of months, and NEITHER got any reply. If they're going to ignore me, I wonder how they'd feel if my credit card company started ignoring their requests for payment. My contract's up at the end of the month, so I'm seriously considering switching to another provider.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well I guess you could say I fall into the catagorie of a " heavy user " and I aint happy with the service at all. And others, such as dub45, will agree with most of what I say about there service..

1) There considering throttling speeds back to 512kb/s - suggested by a support rep on the newsgroup.

2) No offical/public annoucment has been made on new packages etc.

3) Support is terrible, both on the phone and email. Ignorant staff at times too.

4) Service quality is poor (many connection problems).

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

WUT, why would they throttle us back down to 512kb whats this non sense
    they throttle me down im going to iol bb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

I've been with UTV for a couple of years, never had a problem and it's on all day during the week.

Only slight problem I've had is having to wait a while before getting through to accounts or admin dept but once I get through they have always helped me out.

I'd recommend them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

I would not recommend them...rant thread
    I had to go to Comreg to get them to answer my simple query of "when is my modem getting here?"

...and to quote UTV customer service (the technical support supervisior)
    "There seems to have been some error in processing your order, the line did go Broadband active on the 16th Feb unfortunately it was never put live on our system hence you did not receive a modem. I apologise for this which we accept was an error on our part. This issue with your support tickets not being answered is being addressed at the moment as we hiring more staff to cope with the unexpected rise in customer numbers, again accept my apologies for this."

All UTV ever say is "dont have enough staff".... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

UTV are the ONLY company to charge for going over the cap. They have been stringent in enforcing it over the past few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Sully04 wrote:
    1) There considering throttling speeds back to 512kb/s - suggested by a support rep on the newsgroup.

No, they're not. Stop bending the truth.

plazzTT thats normal
    they say 16gig cap, they have a system if you go over and its strictly normal if they do make you pay if you have choosen one of the options.

Why would they not make you pay because you go over the cap.
    Thats just Esat BT that chooses to do so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Eircom don't make you pay for going over the cap either.

And all the other options out there have very liberal caps/no caps.

So UTV is the worst in this regard. We won't be renewing our contract in our household when it expires.

yes but, when you go over with Esat and Eircom your taking a risk no? a cap is there for a reason, either you have one and they try and emphasise on it so your reasonable in your downloads or you don't have one and you can download with your own free will
    Those 2 companys might just put it to "scare you" so you don't go over, but know that when people do its only a couple of gigs, still your taking a risk
    rather stay in the 16 gig cap then go over and get a letter saying i have to pay 150euros.

Like to make things clear too, is UTV going to down grade or not, or was the other poster saying nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Like to make things clear too, is UTV going to down grade or not, or was the other poster saying nonsense

I think the other poster should substitute an "i" for the "u" in his username :)

Valentia wrote:
    I think the other poster should substitute an "i" for the "u" in his username :)

yes mabey but who says hes wrong though?

No, UTV have just announced their new "offerings": http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241950

Luckily they haven't decided to throttle back to 512kb/s.

Those damn caps are remaining the same though. That makes UTV worst in the market now. (IOL are the second worst, by virtue that they don't stringently impose their caps like UTV).

Stark wrote:
    No, UTV have just announced their new "offerings": http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241950

Luckily they haven't decided to throttle back to 512kb/s, though they are throttling back to 1Mbit/s on the basic offering.

Those damn caps are remaining the same though. That makes UTV worst in the market now. (IOL are the second worst, by virtue that they don't stringently impose their caps like UTV).
    i didn't underdstand what you meant by this: "though they are throttling back to 1Mbit/s"

Also, in the newsgroup he says 30 and 40 euros. So the price went down by 5? for clicksilver plus?

Woops, sorry my mistake, they're not throttling. I thought Eircom were increasing the new broadband rate to 2Mbit/s all round.

The €40 price quoted in the newsgroup was a mistake. The price for Clicksilver Plus is still €45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I've had clicksilver for a year and a half and I am happy enough with it, I download the odd torrent and mostly just surf the net. Online Poker is the extent my gaming activity and I have had no problems with their service. The cap may be an issue with their new speeds but it is it no worse than any other service currently available to me at the moment in the price range I am prepared to pay for Broadband.

I have set up Eircoms service on a friends computer and my inital impression was that it was quicker than clicksilver , I didn't do any tests it was just the opinion I formed from surfing for 10 minutes or so. Whether thats worth the extra money depends what you intend to do with the connection .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Moriarty wrote:

As it transpires they haven't. However Carl did state in the support group last week that it was possible for an isp to do this. He stated it at a time when UTV customers were pleading for news of UTV's intentions regarding the new products and the remark in the absence of any positive news from UTV as to their intentions certainly left more than Sully with the view that the opton was being considered by UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

dub45 wrote:
    As it transpires they haven't. However Carl did state in the support group last week that it was possible for an isp to do this. He stated it at a time when UTV customers were pleading for news of UTV's intentions regarding the new products and the remark in the absence of any positive news from UTV as to their intentions certainly left more than Sully with the view that the opton was being considered by UTV.

Carl said it was possible, when somone had previously asked whether it was or not. He never said UTV were thinking about actually doing it.

Only morons and people with too much time on their hands thought they were going to. Not looking at anyone in particular, dub45.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Moriarty wrote:
    Carl said it was possible, when somone had previously asked whether it was or not. He never said UTV were thinking about actually doing it.

Only morons and people with too much time on their hands thought they were going to. Not looking at anyone in particular, dub45.

Actually it wasn't asked in the thred in question Carl took it on himself to refer to the possiblity so he was the one who raised it,

>Are we being upgraded to the new speeds that eircom are offering? dont just
    >ignore us tell us what is going on.Eircom are doubling caps are you going to
    >continue to lie on ur website and say ur offering double Eircoms caps when
    >at the moment ur offering the same. Answer Us

Technically everyone will be upgraded to the new speeds. Whether this
    stay in place when the new products roll out, I do not know [Before
    anyone begins to comment on how Eircom will not be releasing lower
    speed options, pls consider QoS - it's what ISP's have been using for
    years to resell bandwidth, and it's easily done on BB). As for the
    caps - again technically there's any number of options, but it'll be
    down to the product development team to make the decision.

Carl.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moriarty wrote:

In farines, carl did hint at that suggestion on the newsgroup.

• Advertisement

Moriarty wrote:

Only noticed this now. You gave out to me for reffering to someone as a newb (when I meant no harm by it or suggest anything - I was welcoming him as he was a newbie.) and you banned someone for calling ppl here nerds and YOU of all people call people, who follow the threads on a UTV Newsgroup which CLEARLY looked like UTV where considering throttling back speeds to present customers (it looked like it - and thats the impression a LOT of people got and im sure there not all morons), morons?

Have some sort of respect, dont call us morons and then ban others who call people nerds etc etc. Geez.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I believe that Carl's comment (and the groups reaction to it) need to be looked at in the context of what was going on (or not going on) at the time. UTV were being asked for info on what was going to happen after the speed-change. Other ISPs had trotted out their new offerings or advertised that they were upgrading users. UTV were keeping stumm until finally Carl mentioned that he didn't know if the speeds were going to remain.

This was the only comment about the future plans of UTV and naturally it was seized on as being - at least - an indication of UTVs thinking on the matter.

To call people morons for coming to that conclusion is - in my humble opinion - un-necessarily confrontational and offensive. I would expect that Boards users wouldn't feel the need to use perjorative terms about other posters.

parsi wrote:
    I believe that Carl's comment (and the groups reaction to it) need to be looked at in the context of what was going on (or not going on) at the time. UTV were being asked for info on what was going to happen after the speed-change. Other ISPs had trotted out their new offerings or advertised that they were upgrading users. UTV were keeping stumm until finally Carl mentioned that he didn't know if the speeds were going to remain.

This was the only comment about the future plans of UTV and naturally it was seized on as being - at least - an indication of UTVs thinking on the matter.

To call people morons for coming to that conclusion is - in my humble opinion - un-necessarily confrontational and offensive. I would expect that Boards users wouldn't feel the need to use perjorative terms about other posters.

Well to suggest such a thing, at such a time, would make you wonder. Carl wouldnt start yapping about throttling back speeds if it was being discussed surely? But thats a matter of opinion I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭xonencentral

I have UTV for over a year at work and at home, works faster than our eircom braodband neighbors and its on all day instead of a leased eircom line and it is so cheap and to date has worked every day without fail.

For €29.99, its hard to beat and although the customer services can be slow, no one could really deny that eircoms' customer services should be in the guiness book of records as the best "crappiest customer services in the world", last time I talked to them, the guy hung up after he used several cuss words and basically told me why should he have solve somebody else cock-up (other eircom employees cock-up).

UTV gets my support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

I have UTV for over a year at work and at home, works faster than our eircom braodband neighbors and its on all day instead of a leased eircom line and it is so cheap and to date has worked every day without fail.

For €29.99, its hard to beat and although the customer services can be slow, no one could really deny that eircoms' customer services should be in the guiness book of records as the best "crappiest customer services in the world", last time I talked to them, the guy hung up after he used several cuss words and basically told me why should he have solve somebody else cock-up (other eircom employees cock-up).

UTV gets my support.

You do realise that if a rep curses at you he/she can be sacked very easily as the conversation is more than likely being recorded.

Why would they then risk their job if they can just bite their tongue?!?!?!?!

Advertisement