Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looks VS Personality

• 04-04-2005 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

This is something that interests me greatly.

How does this issue affect other people? I know few are actually shallow enough to say looks mean everything, but how does the ratio have to fare for most people?

For me personally unless she is unbearably/particularly ugly, then all is cool. Nothing gets me more then a great personality. That said, peoples perceptions of what "unbearably ugly", "good looking" and "pretty" is varies greatly. My standards are not high. For me, personality means just about everything.

I DO like good looking girls but what I am trying to say is that I dont particularly take that into account.

How does it balance out for other people? How do Looks and personality have to face off for it to be acceptable to you?

BTW - I'm no Tom Cruise myself :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Personality, personality, personality. What is inside is what counts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Lol, you all say that til you dump some girl with a great personallity to be with some hot chick given half a chance.

Personally, I need there to be an attraction. What I am attracted to varies. But of course personality is a big factor as well! You are going out with more than someones face/ass/tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Looks initially, I dont look at girls and say "oooh, she might have a great personality".. You see a nice face, nice bod and say "hmm, I like the look of her", I think that applies for the majority of men...
    If anything develops into a relationship, thats where the personality comes into play, I mean I don't care if the girl is a stunner, if she's got a crap personality then you gotta say goodbye, of course you should bang her one last time though, for old times sakes ;) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Personality, personality, personality. What is inside is what counts.

Yes, but would you go out with an overweight woman who was particularly and noticably ugly?

What im trying to see is how low people go on the looks side of things if the personality is great.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I'm a big fan of personality. If a guy can make me laugh it doesn't matter to me if he looks like the back of a bus. There's nothing worse than someone who has nothing to say no matter how good looking they are. :)

I've also found that the more you're with someone the better looking they become to you in your eyes (beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Im not saying a girl has to be a right stunner, but just reasonable good looking (I mean average) and not fat (a little is bearable but not too much). Then the rest is personality all the way, with lots of intelligence and sense of humour.
    how does the ratio have to fare for most people?
    As for the ratio of looks to personality id say 30-40% / 60-70%

I've also found that the more you're with someone the better looking they become to you in your eyes

Well said, alway true. But I suppose there has to be that initial attraction in the first place for you to take interest in them...speaking generally of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Yeah personality is important as long as they arent ugly. If they are ugly then in the words of Joey "its a moo point"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have high standards, but I'm no Tom Cruise. Saying that, the chicks I like, most of my friends wouldn't touch, so I say "beauty in the eye of the beholder".

As for personality, I like them a bit mad, and that they like living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i'd say im slightly more shalloow than most. i'd defo try for the best lookin girl i can afford. personality is wat makes it last. u can go on looks for a while but then u need more to sustain it. though i hav a mate who is wit a girl who only has a nice body. no personality, face isnt great. no tits either but they've lasted over a year now. apparently she can suck a golfball through a garden hose though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

The_B_Man wrote:
    i'd say im slightly more shalloow than most. i'd defo try for the best lookin girl i can afford. personality is wat makes it last. u can go on looks for a while but then u need more to sustain it. though i hav a mate who is wit a girl who only has a nice body. no personality, face isnt great. no tits either but they've lasted over a year now. apparently she can suck a golfball through a garden hose though!

Well put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I'll third that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

you cant fcuk personality!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

If it were all about personality, you'd see Lions sleeping with zebra. I'm sure you're bound to find a nice zebra - they can't all be assholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A bad personality can put me off a completely gorgeous looking girl.
    A great personality can't make me fancy an unattractive girl.

You need both. I'm not saying a girl has to be model material, she just has to be attractive to me. Given that every girl I've ever gone out with has looked completely different from the others I don't even know what I'd define that as. Even if she looked like Natalie Portman though, a bad personality would keep me away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

erm... both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

LOL The_B_Man

I dunno, as for looks alot of my mates will say stuff like "she hasnt the best face but she has a savage body". For me, generally that aint an attraction. I look at face, hair, eyes before i look at body, generally speaking. And face it, you have never seen a bird with a gorgeous face and 20 stone below her neck have you?

Obviously enough, i prefer the combination of good looks and soundness, unless you arent gonna see them after tonight, then personality doesnt matter in the slightest (*Gopher wishes to point out at this stage he is a muthafcukin P.I.M.P*)
    Personality over looks rules alot more with women than lads. Alot of birds will go out with a guy who looks like an arse if he gives them a good laugh (only a car is more of an attraction than personality imo, god i wish i had one)
    I'm a big fan of personality. If a guy can make me laugh it doesn't matter to me if he looks like the back of a bus.

Marry me, Im real funny but rough as sandpaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I think that it is better to have a friendship before you start dating - therefore all the guys that I have dated were good looking to me by the combination of their personality, looks and voice. Looks do not matter at the end of the day - I have dated gorgeous looking guys but they had the personality, wit and inteligence to match, I have also dated guys that were considered to be less attractive but again they had personality, wit and intelligence - all the guys that I dated were gorgeous to me. The one thing that I will admit to finding a turn on is a deep husky voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I met a girl once who apparently told me I'm the most shallow person she ever met. She said I was on a whole different plane of shallowness and that on some level I was so shallow that there most be something psychologically profound about me, that I was actually bordering on deepness.

I didn't actually hear her say any of this cos I was too busy staring at her breasts...

Thanks you Ed Byrne

That aside, I think you need both, although I've met girls who I haven't been attracted to and have gotten to know well, and cared about who I suddenly found attractive.

I think if you like someone as a person, its harder to see perceived faults in them and you tend to only focus on the good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Hrms..

Neither can do it on it's own... although it's possible for about 20% looks 80% personality for me.. fallen flat on my face for women who aren't really that good looking but have freakin' amazing personalities. The funny thing is though if you like them enough your brain starts to see them as being the most attractive thing on legs, no matter how they look. Then again I can fall the other way too..... 80% looks 20% personality...

Outside of that though I don't think so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

looks is good for a bit of fun, roll in the hay & showing off to the mates. Personality lasts a lifetime. looks & personality is a bonus however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've met many... many guys heh

I have to say as first impression go, I'm a shallow ****, if i'm not attracted to the guy I don't give him the time of day *unless* he is so incredibly nice, but he'd have to do / be, something very special for me to get past looks.
    A couple have ;)

In the long term personality, but as for trying to score, looks looks looks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I'm a big fan of personality. If a guy can make me laugh it doesn't matter to me if he looks like the back of a bus. There's nothing worse than someone who has nothing to say no matter how good looking they are. :)

I've also found that the more you're with someone the better looking they become to you in your eyes (beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that). :)

Why aren't there more girls like you in the world? ;) *sigh*

Might mean us poor, unfortunate ugly bastards might have a chance then! :D

azezil wrote:
    I've met many... many guys heh

I have to say as first impression go, I'm a shallow ****, if i'm not attracted to the guy I don't give him the time of day *unless* he is so incredibly nice, but he'd have to do / be, something very special for me to get past looks.
    A couple have ;)

In the long term personality, but as for trying to score, looks looks looks!

Wow, you must be a cracker....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Just thinking, I've met guys because I thought they'd nice personalities... and stopped talking to them afterwards cause they're mingers lol! :D
    Wow, you must be a cracker....
    well i'm not going to settle for second best, why should I!?

azezil wrote:
    Just thinking, I've met guys because I thought they'd nice personalities... and stopped talking to them afterwards cause they're mingers lol! :D

Bah, just figured out your a bloke....

Personality goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

You can become very attracted to someone even if you don't like the look of them at first.
    It's like a song - you could hate it at first and then grow to love it. Except you don't want to stick your willy in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

one compensates for the other, if a bird is legend of the dog faced woman, but is the coolest babe ever, she'll make up for muck faced visage. likewise if a hotty is dumb as a post and screeches annoying crap at every oppertunity, her hotness'll pull her through. in general though people tend not to drift towards these extremes. usually average out over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

It's a bit of both of course.
    But I do find the sounder someone is the better the looking they start to get, and of course the more of an bitch someone is the worse they start to appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Keyzer wrote:
    Bah, just figured out your a bloke....

lmfao

If a guy sees a beautiful woman he's instantly interested, and if she turns out to be a nice person that's great, but honestly the absolute first thing every guy notices is how a woman looks.

However at this point I should ....point out....there's a phenomenal amount to be revealed insomeone's personality by the way they look. I've met women who, all other things being equal, wouldn't be the absolute most beautiful women on the planet, but beause of the their personality they carry themselves, and present themselves in a way that makes them so much more attractive than even the most physically appealing of people.

So I guess in summary, guys always respond to booty, but a confident woman can override our Booty-radar and snag us easy by just impressing us with her lack of muppetry....however since that is so often an endemic genetic character of most people.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Case in point: Jessica Simpson

You'd fúck her but only for bragging rights/the story to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Sleepy wrote:
    You'd fúck her but only for bragging rights/the story to sell.
    Damn Yeah, and blond jokes would take on a new meaning forever more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

azezil wrote:

Damn... um... straight! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wilkins

When you mention looks, I always just think of the face. I think you get the face you deserve and your personality shines through. Really. Maybe it's just a sixth sense or something, but often I would be told by someone 'oh David Beckham is a ride' for example, but I think he looks thick and vain and a bit of a red red wreck-the-head, therfore he is unattractive.

I think that Ricky Gervais is attractive because he looks like good craic and he's funny before he opens his mouth. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

wilkins wrote:
    I think that Ricky Gervais is attractive because he looks like good craic and he's funny before he opens his mouth. ;)
    ....we're not talking "ha ha" funny though are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They are both equally important!

I wouldn't go out with an attractive woman who had a bad personality just as I wouldn't go out with an unattractive woman with a great personality.

But if you don't fall into the above category then don't fret! On the plus side ugly women with good personality make great friends and beautiful women with bad personalities make great prostitutes.

As for ugly women with bad personalities? Hmm I guess future leader of the PD's is the only route for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it happens that i am not attracted to some1,get to know them and think they are gorgeous.

personality counts.

there are not that many people that are too unattractive to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I think both matter alot. Personality more though. It's about 3:2 in favour of personality. Looks do matter, even in the long term, but having said that, good personality can override questionable looks but good looks can't override bad personality, for me anyway.

At the drop of a hat I'd go for a good looking girl. That would be if I knew none of them. But, as has been said, good looks are subjective. For instance, I've mentioned before that I think Audrey Tautou is possibly the hottest woman in the world but I know that many would say she only has above average looks.

P.S. I'm sure I saw Caprice on Grafton St. on Sunday. HOTNESS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Looks are only important for when you're walking down the street and you want others to notice.

I like attractive women, for me attractiveness is on many levels, a hint of a smile, intelligence and humour in her eyes, the ability to hold a conversation and speak her mind.

Looks will make you introduce yourself, personality will get you to ask for her number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, i wouldnt go out with anyone who wasnt good looking, and didnt have a personality.

maybe im just more choosey :)

Looks do play a large part of it but it has to be said, sexiness isn't necessarily a physical thing. I've known drop dead gorgeous girls that I wouldn't consider sexy at all and girls that aren't quite as aesthetically attractive but I'd find them incredibly sexy because of their personality.

Looks do play a large part of it but it has to be said, sexiness isn't necessarily a physical thing. I've known drop dead gorgeous girls that I wouldn't consider sexy at all and girls that aren't quite as aesthetically attractive but I'd find them incredibly sexy because of their personality.

I think generally people need an initial attraction, but that personality is what matters most once you accept them as....well....acceptable!

Is it very true though, that they get better looking as you get more and more of their personality....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

personality more than looks for relationship, but for scoring then all bets are off

/me wonders where beer goggles fit in to all this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Crania

I go for personality even if she is ugly

But it helps if she is good-looking

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wilkins

....we're not talking "ha ha" funny though are we?

Absolutemont!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Confidence is really important, probably much more important than someone being nice. And looks *generally* breed confidence.

Hard to say. Wouldn't go out with someone i wasn't attracted too I suppose. Once they're not overweight it's usually easy enough to be attracted though.
    wilkins wrote:
    Maybe it's just a sixth sense or something, but often I would be told by someone 'oh David Beckham is a ride' for example, but I think he looks thick and vain and a bit of a red red wreck-the-head, therfore he is unattractive.

Was gonna make this point, (not about ricky and dave hehe), Jessica Simpson; horrendously pretty but I just wouldn't fancy her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

I don't think I could be a with a woman who is "ugly". Now before I get flamed out of it I'm talking about nastiness, absolute lack of personal grooming or general deformaties... Like teeth for instance, I dont mind a snaggletooth, but huge gaps and yellowing.... no way... skin, acne is fine, so long as I'm not staring at a giant bulbous boil instead of your eyes. As for size, 14 is my upper limit, after that I think it can look unhealthy, and I'm not attracted....

If you pass that criteria, then it's all personality baby.

• Advertisement
Advertisement