Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OO.o2 uses Java

Options
  • 04-04-2005 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

http://software.newsforge.com/software/05/03/22/204244.shtml?tid=93

Interesting and well written article about this. Not to sure where I stand myself on it. It does mean that OO is no longer completely Open Source but functionality it more important to me. I use OO1 because it does everything I want it to do so why spend money on MSOffice. On the other hand I have some proprietary software on my box because I haven't found a free alternative (yet).

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They need Java for the available dB at present
    Open source Java status http://gcc.gnu.org/java/status.html

So if another dB was available OR there is an open source java in future , or if SUN changes license then it's all open source again.

Would have to agree that functionality is important, but I don't see it as a lock in as there are several routes to getting it to pure open source again so it should be an acceptable temporary comprimise.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So did OO.o 1.x. Its not *required* (I'm using OO.o 1.x on PPC Linux, without the halfarsed Sun Java 1.3 that Blackdown ported). Also, with GCC4, GCJ and GNU Classpath are able to support a *lot* more of OO.o's features, and OO.o 2.0 respects this and lets you use some more gubbins.

The media playback, etc, still really needs a Sun JVM though. And Sun may still OSS their own JVM...

Advertisement