Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is USING Smarts BB package?

• 04-04-2005 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭

Mods, sorry if this has been posted before.

Hi,
    Just wondering; who is actually using Smarts BB package? After seeing many threads about it, I haven't talked to anyone actually using it. Just wondering; is it any good?

Also, Garfield, or whatever the dude is called, I don't want your opnion. Just customers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I hope to be within the next 10 days with luck. The modem (4 port) just arrived today.

Link to modem specs. Seems to come with a firewall. Good move on smarts part there.

http://en.huawei-3com.com/servlet/com.huawei3com.aolynk.product.servlet.IntroduceProduct?value=0&resource=/files/en/aolynk/product/XDSL/DR814/DR814v1.1.htm&ProductCategory=XDSL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

interesting what it will be like

I hope in some time they will up their uploads and start offering their services in other many areas, and choke eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

You lucky bsstard machalla,

Cant wait to see what type of connection speeds you get and thats a nice ADSL2+ Router/Firewall!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hookrkrook

Which exchange are you in Machalla?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I'm not counting any chickens yet folks. My phone line still fails Eircons BB test and now it fails Netsources one too (despite it showing it passed the last 2 weeks!!). If it works I might not get full speed out of it.

Hopefully it will all come good though. Theres still the fun and games with changing phone number and waiting to see if any other problems arise.

I'll let ye know how it goes anyway.

I'm on Dolphins Barn exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I dunno will you be able to test us, afaik some people were asking to test it on the dolphins barn exchange and they are very quiet these days.

Some sort of an NDA i presume. But I could be wrong.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

machalla wrote:
    I'm not counting any chickens yet folks. My phone line still fails Eircons BB test and now it fails Netsources one too (despite it showing it passed the last 2 weeks!!). If it works I might not get full speed out of it.

Netsource just use a list provided by Eircom so don't let that bother you.

ADSL2, as has been said before, has a larger range than vanilla ADSL. If they sent you a modem then they have done the test of the data, of Eircom's, and your line has passed. Good luck and hopefully all will be well.

As for NDAs. I don't think they mentioned any such thing. Testing is not going on on that exchange (from anything I've read). They've said it was live. They do testing before announcing that an exchange is live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Narcom

Got a call on Friday arranging for delivery of my router/modem and telling me that it will take another 10 days or so. I received my modem to work today too. They also lost my Direct Debit instruction and have asked me to resubmit it which suggests that their backoffice is having trouble processing applications.

I'm on Dolphin's Barn exchange so, barring the line test we could have some updates/feedback in the next fortnight. Will post any stats if I get connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Whats this ADSL2 business about, I thought smart were offering 2Mb/128Kb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Smart uses ADSL 2. It basically has a slightly longer range and makes it easier to deliver higher speeds. It also means you have to use an ADSL 2 modem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement