Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever been contacted about high daily usage on NTL?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

kin9pin wrote:
    Now if they just match the cap to the new upload speed we'd be laughing

4 : 1 = 1000/250/250GB
    4 : 1 = 2000/500/500GB
    6 : 1 = 3000/500/UNLIMITED

:rolleyes:

Not in this lifetime! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you're taking the p*ss with your excessive multimedia downloading, any ISP is fully entitled to cut you down, or traffic shape you or whatever.

As advised in another thread, if what you're looking for is unlimited traffic without having to worry about anyone else, there are plenty of leased line options out there :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

or you could move to a developed country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Why do people always think you should get a leased line if you want to have no limit, its like saying i want a new silver car, and them saying well you'll have to get the €100,000 sports car, cause the only other one we have is a brown estate for €3,000

lol, its the same damn thing as this stupid notion that you are 'required' to upgrade to a leased line if you dont want a transfer limit, which is utter tripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

JNive wrote:
    Why do people always think you should get a leased line if you want to have no limit, its like saying i want a new silver car, and them saying well you'll have to get the €100,000 sports car, cause the only other one we have is a brown estate for €3,000

lol, its the same damn thing as this stupid notion that you are 'required' to upgrade to a leased line if you dont want a transfer limit, which is utter tripe

Agreed, it is utter tripe, but the fact is if you're downloading 2/3 gigs a night, thats a hell of a lot of data, in any mans book. The P2P game is great and all, but with people setting their machines to download (e.g.) 3 or 4 feature length movies a night, there's a bit of pi*staking involved! Why would you want to download that much ****? If you can only watch a movie a night, how are you going to find the time to watch/listen/play with all that stuff.

I'm the firrst person to agree the internet is one of the greatest inventions ever, along with the wheel etc....but it took mankind thousands of years to invent an air-filled rubber tyre to attacht to it!! Sh*t doesnt happen overnight in any utility infrastructure, and there are always people who want to be able to download fu*kloads of data everyday. It's like motorists wanting to drive everywhere at 120m.p.h., you may be able to do it and handle it, but it's not always in everybody's else interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 cykedout

Just got a letter today, so thought I'd check the forums here for anyone else getting letters. This is the only real thread I found and seems to have petered out about 6 months ago. What's the situation now with most people. I'm on the top rate at NTL (€45 per month) but I have been downloading alot of stuff. Anyone know what they might do, if I persist, etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭MrVestek

cykedout wrote:
    Just got a letter today, so thought I'd check the forums here for anyone else getting letters. This is the only real thread I found and seems to have petered out about 6 months ago. What's the situation now with most people. I'm on the top rate at NTL (€45 per month) but I have been downloading alot of stuff. Anyone know what they might do, if I persist, etc.?
    They will hunt you down and probably kill you. No seriously.

*tired of people bringing up dead threads*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Found This On UK Forums**

ntl to downgrade heavy broadband users

# 11. October 2005 by Mick

Cable Forum has received confirmation today that ntl are going to downgrade persistent heavy broadband customers later this month, to a unlimited 512K service. ntl in August this year stated to us that they had started to write to their small percentage of customers who exceed their fair usage limit excessively and strongly advised them to curb their usage.

An ntl statement states:-

“Further to our note in August about our fair usage policy, just to confirm the vast majority of customers who received the letter changed their online usage. This week we are writing to thank them for their response and to confirm that the move to 10Mb remains on track. 3Mb customers will be upgraded later this year, 1Mb and 2Mb customers in 2006.

Unfortunately a small number of users haven’t changed their usage – some have consistently topped 500GB per month. This is a severe abuse of our published fair usage policy and has the potential to impact on other customers locally. Therefore we are also writing to this group to confirm that we will take action as outlined in the previous letter.

More usage, less speed:

Later this month we will transfer them to a new service. We understand that usage is important to them so their new service will provide unlimited Internet usage at download speeds of up to 512Kbps. The price will be £17.99 per month and we will change the amount charged automatically.

Usage guidelines allow us to provide higher speeds and other services. In 2006 we will offer even more Broadband choice, including a full range of services with unlimited usage allowances.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

NTL 3 meg service has a download limit of 40 gig but also they want you to stick to 1 gig a day at most. You do the math.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just to point out that NTL:Ireland is now a completely different company to NTL:UK.

NTL:Ireland is owned by the Liberty Group and will soon be renamed UPC Ireland. So you can't draw conclusions from anything happening in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

cykedout wrote:

Recommend a doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Dunno how some ppl can use 500GB of data unless theyre ona 24/7 P2P frenzy :rolleyes:

got another one of these letters last week. i'm always conscious of the guideline and try not to go over it, but there's no way of telling how much bandwidth is being used!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

carrotcake wrote:
    got another one of these letters last week. i'm always conscious of the guideline and try not to go over it, but there's no way of telling how much bandwidth is being used!

yes there is get a bandwidth monitor dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Drapper wrote:
    yes there is get a bandwidth monitor dude!

That's no good if you have more than one connection. And by connection, I don't just mean computer. In my case, it could be a VoIP phone, web camera , etc.

However, I reckon that if an ISP imposses a CAP, then they should provide their own traffic stats to their users.

exactly. i'm on a network with a lot of internal traffic flying around, so bandwidth monitors are useless to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Infini wrote:
    Dunno how some ppl can use 500GB of data unless theyre ona 24/7 P2P frenzy :rolleyes:

You would be amazed :) "Download 'theworld*.*' "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

carrotcake wrote:

plus more utilities

http://www.e-systems.ro/bandwidth_monitor.htm
    (from the site)
    Important note:

Please note that this program does NOT measure the total bandwidth capabilities provided to you by the ISP (internet service provider), and it should never be used for such professional grade network speed measurement and comparison purposes. You are not allowed to use the speed values reported by this program as a professional reference measurement, in order to to confront with your ISP; it is beyond the scope of this program to be used in such manner. This program is a rather simple freeware tool, intended for personal usage and not as 100% accurate measurement, offering approximate, statistical values of the current download/upload speeds, as provided to it by the operating system itself. Measured speeds can be significantly different when compared with total bandwidth offered by your ISP, as they are usually affected by a lot of other factors, including computer configuration, hardware and software, network hardware and configuration, etc. Additionally, currently running programs on your computer or online speed test tools may also not be able to consume all bandwith available at your disposal.

thanks for the link, but that program doesn't log all external traffic on the network unfortunately. and for some reason it's only logging uploads

Advertisement