Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission in Cork

Options
  • 04-04-2005 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Is it true there is some crap rule in Cork, that you cannot get planning permission to build on a plot of land unless you have lived something like 2 miles from the plot for the last 5yrs?

I'm just enquiring, because my sister has a heap of land that she will be sub-dividing into plots in a few years time for all her kids (lots of them) and has asked me if I would be interested in taking one.

Another possibility would be if the above rule applied, that she could apply for permission on the plot, and then sell it to me. There may be a stipulation in her getting permission that she can't sell on for 5yrs or so. But doesn't planning permission only last for 5yrs and then she would effectivley be selling land that has no permission on it????

I'm not in a rush to get this place, it's basically something I'd like to have in 10yrs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Actually it's quite a common rule (the particulars will vary). It's designed to encourage people to live in towns and villages and not clog the countryside up with unserviced houses in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Lex,

A lot of the local authorities have what they call "Local Needs" basically you have to show them that you have been resident in the area and working close by.

Some go as far as to insist you do not already own a home or residential property and you have family in the area.

The rules are reasonably flexible I reckon a hundred metres or so would be ok, the general idea is to control ribbon development and not be putting a strain on infrastructure.

The infrastructure argument is a bit of a joke because all they have to supply is the road which is usually there already, they will also charge you a hefty fee on granting the permission to cover the infrastructure costs ?

For as long as people can / will pay these rules and charges will remain in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'm in no rush to build on the land once I get it....it's really a very long term project, that if & when I do get the site, that I can, over many years get it built in sections to save on costs and eventually move back down there when my own kids are old enough to go out and fend for themselves.
    Maybe the rules will have changed by then, but my sister at that stage will have lived within 300yds of the site for almost 20yrs so hopefully that should swing it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Lex Luthor wrote:
    but my sister at that stage will have lived within 300yds of the site for almost 20yrs so hopefully that should swing it for me.
    She will, but you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Lex,

One very simple way of checking where you have or have not been residing for the past five years is the electoral register.

It might be a good idea to start living in the area now instead of later ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

The first thing you should check is the type of zoning on the land, for example whether it is thought of as open countryside etc. Not all areas have restrictions especially if there is a falling population. Secondly it was suggested to put your name on the voting register but generally this would not be sufficient and any planner worth their grain in salt would require more information than that. If it is an area where restrictions are in place it would have to be your home place, not the place you are choosing to live. Another point to remember is that if there is an occupancy clause on the planning, it starts from the time the house is built, not when the planning was granted. You should check out the new guidelines that were just published after you have enquired about the zoning as they are meant to clarify who is entitled to get planning

Advertisement