Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV not increasing caps

• 04-04-2005 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭

Got this announcement from the u.support newsgroup.
    As of today 04/04/05 utv along with other ISP's are increasing the speeds of
    their BB products as follows:

Clicksilver was 512k now 1024K
    Clicksilver Plus was 1024k now 2048K

Caps remain the same at 8Gb and 16Gb respectively

There is no need for any customers to do anything
    Nor is there a need to sign new contracts
    Pricing is as before €29.99 and €39.99 respectively

regards
    Patrick

They're still advertising "Twice the download capacity of Eircom" on their website though.

Ffs :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

which providers actually increased the cap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sent in a complaint.

I know it's hot news, that they haven't had time to update their website yet. But then again, **** them :)

I can imagine them silently removing any talk of a cap from their website. I hope other providers clearly promote that "we have no caps/generous caps, unlike SOME".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Take screenshots of the page with a date somewhere :]

Repli wrote:
    which providers actually increased the cap?

Eircom quadrupled their cap meaning that UTV now has half the download capacity of Eircom, not twice.

As far as I know, IOL aren't increasing their caps either. But IOL have never been as tight about enforcing their caps as UTV (I've run over the cap with UTV more than once, and have been completely cut off).

Every other provider on the market either has a generous cap (over 30GB) or no caps.

• Advertisement

So you're saying the 2 eircom home products are now 16gb and 32gb?
    (Originally they were 4gb and 8gb)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Eircon website says home starter is 8GB. So I guess they're the same as UTV now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Do we have any proof this 'patrick' is actually a UTV employee?
    He has never posted on the group before.

Eircon website says home starter is 8GB. So I guess they're the same as UTV now.
    Yes, not 'quadruple' UTVs.. dunno what that guy is on

His e-mail address is patrick@u.tv

As far as I know, only UTV staff members have @u.tv addresses, everyone else has @utvinternet.ie addresses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

NG emails can be spoofed, but I doubt anyone would go to the bother.

I mean 'not quadruple their old caps'

Repli wrote:
    Yes, not 'quadruple' UTVs.. dunno what that guy is on

Something nice, you needn't worry.

I never said "quadruple UTV's", I said quadruple of Eircom's previous cap.

Eircom were guilty of fudging the facts a bit as well, they said the new download allowance was 16GB. I forgot to read between the lines and realise they were referring to their plus service.

I can set OE up to give me any address I want.
    I just wonder that given the climate on that group, such a badly written message was presented.
    Perhaps I'm wrong.
    newgrange@u.tv

UTV support have never been that great with wording their messages.

Maybe I'm wrong too, but my intuition tells me it's authentic. I was quite surprised when UTV increased the speeds without tying people into a new contract. I'm not surprised that they were too mean to increase their caps.

Just rang support to find out.
    He is, apparently genuine. I gave the poor support guy an earful as to what a stupid stupid decision this was, and what the reaction was on boards, and what they meant by 'double the Eircom cap' etc.. I am waiting for 'patrick' to ring me back.

God be with the days when they were DNA - the hippies would never have let this happen.

If 'Patrick' ever rings you back, give 'em hell. He deserves it. (Well UTV deserve it, he just got in the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

Well if its genuine then its bye bye to utv for me. My contract ends in a few weeks so they have till then but going on their efforts of late I wont be getting my hopes up.

We done UTV! I'll not be staying in the gutter with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Arabel wrote:
    If 'Patrick' ever rings you back, give 'em hell. He deserves it.

Nah, ask for his boss. Patrick isn't payed enough to take sh*t from a tonne of boards.ie folks :)

Who's the boss of U.TV again ? Email him.

martin@u.tv wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Firstly; the price indicated on the first post is incorrect. It should read:
    As of today 04/04/05 utv along with other ISP's are increasing the speeds of
    their BB products as follows:

Clicksilver was 512k now 1024K
    Clicksilver Plus was 1024k now 2048K

Caps remain the same at 8Gb and 16Gb respectively

There is no need for any customers to do anything
    Nor is there a need to sign new contracts
    Pricing is as before ?29.99 and ?45 respectively

regards
    Patrick

Also, Patrick is genuine and is part of the management. He deals with all the complaints, and is current in charge of staff (training I believe) and also is in charge of a number of other items.

UTV have had time to change the statement on there website, Carl was notified ages ago.

- Sully

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Still no change of the "DOUBLE that of Eircom Home Starter Package" on the UTV site. UTV where told a few days ago, and today im sure, about this. No change. They deserve the complaints.

I sent in a complaint to http://www.asai.ie/ as damien.m mentioned. They've a handy and short online form so it's really convenient. Unfortunately I misquoted Eircom's product so it would be cool if someone else sent in a complaint with accurate details so I don't just look like a random loon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Stark wrote:
    I sent in a complaint to http://www.asai.ie/ as damien.m mentioned. They've a handy and short online form so it's really convenient. Unfortunately I misquoted Eircom's product so it would be cool if someone else sent in a complaint with accurate details so I don't just look like a random loon.

I've just sent a complaint into the ASAI also :)

Shred wrote:
    I've just sent a complaint into the ASAI also :)

Same.

Maybe I'm being too nice to UTV but it seems a bit to hasty to start complaining to advertising standards a day or 2 after the lines get upgraded. Surely this will do nothing but piss them off and make them not even listen to all the pleas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 flop71

to be fair, they've been acting like a real "fly by night" with regard to this DSL upgrade. I'm sick to the teeth with UTV and am planning to move to another provider at the end of april.

Flop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Since when has utv plus been 1mb? I was under the impression that instead of increasing speed all those months back they just lowered the contention. A 2mb conection at 48:1 sounds allot less value then a 2mb at 25:1. I'm pretty sure this would also be a change in service and a nice opt out from this reacent contract.

Arabel wrote:
    Maybe I'm being too nice to UTV but it seems a bit to hasty to start complaining to advertising standards a day or 2 after the lines get upgraded. Surely this will do nothing but piss them off and make them not even listen to all the pleas.

They where informed by users on the newsgroup before the upgrades. Carl was told that Eircom increased the cap and theres false advertisment on the UTV website. She acknowledged but it was never changed. Still isnt.

Its false advertisement. Simple. They didnt offer anything new to customers, just followed suite (had no choice really) with the speed upgrades. And they wouldnt even tell us what the plan was with UTV at all untill a few days AFTER the upgrade. All other ISPS told BEFORE the upgrade.

Not fair, they deserve it.

• Advertisement

Ah right, I didnt know that it was said on the news group. Complain away so.

Advertisement