Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mad at myself

Options
  • 04-04-2005 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Playing other night in our regular game 1 hour into game. I was one off button limped in with 4/5clubs, no raisers.
    Flop comes 3c, 6c, Jc 8d.
    I had flush and upand down straight flush draw.

BB raises 300 twice big blind, one caller mid position, I re raised 1000 .
    He thought for a long time and re raised 1000. mid position folded quickly,
    stupit goes all in , bb calls with aq clubs.
    stupit out of game.

I put him on aj offsuit.

Luckly one of lads sugested that I be let buy back for half fee, half chips. Others agreed, came back and won.

I know it was a bad all in but why didn't he raise pre flop as he would do 99.99% of times, also long wait normally with him fold or bluff back.
    I felt I had to win pot there and then as I put him on draw to highter flush.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

jem wrote:
    I know it was a bad all in but why didn't he raise pre flop as he would do 99.99% of times, also long wait normally with him fold or bluff back.
    I felt I had to win pot there and then as I put him on draw to highter flush.

You were unlucky not stupid. He could easily have had a set or just the Ace of clubs. He didn't raise preflop because he was out of position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

definitely unlucky, maybe a little stupid...or maybe that's just me.

I wouldn't limp in with this hand..unless I was on the SB or BB I'd have no interest in playing this hand at all. What kind of flop are you hoping to hit? Even 5 6 x would be worrying in case there's a higher two pair or two pair draw or straight out there...

As it happens you got a good flop, but you still see the pitfalls, you got enough of it to commit yourself to the hand and lost out to a higher flush. That happens more often than people expect, but it was very unlucky.

At the same time, maybe 9 out of 10 times you'll get nothing on the flop and you're just leaking chips, the 1 time you do hit the flop you may have to fold and/or lose even more chips because someone has a better hand.

Throw it away..throw it away. Am I too tight a player? This is about the 4th time I've seen a similar hand mentioned recently, do a lot of people play any suited connectors from late position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Iago wrote:
    Throw it away..throw it away. Am I too tight a player? This is about the 4th time I've seen a similar hand mentioned recently, do a lot of people play any suited connectors from late position?

I would say you are losing chips by not playing suited connectors when you have position and are getting 30% value for a cheap pot. Generally its actually quite an easy hand to get away from when you have position since all you simply have to do is work out the pot odds for your draw and call it down when you get the right value. In this case jem was seriously unlucky to not only flop a flush but an open ended SF, against a player with the nut flush. That is truly a nightmare scenario that rarely happens, but generally I would definitely see cheap flops in position with this kind of hand.

The downside however is if you flop the openended SF without a made flush. Lets say you are put all in here. Well I guess you've got to work out how much your tournanent is worther to draw to your probable 17 poossibly 10 outs.

I also so think if you are first to act sitting in the cut off or button that you should raise the blinds every 3 or 4 times you get a hand like this, since it is quite impossible for anyone to put you on any kind of hand if a rag flop hits and the implied odds of taking a big pot with it are much great than when you hit a flop with most more playable hands.

It's a hell of a hand for cracking Aces! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I agree with Iago here. Maybe, if the blinds were low at the start I MIGHT consider this hand.
    However, you did play it and I think you played it quite well, that is until BB re-raised you post flop. Raising him after he bet BB*2 was a solid move but when he came OTT you should of dropped that hand like a 'hot scuttery one!'
    Also, I would be thinking, "Why is he not going all in here?" re-raised 1000 when he knows he has the nuts, suggests he is milking?
    Course he could of being bluffin' but not sure I would called with that hand. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭tap28

I disagree, it does not matter that he didn't raise preflop. He could quite easily have had A2c or any other ****ty suited cards like yours only better.
    There are a number of factors, which you didn't consider.
    1) BB (Tom) plays very tight and everyone knows he doesn't raise unless he has a good hand. Therefore when Kev called Tom he had to have something decent.
    2) Saying that you did right to reraise 1000, if nothing else to see where you are in the hand (hopefully in front)
    3) However IMOP, once kev went over the top on you (which he would not normally do) you really should have seen that you were outgunned and folded.

Saying all that you did very well to come back, you played well and got the cards at the right time (even if it was with a 2nd chance) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Whatever about limping in with this hand I assume that because you show 4 cards that there was no betting on the flop and the 8d came on the turn? If this is the case then the check by Mr. I have the nuts is fine but you should have bet on the flop. Otherwise when the betting begins in earnest on the turn you can't be sure where you are. A bet on the flop might get a re-raise from the nut flush making you bet more cautiously from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

sorry I shouldn't have put in the 8d as it was the turn and wasn't relevent as it happened after the all in.
    I had the flush after the flop and did my beting there.
    j

Advertisement