Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Checklist when doing a p/exchange

Options
  • 04-04-2005 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm part exchanging our current car for a new model at the dealer's this week. I'm trying to come up with a checklist of things to do / not do before handing over the car and doing the exchange. Anyone anything to add?

- take all items from glove box / pockets / boot
    - check CD player for disk
    - Take out the insurance disk
    - Leave the NCT and Tax disks- they stay with the car?
    - Root out the owners certificate - to take along - do i send this off?
    - Get reg number of new vehicle beforehand and arrange transfer of insurance
    - Ensure Log book is in glove box
    - Foot mats- take out - I think they are extras on the new car and we might not get them

What documents do I need to get from the dealer for the new car?
    - New Car Reg doc?
    - Warranty document?

Is it normal practice to test drive the new car ? I assume the dealer has done the checks.
    thanks
    mobpd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Hi mobpd,

For you'll own car make sure that you take your license out! If you leaving it in your car like me.

The process for the dealer is

1. Bring the Vehicle Licensing Certificiate - says the tax is paid
    2. Bring the Vehicle Registration Document - says its yours
    3. Bring the car and ALL spare keys (people forget the spares)

Test drive your new car. You really should do that before you agree to buy it anyway. If its brand new the dealer might offer you a demo car instead to test.

The dealer should then

1. Take the old car docs off you
    2. Give you a Receipt with SIMI on it (should be registered)
    3. If it's not a new car get you to sign the transfer of owner car OR if it is now give you an RFA100 form to get the tax disc
    4. Get you to sign away your old car.
    5. Make sure you're familiar with the new car
    6. Take your money.

If it's a new car bear in mind the process for getting a tax disc has changed. No longer do you wait for the Vehicle Registration cert to come in the post. The cert won't be issued until you actually pay for road tax first. So the RFA100 form the dealer gives you is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Find any spare keys you may have given to spouse, or hidden away somewhere "safe" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Arrange it so that your low fuel warning light is on as you leave the old car into the dealers :)

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭damo605

Check down the back of the seats for loose change!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Have part exchanged a couple of cars now and some dealers need the registered owner to bringphoto ID, (I guess to prove that they are who they say they are!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

and dont forget to do a track day in mondello before u trade her in :D

Advertisement