Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Crossing

Options
  • 04-04-2005 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in reading might be interested in this site. www.bookcrossing.com Basically you read a book, register it on this site and then release it in to the world. When you register it you are given a unigue book number that you label on the book. This means that it can be tracked by who reads it and then also logs it on the site. It is worth checking out, it is a very popular past-time in the States!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭solo1

I'd set my DaVinci Code free, but the bugger would probably find its way back eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I set the Da Vinci code free yesterday. I was never so glad to see the back ofit, what a piece of Cr*p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Just came across the site over the weekend and think it's a great idea! Has anyone ever used it or stumbled across a book from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I found a collection of T.S. Eliot's poetry outsite the old library in TCD. Was very cool because I had been meaning to check out more of his poetry at the time after reading The Waste Land.

Nice! As was it fromt this Bookcrossing site or just a random 'gift'? I was going through my collection last night and have picked a few I would love to share! Might just dump them off around Dublin and leave clues here for people to find them! And don't worry ... The Da Vinci Code is NOT one of them! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Yeah, that reminds me of Andrew Maxwell's review of the Da Vinci Code http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ByyMd_qDA

I've heard a lot about this website, but somehow never got around to using it. I think my problem is that the books I would like to 'release' are books I probably don't want to inflict on anybody with good taste. I might think about it with other books, but then find I just can't do it. I'd be too worried nobody would find it and it just ends up in the bin or something.
    I used to leave books on trains in Europe, nothing special, throwaway holiday ones. I'd just write something random in it, whatever i was thinking during the journey, and leave it on the seat when I left. So, I've no idea if anyone picked them up, or they just went into lost and found. I suppose that's the advantage of bookcrossing, you can actually see - that's if the person who finds it makes the effor anyway...

I'd say it probably works best when you leave clues as to where it is and then let people go looking for them. Unless you left a very obvious message in the book to go to the website and register it as found! It'll be interesting to try.

You're right though about what books to release....I'm so tempted to get rid of a lot of rubbish!! :)

catch--22 wrote:
    Nice! As was it fromt this Bookcrossing site or just a random 'gift'?

It was from bookcrossing, I had never really heard of the site until I read the "register me" note on the inside.

John wrote:
    It was from bookcrossing, I had never really heard of the site until I read the "register me" note on the inside.

Anything happen after you registered and did you leave one yourself?

I sent a message to the person who left it, she replied, I replied, that was it. Never left a book, I tend to hoard things (and don't buy Dan Brown books!)

• Advertisement

At least you made the effort! I'm going to try this over the weekend hopefully! Still not sure which book though! I just finished Million Little Pieces, so I might 'free' that.

Advertisement