Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs. Juventus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Nunez looks like he is coming on. Desperate times :)

Nunez on for Baros? A tad strange?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Very strange change. I thought Baros was having an excellent game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Boro wrote:
    Nunez on for Baros? A tad strange?
    agreed - thought Baros always had a chance to make something from nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Carrolitis is the official medical term for it.

I feel for the guy he was playing a stormer up to then. Hope he doesn't let it affect him for the rest of the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Looks like he is settling for the win as is, maybe nick something on a break although Juve are in a good position now.

Don't think it's carrolitis, ref wouldn't have given it if it was that.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I can still see a Stevie G special coming for ye... He always does it in the big games

la tallec for smicer - disagree again

Think that is a good choice, Le Tallec hasn't done much, if anything, ust taking up some space that a striker could use.

Jasus Finnan is doing amazing things, nutmegging italian defenders all over the place. Keeps getting chopped down too and no freekicks?

• Advertisement

Looks like defender, zebina, hamstring gone..

Montero on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I settle for 2-1 at this stage...c'mon the pool!!

Ref is leaning towards the away team a bit now, wonder why that is.

Not even a card for that challenge on Garcia

Garcia - man of the match

As Fianna Fáil say - a lot done - more to do.

Shame that we could not keep that tempo up, if we played a half a game like that in the premiership, we would certainly be battling for second place, just so frustrating when you see what they can do and then what they put in on a sat/sunday

Unfortunately its not difficult to see Juve winning 1-0. Would have been an amazing achievement for Juve to have needed 3 to win the tie. Still is an amazing achievement for the Pool to have won that game considering all the facts.

Well done to them. The continue to surprise us all (the non-liverpool fans that is i suspect :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh well it could'nt last! WTF was that nearside linesman at with the offside against Finnan (I think)?

Who's to say Pool can't score in Turin? If its 2-1 again next week and its down to penos I'll bet on The Reds! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great first half for Liverpool., pity about conceding the away goal but they beat Juve so a draw or better in the second leg will see them through. It's a big ask but you never know, thats the attraction of the game. Well done Liverpool.

mike65 wrote:
    Who's to say Pool can't score in Turin?
    Mike.

Probably the same people who said there was no way that the pool could score against them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Well done Liverpool on beating Juve tonight, but it will be tough in Turin.

In my opinion Hyppia was MoM.

Garci gave the ball away too much in the first half for me, but opinions are what it's all about.

Crackin goal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Good game pool played well, 1st 20 minutes of 2nd Juve got the goal , wouldnt blame Carson it was coming one way or another. Pool got hold of midfield last 25 minutes and kept it at 2-1 but some odd subs by Rafa made harder to battle a goal.

Thuram is bleedin awesome, Le tallec gonna get up morrow morning with brusies in places he never knew he had.

/extra beer for me with winnings from that game €5 on 2-1 @6-1 :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

2-1 we'll take it

bazH wrote:
    2-1 we'll take it
    Well ye can hardly bring it back to the shop and ask for a new one :)
    (no reciept)

Here's hoping that Alonso is ready to go next week, Typical that Carson fluffed proberly the easiest of the serious shots on his goal. Finnan is doing stuff I'd never have guessed he could do, he looked more like an out and out winger tonight yet got back for defence time and again. Carra was exellent in fact the back line was exellent alround.

I think we missed Hamman. Igor was having an average game and someone was needed to mop up and make the calm passes in midfield.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

A good game, and a good result for Liverpool. Turin will be tricky though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

**** you to everyone who said it was definate that liverpool lose,
    i love being right,
    you think id be used to being right but its still good every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Great goal by Hyypia&Garcia,my man of match would of been Jamie Carragher.Pity that goal went in but hey a win is a win.Roll on Turin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

agree with Mike65....we really missed Hamman tonight. Nedved had was too much space in the second half and I think Hamman would have done a good job of keeping him quiet. Great to score 2 goals but the 1 conceded is annoying. Class goal from Garcia. If he stopped giving the ball away so much, he'd be 1 of the best buys of the season!

And as for the offside decision for the Juve goal.....Carson didn't even try to stop it as he'd already heard the whistle. That's why there was no response from the Juve players because the whistle went very early. He was onside, but wouldn't have scored had the whistle not gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

great result, a win and a feeling that we can score against this lot. we've every chance now of going thru, they didn't really cause us that much trouble, even in the 2nd half when they'd most of the ball. i'd like to see a proper angle of the juve goal, just to see what way it bounced in front of Carson, i wouldn't call it a mistake by him till i saw a proper replay of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

/me holds back the tears.

thank you Rafa B.
    amazing first half. best I've seen us play all god damn season. I think the pope [rip] must have been a pool fan :)

some lucky calls : offsides, peno shouts but **** it all, we beat Juventus after hardly anybody except the fans gave us a frickin' chance.

Garcia was brutal for the first 20odd mins then out of nothing scores a cracker. I'd have hauled him off otherwise.
    Gerrard was great first half and tried as much he could second half but we just ran out of steam imo.

MoM Jamie C tbh. Not a foot wrong.

and Carson! aside from the goal, for a CL debut he kept us in the game in the first half with his save. Very comfortable in goals.

as for Juve : Del Piero was muck, much as I hate to say it. Trez was horrible when he came on.

but no excuses because on paper that Juve team was very strong imo and a 'average' Liverpool [by a lot of peoples standards] team beat them.

respect.

now lets hope we dont **** up against City at the weekend.

[edit] apparently Hyypia was 25-1 to score first tonight....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Excellent game, I was actually delighted when Liverpool went ahead, meant Juve had to scrap their dull containment game and try make somethign out of an away match for once.

Man of the match was the ref for me, closely followed by Cannavaro and Carragher. Fantastic to see brilliant defending and hell-for-leather offensive play in the same game, here's hoping for more of the same (with a Juve win) in the second leg. 2-1 to the home team is always a good outcome in a home leg. I was saying at half-time that Carson looked like a player that had been in 20 CL games, but knowing the way of things, and Liverpool keepers he'd probably let an easy one slip through his fingers and all his good work would go to waste. Buffon has made worse howlers this season, worse than Dudek even, but they're all very good keepers. It's just a pity people only seem to judge goalies on the odd lapse of concentration.

On another note, PSV have one foot in the semis - it could be party time next week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Dissapointed with that result(I'm a Juve fan...)
    Was expecting a 2-0,a bit tall i know, but with Pav back i was hoping he'd put Zlatan through with one or two.

Really irritated with Del Piero,he's been off-form for a good while and its getting beyond a joke. He really seems to be losing it big-time.

Camoranesi wasn't doing much good on the right,especially with the great form he has been in lately.

Was shocked at how well 'Pool played in 1st half, somehow i was smiling when Garcia's shot went in(mostly because i was thinking that he didnt deserve to score because he had played crap for the other 23 mins that had gone by)

Hopefully th next match,next week, in Turin goes our way!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What a win, Carragher was immense as usual, the man can do no wrong. Where did Sami pull that volley out of? People have said Baros should have satyed on because he looked like scoring, I disagree. That sth eproblem with BNaros, he always LOOKS like scorign but never does. Garcia gave a good ball that baros was stretching for, would have been a very good goal if he got it but he should have at least got something on it. A lot of headless chicken runs.

Carragher and Finnan to fight it out for pope!!!
    kaimera wrote:
    now lets hope we dont **** up against City at the weekend.

Not too sure about this one. If we win were looking at going into the Juve game trying to win 5 games on the trot. Good position to be in, if not an all too familar one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Benetiz is just amazing, how he pulled this off tonight is unreal.

I was watching the game incredibly impressed with a everyone, until the goalie error :/
    All english keepers should just be shot!!
    Its gona be so damm tough in Liverpool, but after tonight, I think Benetiz can do absolutely anything.

p.s. hope ya lose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Great to see Finnan have another good game. How nice it would be to see an Irish winger face an Irish full back in the champions league semi's. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Maybe it was meant to be . . . . linky

Something tells me he wasnt watching the tv tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

"namely that the 1982 semi-final between Poland and Italy was the only football match John Paul II ever watched on TV. Notwithstanding his apparent lack of interest for the world's most beautiful game..." - Irish Times today. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    "namely that the 1982 semi-final between Poland and Italy was the only football match John Paul II ever watched on TV. Notwithstanding his apparent lack of interest for the world's most beautiful game..." - Irish Times today. :)

He was just a bitter footballer who didnt make it and ended up in a 2nd rate career (what isnt 2nd rate to being a professional footballer)

Get it back on topic lads. That topic being liverpool outplaying one of the favourites in the competition.

• Advertisement

Indeed, just think what could be done with Morientes, Cisse and Alonso on board. It was only the lack of fit talent that cost us tonight.

Mike.

Alsonso should be back for next week. What word of Hamann and Warnock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Holy Sh*t, I've had a few beers down the boozer and promised myself I wouldn't post until tomorrow....however :) I'm really pleased with the result, 2-0 would have been really nice but I would have taken 2-1 beforehand. I don't want to blame Carson too much for the Juve goal (as much as I want to) because for his third start *only*(and first in the Champs League) I thought he had a great game, he kept us in it a few times actually. It's gonna be really tough in Turin but I really fancy our chances (even though Liverpool aren't great away from home...) especially with Alonso back :)

BTW, what a goal by Garcia :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Haha. I bet everytime JP2 seen Dudek on the teamsheet, he'd have a little word with the big man. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Great game and great performance.

And even in saying that I can see a lot of improvements coming in time for the second leg.

Hopefully Hamann will be back. We missed him big time tonight. Nedved, and Camaronesi got behind our midfield far too often. Gerrard and Biscan regularly just let him go. Thank god he is probably short of fitness else I feel we would have been punished. If Alonso is back, it would be a real bonus. Either that or Igor to have a stormer.

I feel we can score in the second leg, Benetiz is cute and will not attempt to just sit back. I think he will do like he did in Leverkusen and come out all guns blazing. It would be very naive to think Liverpool will be able to hang on to a clean sheet, but having said that Id say Juventus will be patient, so coming out of the blocks fast could surprise them. With an away goal anything could happen.

Long term positives to come out of the game too. Garica is beginning to show some nice form. He is still way too lightweight however, and needs to be sharper on the ball. These are things he can change though, I think he will turn out to be a decent enough player. He is in to double figures now in 32 starts.

Finnan as well. He is prone to the odd error, like that poor pass tonight that let Juve in. But he is beginning to look very solid. Biscan also was alright. I think he will get another season to prove himself after his recent performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

hat topic being liverpool outplaying one of the favourites in the competition.....

.... in the 1st half :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I wont discuss the result as much as I was delighted with it I will just discuss the madness that will take place next week. Liverpool bent over backwards for that awful night many years ago when 39 died. Italian fans were not blameless for that nights action with attacks yet the world forgets, liverpool "fans" charged people dies a true tragedy I hope never happens again. Trouble will happen next week this is a a guarentee the juve ultras are always there. Hell they went mad in germany in Koln not four years after heysel. You would have felt they would have learnt any lessons from hooliganism.

It is going to be a **** storm next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

:(
    It is going to be a **** storm next week.

I fear that too - I reckon there will be trouble next week unfortunately :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am a happy man after that match. I really feel for Carson having let the simplest chance of the night passed him. Its a shame that it will knock his confidence so much even though he had a very good game up to that point..

I am stating the obvious but we played them off the pitch in the first half. The second half was a different story but when you take into account that they have not played in 3 weeks, us looking tired in the second half can be explained off.. Juve only started to play once we started to stand of them a bit from what seemed like tiredness.

I thought LeTallec had an excellent match, was really happy to see that he has come along somewhat. Garcia's goal was incredible and Hypia's finnish ;) was impressive.. Finnan had a good game overall. Gerard was pinning balls all over the pitch in the first half but seemed to loose it his range completely in the second half..

Looking to the second leg, we really need to make use of the wings and take advantage of set pieces. This is where we put them under serious pressure today. I am taking it for granted they are going to be considerably stronger the next time around so we will have to take advantage of what we get. I am worried however..

Maybe the nah sayers will keep their mouth shut for the next leg though.. How many of ye got it totally wrong!!! Between ye reckoning United will walk past Milan and Juve will walk over the Pool, it has been an interesting few rounds ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Liverpool are going to regret letting in that ridiculous away goal. You can quote me next week too lads.

Advertisement