Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Vs. Juventus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Oh dont worry we will :rolleyes: :rollligaments: for cheesedue hath spoketh

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i will quote you and like everyone else ive quoted over the last few weeks youll be eating your words and i really do hope you choke on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Me too. That would be brilliant if i did. But I won't. At 2 - 0. I would say "Ye...you can do it." 2 - 1 and that soft soft goal you let in. No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

cheesedude wrote:
    Liverpool are going to regret letting in that ridiculous away goal. You can quote me next week too lads.
    Just like they did against Leverkusen.

Even if they were to go out. I would find no regret losing to Juventus in the quarter finals of the Champions League having beaten them at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Whatever happens in Turin, I'm proud =*)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

.... in the 1st half :D

actually more like 2/3 of the first half - Juve started gettign on top towards the end of the first half and actually finshed with same amount of possession in that 1/2. Juve seemed contented enough to only get 1 goal back as if they reckoned they would win next week.

Fair play to Liverpool they proved me wrong, Juves spell without a game showed early on, they started very slowly and were 2-0 down before they woke up. Del Piero was Rubbish, hopefully Trez will get a game under his belt next week and they will go for him and Ibrahimovic upfront.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It will be very tough over there in a way I think its better for liverpool to go over there knowing they need to score to have a more certain chance, hopefulyl they wont go and play for a 0-0. Either way it will be a very very nervy return fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Fair play to Liverpool, the lads had a real go. It could have ended up better, but overall 2-1 is not an unfair reflection of the game.

Juventus have to be favourites as they have more quality than Liverpool. But hopefully Liverpool will start the 2nd leg the same way they started yesterday's game and the game in Leverkusen. Attack is the best policy. And I think United proved in their two games against Milan that playing cautiously is less likely to succeed against the top teams

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Liverpool did well, great finish from Garcia, lucky to get away with a 2-1 result after them hitting post, poor offside decision that I doubt carson would have got to, great save from Del Piero and possible penalty claim again Traore. But 2-1 is not the score that people would have expected. Should be a cracking 2nd leg and if the team that turned out for Juve in the 2nd half decide to play the whole 90 minutes then they should get the goal the need to go through,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Liverpool were brilliant in the 1st half. But, they couldn't keep up that intensity for the full 90 mins. shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Who says Liverpool are boring , great first 45 mins from the reds , they did sit back a little in the 2nd half especially when the Juve goal went in , hard luck from carson , he made some fine kicks / stops and was overall ok apart from goal ... Liverpool can do it , although the away goal is worrying .. cannot wait till next wednesday now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Great display from the team.
    Felt sorry for Carson, was having a good game up to goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

I wont discuss the result as much as I was delighted with it I will just discuss the madness that will take place next week. Liverpool bent over backwards for that awful night many years ago when 39 died. Italian fans were not blameless for that nights action with attacks yet the world forgets, liverpool "fans" charged people dies a true tragedy I hope never happens again. Trouble will happen next week this is a a guarentee the juve ultras are always there. Hell they went mad in germany in Koln not four years after heysel. You would have felt they would have learnt any lessons from hooliganism.

It is going to be a **** storm next week.

Yeah definitely gonna be trouble, here's a pic of some of the Juve supporters reaction to the banner Ian Rush and Platini carried around the pitch with the names of all the people who died at Heysel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah, it dont look too promising esp given the Italian cops are pretty useless when it comes to policing such events. I'd advise ppl not to go if I were the club. You can imagine how the sh1te would hit the fans if Liverpool actually won.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-04-06T105919Z_01_JON639356_RTRUKOC_0_SOCCER-LIVERPOOL-REACTION.xml

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_objectid=15372201&method=full&siteid=50061&headline=reds-fans-in-juve-warning-name_page.html

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

mike65 wrote:
    [snip]...if Liverpool actually won.

surely you mean when we win!

looks bad tho for the fans wanting to travel. Only read about it at lunch there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

mike65 wrote:
    Yeah, it dont look too promising esp given the Italian cops are pretty useless when it comes to policing such events. I'd advise ppl not to go if I were the club. You can imagine how the sh1te would hit the fans if Liverpool actually won.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2005-04-06T105919Z_01_JON639356_RTRUKOC_0_SOCCER-LIVERPOOL-REACTION.xml

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0100regionalnews/tm_objectid=15372201&method=full&siteid=50061&headline=reds-fans-in-juve-warning-name_page.html

Mike.

There's no way in hell I'd be even thinking of going over there as a Liverpool fan :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

alfie wrote:
    Yeah definitely gonna be trouble, here's a pic of some of the Juve supporters reaction to the banner Ian Rush and Platini carried around the pitch with the names of all the people who died at Heysel

How can you spread such lies!!! dont you know it'ss all the Evil scousers fault. Those poor unfortunate football lovign italians who stand innocently watching their beloved team, only to get attacked unprovoked by liverpool fans.

We'll thats what they like to think anyway. bloody scum.

On a slightly different note I was very impressed with theLiverpool fans last night and at the tsunami game. Nowhere is a minutes silence more respected than anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

i eat my hat what a first half!!!!!!! they need to go out with the same attitude in Turin stick the game to them not sit back and try for 0-0 one goal over there is all i feel they need to go through

WAN D POOL!!!!!!!

If Liverpool try and sit back in Turin they'll get beat easily, they need to approach the game the same way they did against Leverkusen fly out of the traps and get an early goal - easier said than done though hopefully Alonso will be able to last 90mins against them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Stekelly wrote:
    How can you spread such lies!!! dont you know it'ss all the Evil scousers fault. Those poor unfortunate football lovign italians who stand innocently watching their beloved team, only to get attacked unprovoked by liverpool fans.

We'll thats what they like to think anyway. bloody scum.

But Heysel was all liverpool fans fault, they attacked Juve fans cluminating in a wall being pushed on top of more Juve fans.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Stekelly wrote:
    Nowhere is a minutes silence more respected than anfield.

LOL Liverpool Fans best at minutes silence it's official.

Did you actaully read that before you posted it ? I mean a minutes silence is a minutes silence it's either respectd or its not. It can't be any more respected than being silent for a minute.

KdjaC wrote:
    But Heysel was all liverpool fans fault, they attacked Juve fans cluminating in a wall being pushed on top of more Juve fans.

kdjac

To say it was all Liverpool fans fault is not true, yes most of the blame should be put on Liverpool fans but UEFA should accept some sort of responsibility for choosing a shambles of a stadium, the Belgian police also must share some of the responsibility for not keeping the supporters seperated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

All parties involved with that game can take blame - the liverpool "fans"
    many of whom were bloody national front/C-18 types, Juve fans who were frequently violent and not just towards Liverpool fans, UEFA for selecting a crumbling ruin of a Stadium to host the event, allowing a "neutral" area with "turnstyle" ticketing. The Belgian authorites for not having remotly adequate security. It was a momumental fvck-up from the darkest era in football.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:
    All parties involved with that game can take blame - the liverpool "fans"
    many of whom were bloody national front/C-18 types.

This is why I dont support banning teams based on their supporters. But unfortunatley there isnt really a beter alternative. A lot of the people who go to these matches are not fans of a particular teamor maybe even football at all, but are just out for the trouble. Much like the Ireland - England game in Lansdowne. The combat 18 heads just saw that as a chance to wreck a bit of Ireland and probably couldnt have cared less bout the football. I dont think its entirely workable to have a couple of thouseand people banned and manage to keep them out of matches, IT would involve a lot of people trying to find the trouble makers and get them out. You'd spend the whole match going through th ecameras and snatching people out of the crowd.

IPersonally I favour the "knock seven shades out of them" approach that some riot squads have adopted during international tournaments. A good kicking is all these people seem to understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Anyone have a link to videos of the Liverpool goals from last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote:
    UEFA for selecting a crumbling ruin of a Stadium to host the event, allowing a "neutral" area with "turnstyle" ticketing. The Belgian authorites for not having remotly adequate security. It was a momumental fvck-up from the darkest era in football.

Mike.

That's not exactly accurate Mike , Granted those issues were a factor in the death toll once the violence started but the blame for the violence lies fully with the fans. Had the fans behaved themselves the night would have passed off without casulty despite those issues .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Hey lads,

Ive been supporting Juve since I was young,Juventus last night were completely out of character,I blame this on a few factors,
    Firstly I think Juve underestimated their opponents and Liverpool gave them quite a shock in the opening 30mintues,that being said Juve usually do have trouble with the english clubs style of play but I believe in the 2nd leg we will be better prepared.Secondly Nedved unfourtanly was not fully fit for this match and it seems in 4-4-2 we rely to heavily on him,the succesful trident attack we had been using while he was out didnt work because Zayeleta was injured for the game so we went out on a limb hoping for the best.Thirdly Trezeguet was not fit to start,Ibhrahomovich and Del Piero are brilliant attackers but they cannot finish for peanuts most of the time,espicially Ibrahmovich who seems to be able to do everything but finish,they are more suited for assisting but with our two finishing strikers out it was a problem.Fourthly Blasi had a terrible game on the pitch he is still quite inexpirienced and when Pessotto came on in the 2nd half there was quite a noticable diffrence in possesion.

I could always go into the goal disallowed,and the penalty disallowed which on replay did confirm they should have been but I feel these things happen in matches so you cant blame a defeat on them.

I was quite pleased with the result as I know Juve can very easily score at home and defend the lead as I've seen many times before,Benitez defiently did his homework and our defeat last night will make sure Don Fabio Capallo will too,with Nedved and trezeguet fully fit and it being a home game I have no doubt we can turn this result around.

just my $0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Spaced out, I could go on about Liverpools injury ridden squad and fielding a weakened team last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

The Muppet wrote:
    That's not exactly accurate Mike , Granted those issues were a factor in the death toll once the violence started but the blame for the violence lies fully with the fans. Had the fans behaved themselves the night would have passed off without casulty despite those issues .

Had a discussion with a Liverpool fan lately along these lines. The issues Mike makes contributed to the deaths but not solely to the voilence. The voilence was started by fans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Liverpool bent over backwards for that awful night many years ago when 39 died. Italian fans were not blameless for that nights action with attacks yet the world forgets, liverpool "fans" charged people dies a true tragedy I hope never happens again. Trouble will happen next week this is a a guarentee the juve ultras are always there. Hell they went mad in germany in Koln not four years after heysel. You would have felt they would have learnt any lessons from hooliganism.
    Waiting 20 years to say sorry for Heysel is just as bad, if not worse than the Sun apologising for their article on Hillsborough 15 years after the disaster.

Go on, try and blame Juve fans for it but the fact is that the disaster occurred because of Liverpool fans stampeding towards Juventus fans causing 38 Italians and 1 Belgian to die. These are the facts. Live with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

I really have to disagree with you there.

Liverpool have not waited 20 years to apologise for Heysel. The healing happened straight away with one Liverpool fan recieving over a dozen medlas of bravery for saving the lives of 8 Juventus fans during the aftermath.

Hooligans representing Juve where blamed and where deemed to have contributory neglegence in the cause of the riots but because Juventus fans ran to escape the reactions of hooligans claiming to represent Liverpool fans, Liverpool as a clubs bore the brunt of the blame.

Juventus played behind closed doors for their next 2 games as a punishment for thier part in the riots.

These are not the actions sactioned upon a complete innocent.

A lot of this is self inflicted because of the way Liverpool FC reacted after the disaster. Withdrawing from European competition voluntarily before any ban was imposed.

If you would like to start a discussion based upon the tirggers for the Heysel disaster then I will be more than happy to discuss this but you will have to remember that this is an extremely emotive subject.

Liverpool as a city was in total disgust of what happened. Even more so when Hillsborough further brought into perspective what had happened. Merseyside police and citezens brought the hooligans to justice.

Emmo

Lads any chance we can get back onto the actual soccer?

I really dont know what happended with our defence the other night but if we can prevent Real Madrid from scoring against us at home then im sure we can prevent Liverpool,The other night was a complete lapse of concentration it was probably the first time in the season I've seen Juve defend so badly and I gaurantee you it wont happen again.

In my opnion Liverpool played the best they played all season in the first 30minutes and I dont think they can match that performance again,Juve however can very,very easily play ALOT better.

2-1 is a brilliant score,Liverpool played their best and Juve played terrible yet still they managed to come away with something positive so if we play to our normal standards next wednesday we should easily brush Liverpool aside.

I dont feel the Juve can handle Liverpool when they play at such a high tempo.

I was at the game and the team as a whole hunted like a pack of wolves. Two men closing down the man on the ball and everyone else man marking their zones.

No so much invention from Juve, they where playing route 1 stuff all the first half and it was only when Liverpool tired, understandable considering the hard game that they had played against Bolton 3 days earlier and then when you factor in the rest that Juve had because of the cancelation of their game at the weekend you can see why it became 1 way for the first 30 mins in the 2nd half.

That said Juve produced only 4 chances in the entire game. Ibramhimovich was key in each of these and Del Piero's decline continued.

Will Juve drop him for the game in Turin? I doubt it. So will they play the 4-3-1-2 they normally do?

If so I feel that Riise and Garcia will exploit this to great effect.

Finnan was more than holding his own and is getting better by the game as too is Garcia.

Gerrard will be key. If he can keep Nedved quiet like he did in the first half and then lead counter attacks with Alonso directing play from the back I would be confident that Liverpool will have a large say in the outcome of the game.

Remember people are saying week in week out that Liverpool cant play better than "that" and they continually ask Benitez the question after the game "was that the best Liverpool performnace you have seen?" and he always says, "we have poshibilities".

I think that the result in Turin will come down to two things.

Can Liverpool start at a blistering pace again and put Juve off their game
    Can they maintain that pressure for more that 45 mins

A lot will depend on the weekend fixtures, Liverpool away to city and Juve playing Fiorentina.

Zebina is missing for the next game too!

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

I'm just back from the game and i have to admit that it was the greatest football experience of my life.

I've never witnessed anything like the atmosphere and i've seen games in the bernabeau and the nou camp and nothing could compare to this.

Was sitting with the players who were out injured and cup tied and if anyone says that this liverpool team lacks passion and morale then they're wrong cos the players who were out, sinama, cisse and Morientes were as animated as any fans.

Cisse even joined in with the "shoot shoot" chants when carragher picked up the ball 40-50 yards from goal.

Also on a side note was talking to Robbie Fowler and when i asked him would he come back to Liverpool he said he'd do anything to play for liverpool again. He said he'd play for free if he could. I for one would love to see him back even if it was just for cover. We could have done with him at the moment.

On the game i thought the first half performance was one of the best i have seen from Liverpool in recent times. They were so up for the game and steamrolled a juve who were at 6's and 7's for the first half hour. Scott Carson was unlucky as he played well apart from the obvious and any 19 year old would have got a good dose of the nerves on a night like this. All in all it will be a night i will never forget and if they can dictate the game in turin then there's no reason why they can't go all the way. :D

as said by Emmo : That said Juve produced only 4 chances in the entire game. Ibramhimovich was key in each of these and Del Piero's decline continued. Will Juve drop him for the game in Turin?

I admit Del Piero is long passed it,the only reason he was playing was Trezeguet was not fit,hes been on the bench quite a bit this season.

Yes we only made 4 chances but they were all brilliant chances we hit the bar and Carson did 3 excellent saves from close range shots where had it been trezeguet we wouldve scored,and putting our legit goal that was disallowed into the equation we should have been at least 3-2 up.Liverpool in the 2nd half had no chances at really.Nedved hadnt been playing for 2months so that was why he had such a poor performance in the 1st half but as he got into the game in the 2nd he improved vastly and that was for all to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    Waiting 20 years to say sorry for Heysel is just as bad, if not worse than the Sun apologising for their article on Hillsborough 15 years after the disaster.

Go on, try and blame Juve fans for it but the fact is that the disaster occurred because of Liverpool fans stampeding towards Juventus fans causing 38 Italians and 1 Belgian to die. These are the facts. Live with it.
    Let me ask you a question, when we do meet, if I hurled abuse and objects at you for the length of the next boards beer how would you react ? Would you walk away muttering under your breath ? No you wouldn't and that is evident by the way you post on boards. You would probably be provoked into some type of attack.

The apparently blameless Juve fans were provoking (evidence of this exists and many Italians at the game attested to this) the liverpool in this manner from the get go. They reacted in the same way as many people would and in a similar vein to irish fans did when english fans assaulted them in Landsdowne. In that event the tormentors were blamed as was right even though many Irish fans did retaliate. Because Landsdowne was not massively overcrowded (as Heysel was) had adequate security in place (unlike Heysel) and seperated the fans with more than chicken wire and a badly erected wall, there was not any more serious injuries than it turned out there were.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why is everyone insisting on dragging over old coals and scaremongering about the match next week? It's a bit pathetic, particularly in the light of such a thrilling game, with a mouth-watering second leg in prospect. :(

I feel the ball is very much in Liverpool's court as to how the return game will pan out. Should they once again go hell for leather and hammer at Juve like at Anfield, risking a sucker-punch goal on the counter attack, or force the home side to come out and try and score a winner. Both tactics are potentially fatal. Though not the fastest team in Europe, an on-form Nedved and Emerson can switch the play right around in a heartbeat, and the 'pool back-line would have to be very alert to snuff them out, and Hyypia may want to forego his forays upfield. I think Zalayeta needs to play if this is the way Juve choose to handle it, as they have no other nippy front-runners, wide-man Camoranesi apart.
    If the visitors choose to hold what they have, we'll see an extremely cagey match, with Juventus stroking the ball about for an hour, probing for the gaps, waiting for Trezeguet to get in the mix and scrounge one from close range, or for Del Piero (he still manages one good game in ten) to open up. They will probably also play for free-kicks to smack at the keeper or hoist up to the long men.

I'm fairly confident Juventus will pull it out of the fire, most likely near the end of a tedious encounter and am almost hoping Liverpool knock one past Buffon early on, as they're a far more pleasant team to watch when they have to step up to the plate.

Yeah, I think that's just about enough woeful clichés for the time being.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    putting our legit goal that was disallowed

FFS, the whistle had gone, the defense had stopped defending and Carson didn't make any effort to stop the ball going in. It's not like the whistle went after the goal was scored!

yes and when we have Xabi Alonso back and Riise on form again with Gerrard in behind Baros I can see is causing a lot of problems for Juve on the counter.

While limiting Juve to four chances we also managed to create quite a few ourselves and your back line looks vunerable.

What do you think will happen to Juve if Liverpool start at a ferocious pace again with Xabi Alonso actually holding the ball up when we need it?

Another back line shuffle is in order and Del Piero will make way for Trezeguet who hasnt been setting the world on fire.

We wont try to defend our advantage, we will attack and attack fast and hard. Rattle your cage a bit.

Im confident that Liverpool will give Juve one hell of a game.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

In order for Liverpool to progress from this tie, it is vital for Dietmar Hamann to play in the second leg above all else (well possibly Carragher).

Juve midfield got in behind Liverpools for fun at Anfield. Liverpool will not be so lucky in Turin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

In order for Liverpool to progress from this tie, it is vital for Dietmar Hamann to play in the second leg above all else (well possibly Carragher).

Agree 100%. Nedved had way too much space. Hamman was sorely missed in the second half. I'd go with this team:

Carson (If Dudek is fit he'll play me thinks)
    Finnan Carragher Hyppia Traore (I think he's improving all the time)
    Hamman
    Garcia Alonso Riise
    Gerrard
    Baros

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Let me ask you a question, when we do meet, if I hurled abuse and objects at you for the length of the next boards beer how would you react ? Would you walk away muttering under your breath ? No you wouldn't and that is evident by the way you post on boards. You would probably be provoked into some type of attack.

The apparently blameless Juve fans were provoking (evidence of this exists and many Italians at the game attested to this) the liverpool in this manner from the get go. They reacted in the same way as many people would and in a similar vein to irish fans did when english fans assaulted them in Landsdowne. In that event the tormentors were blamed as was right even though many Irish fans did retaliate. Because Landsdowne was not massively overcrowded (as Heysel was) had adequate security in place (unlike Heysel) and seperated the fans with more than chicken wire and a badly erected wall, there was not any more serious injuries than it turned out there were.
    Sorry for going off topic again but I feel I must answer this.

Most of the alleged Juve provocation, was just that "alleged" by Liverpool fans. It is irrelavant that the Juve fans were provoking the Liverpool fans. That happens at nearly every League game you'll find. The Liverpool fans should not have allowed themselves to be provoked.

The very same thing happened this (last?) season against Millwall, the Liverpool fans allowed themselves to be provoked. Some of them trying to get onto the pitch to confront the Millwall fans. This however is again irrelavant as they are most likely different Liverpool fans than the ones from the Heysel disaster. But the question is, who would be to blame if the Liverpool fans had to get into the Millwall end and 10-15 Millwall fans were killed? The Liverpool fans. Same scenario, different fans.

To answer your question, if we met at boards and you hurled abuse/objects at me. And I ran over to you to confront your alleged provocation and I assaulted you, in the courts I would almost definately get the blame.

Its not a question of whether I would or not. I most likely would, but it would be out of stupidity and stupidity never wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

And these mini rants have nothing todo that your uninventive team were dumped out of the champs league a few weeks back.

Go find something more interesting todo, as i doubt many people here are in control of the complete facts regarding the disaster.

What age were you when Hysel happened Pornapster - 1 or 2 ?

I cant remember that far back, and can only go by news reports and various websites which mention it.

So... enough with the thread hijacking and if you want to post on topic do so, if not start your mini rant thread somewhere else.

Anyway..... We're up against the 1-0 masters in there backyard, i think we can nick another early goal and get away with a 1-1 draw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Juve midfield got in behind Liverpools for fun at Anfield. Liverpool will not be so lucky in Turin.

I think its very unlikely that Hamann will be fit. I think the team will be largely unchanged from the first leg, the exceptions being Alonso replacing LeTallec and Warnock replacing Traore (but only if Rafa thinks they are up for 90 minutes).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ach, I had a long response nearly finished when I hit some key and it all went blank...
    Emmo wrote:
    yes and when we have Xabi Alonso back and Riise on form again with Gerrard in behind Baros I can see is causing a lot of problems for Juve on the counter.

I wouldn't expect miracles from Alono on his first game back (or is he set to start this weekend?). Hopefully Nedved will be back to match fitness with a couple of games under his belt, although Serie A might be cancelled again this week :(
    While limiting Juve to four chances we also managed to create quite a few ourselves and your back line looks vunerable.
    I wouldn't really say that. Admittedly, Thuram had a poor game, and Zebina is quite dodgy, Cannavaro was casually pickpocketing the Liverpool forwards all evening and Zambrotta is sheer class, both tracking back and going forward.
    What they do lack is strength in depth - I physically shuddered when I saw Montero togging out and I'm not sure Ferrara will be allowed bring his wheelchair should he be called upon. I think Legrotallie has been loaned out as well. No real loss, but he makes up the numbers. (A fit) Tudor is sorely missed, both at centre-half and in his second position of defensive midfielder, where Blasi and Tacchinardi are seriously lacking, IMO.
    What do you think will happen to Juve if Liverpool start at a ferocious pace again with Xabi Alonso actually holding the ball up when we need it?

If he's up to it, fair dues, but Zambro, Camo and Nedved pinging the ball about is a fairly lethal countering combo, provided they have a pacy frontman to run onto the through balls. I wish we had Nonda already, but Zalayeta is a more than competent striker. Juve do need a decent showing from Blasi/Tacc though.
    Another back line shuffle is in order and Del Piero will make way for Trezeguet who hasnt been setting the world on fire.
    As said above, there's not a whole lot to shuffle with at the back. The big man/big man attack of Trez and Zlatan has worked surpsisingly well on occasion, but I honestly don't know what two (or three) forwards Capello will go with, though I expect a fair bit of rotation as the game progresses.
    We wont try to defend our advantage, we will attack and attack fast and hard. Rattle your cage a bit.

Im confident that Liverpool will give Juve one hell of a game.
    I hope so, for the game's sake :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

from koptalk

Italian newspaper The Gazzetta dello Sport continues to report that major disturbances are expected when Juventus host Liverpool in the Champions League return fixture.

A selection of chilling internet messages have been published in the paper one of which reads: "We've waited 20 years for this and now it is time for revenge. We will kill them, just like they killed us. Honour those at Anfield who turned their backs and refused Liverpool's friendship. The Liverpool fans will not leave the Delle Alpi stadium alive. Sharpen the knives and bring your clubs."

High security arrangements will be in place from the moment Liverpool supporters touch down in Italy but there are still fears that our new "friends" are going to do their best to seek revenge for the Heysel deaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heysel_Stadium_disaster

This about covers the heysel tragedy.. and hopefull the polizia will put on a good show this week also, because if they are lax again, it could easily be a riot..
    Apart from that, I think liverpool will nick a goal over there, and a fair possibility it could be peno's mmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Theres no way that ALonso will be playing in this game, Benitz wouldn't do it.

Midfield isn't attack, its the most important part of the game. You can't put someone back who isn't fit, and they won't waste a subs place for him.
    He'll be back, but not yet.

They should, and will, stick with what got them this far.
    Its gona be an incredibly though match, but I have a feeling that somehow Benetiz will pull it out of a hat

Here are a selection of images

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2002/0529/photo/s_hooligans_hi.jpg This is Juventus hooligans attacking a Liverpool fan before the charge where the wall collapsed. Note the weapons.

http://www.asromaultras.it/heysel_juventini.jpg These are Roma Ultras actually traveling with Juve Ultras to attack Liverpool fans. Note the red and yellow scarfs.

http://www.hrt.hr/arhiv/ndd/05svibanj/0529%20Heysel2.jpg A holligan in the colours of Liverpool attacks the Juventu's section.

http://www.soccernet.com/images/england/heyselbarrier_daividcannon.jpg The charge of the Liverpool fans and hooligans that will cause the retreat of the Juventus fans and hooligans and eventually the wall that segregates section Z to crumble.

http://www.soccernet.com/images/england/heyselpolice_peterrobinson.jpg the after math of the disaster.

I hope that for the sake of both clubs and the 135 shared deaths that nothing like this happens in Turin.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

PHB wrote:
    You can't put someone back who isn't fit, and they won't waste a subs place for him.

how can you say that having seen Alonso on the subs bench last week and he'll have had 2 partial matches since then. Far from ideal, but he'll travel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement