Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COBOL compiler

Options
  • 06-11-2000 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent one, preferably command line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

There was one called PCobol which was written by microfocus. Personal Cobol i believe it was.

Luvley and command line based with an optional dosey gui-type thing.

I used to have it, we all got it cheap thru our college many many moons ago direct from microfocus. Ill have a looksy and see if i can dig it out.

Snaga

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There was a book teach yourself COBOL or something written by some Russian guys (red colour book).

You got a free COBOL compiler that compiled it into EXE's. Nice DOS GUI program as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I got the free fujitsu compiler, but I think its a different standard to the Micro focus one we use in college because it threw up all sorts of errors when i tried to compile some of the programs i wrote in there.

www.winegum.co.uk

click on COBOL on the left menu and the link is on the main page.

Ive never used this one but a friend does(the guy who owns the site)

Completely command line driven by the looks of things.

Snaga

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ah microfocus. The pain, the joy. The huge regret that I gave it up before y2k mania frown.gif

Lunacy Abounds! Play GLminesweeper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

There's a commercial compiler called I-COBOL. It probably costs a fortune but keep your eyes open for it. It let's you run the same code on unix/win32. Most of the systems running the credit unions in Ireland are written with it.

nah that one on winegums site isnt really what I'm looking for.

It seems to only work with .cob files and I need one that compiles cbl files. Basically somthing like micro focus's offering.

k, ill keep my eye out for that MF pcobol then.

Snaga

cheers, it seems to be incredibly difficult to get any type of compiler for it.

Advertisement