Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regulator repair

• 04-04-2005 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I have a problem with the second stage of an apeks regulator. It keeps free flowing inspite of being in for service. I have had enough of bad dive equipment service and wish to tweek the freeflowing regulator myself. Does any one out there know how to do it?

By the way, is there actually such a thing as a competent and honest dive equipment service?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Hi Scania (feel like i am talking to a scandinavian truck :) )

Could be a few things wrong, i assume that if you have an adjustable 2. stage model that you have this turned all the way out.

1. HP seat
    2. High IP
    3. LP seat
    4. Crown adjusted incorrectly, lever set too high.
    5. Lever bent.
    6. Crown sealing surface damaged.
    7. Poppet spring damaged.

My ranking of what is wrong is:
    1, 3, 4, 6, 5, 2, 7. Could also be a combination.

You can rule out 1 doing this, when you purge, does the leak start instant again or does it take a few sec before it leaks again? If it’s instant then it`s normaly not the HP seat. If it is not instant then you need to get the HP seat changed.

If it’s instant than its likely to be the LP seat (your service man could also have f**ked up the Crown sealing surface or bent your level or done something funny with your poppet spring that I have not seen before, this could be why your reg. act funny after service) Just to rule out the number 5, take off the front cover and make sure that lever is even with the case rim (see attached picture nr 1). If it is even and looks fine then it is not bent and not the problem.

Now, it is most likely bad LP seat or the crown adjusted incorrectly, if it is the LP seat it needs to go into the shop again. Adjusting the crown is something all divers should know about,
    Take the hose off, look into the hole and you will see the top if the adjustable crown, use a medium blade screwdriver to turn the crown 1/4 turn clockwise, (picture 2) put on the hose and see if your problem has gone if not you can try one more time. To turn more than this indicate that it is the LP seat that needs to be changed and it is a job for the qualified to do.

Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Scania,

Nordic is giving you some prtty good advice, he knows what he's walking about.

But i would like to know who did the service on your reg for you? (I have a pretty good idea already but just say it anyway ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

Thanks for the information Nordic. I will try it out.

It was the Flag Ship in Dublin, who did the service. We have also had problems with Oceantec when they were in business.
    Who are you thinking of Peace?

I know one diveshop, which has serviced regulators on a carpark while the customer was looking. It still did not work!

Scania wrote:
    It was the Flag Ship in Dublin, who did the service.
    Who are you thinking of Peace?

Bingo, had problems with them myself.

Scania wrote:
    I know one diveshop, which has serviced regulators on a carpark while the customer was looking. It still did not work!

I know a guy that stripped my reg on the pier and sorted out the Hp seat because the IP was creeping and causing free flow. Would have scuppered a dive, well kinda.. there was a spare reg knocking about. Didn't know there was a problem until i opened the valve 10minutes before we left the pier.

Ledgend has it he's 10ft tall and can diagnose the problem with a reg by just looking at it. (Its nordicdiver btw)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Scania

The tweeking worked out very well. Thanks for the help.

We went down to the Hook last Saturday to try the regulators out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Good diving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭gjim

Who else services Apeks in Ireland besides Flagship?

I had mine done by them before Christmas :eek: and haven't used them yet this season.

gjim wrote:
    I had mine done by them before Christmas :eek: and haven't used them yet this season.

Aquaholics sell Apeks, so i would imagine they service them. They do free overnight postage to the republic also.

I think donny used them this year for reg service...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

Yep.. sent 2 regs off to aquaholics. Even with shipping both ways, I think I saved over 50 quid by not getting it done in Dublin. I think their turnaround time is usually about a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Got mine done with Aquaholics, 2 ATX40s and a comfy-bite. With postage worked out to €75ish. Better than most of the locals as far as I can see.

Advertisement