Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contention Ratio

• 04-04-2005 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm wondering who sets the contention ratio on Eircom's wholesale products being resold by Esat and UTV? Do Esat/UTV set their own contention ratio or is it determined by Eircom?

The reason I'm asking is that my IOLBB+ package was only upgraded to 1024kbps instead of 2048kbps. I'm trying to figure out if I was ever on the IOLBB+ package even though paying for it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

N&#243 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm wondering who sets the contention ratio on Eircom's wholesale products being resold by Esat and UTV? Do Esat/UTV set their own contention ratio or is it determined by Eircom?

The reason I'm asking is that my IOLBB+ package was only upgraded to 1024kbps instead of 2048kbps. I'm trying to figure out if I was ever on the IOLBB+ package even though paying for it.

Thanks.

48/1 and 24/1 afaik. There are a number of reports of people apparently not being on the higher package yet (incl. myself:) - maybe give it a few days to settle down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭NóMur

I know what the contention ratios are. I'm wondering are they set by the hardware Eircom use or by Esat themselves.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

N&#243 wrote: »
    I know what the contention ratios are. I'm wondering are they set by the hardware Eircom use or by Esat themselves.

Eircom. But presumably Esat and the other isps have to notify Eircom for set up purposes. I have often wondered before if people were set up properly at least now with the increased speed there is a way to prove it.

dub45 wrote:
    Eircom. But presumably Esat and the other isps have to notify Eircom for set up purposes. I have often wondered before if people were set up properly at least now with the increased speed there is a way to prove it.

Theres contention in many places.
    * Firstly at the exchange.

* The providers backhaul connection.

* Sometimes there is contention in a "bad boy" pipe. Where all the heaviet downloaders fight it out.

Yes my spelling sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

To date Eircom has not had one problem regarding contention.
    There has been no contention as of yet.

• Advertisement

I understand there's contention in serveral areas. My main concern is that of the contention that's advertised. Is the contention ratio of 24:1 (for IOLBB+) imposed by Eircom or is it set by Esat???

My worry is that I've been charged for IOLBB+ while receiving the correct bandwidth allowance (as this is definately set by Esat), but not being on the correct contention ratio.

I have no way of checking my contention ratio, but if this is controlled by Eircom my guess is that when they did the upgrades that anyone on a contention ratio of 24:1 got a 2meg connection and anyone on 48:1 got a 1meg connection regards of who their BB reseller is.

If that's the case then I've been overcharged! I've been on to IOL support and they're still investigating my case. I just want to make sure I have my facts right when I'm on to them next.

BTW, What date were the two initial packages announced? Thanks again for the help so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

All home DSL offerings with the execption of Smart are controlled by Eircom. All the competers are just reselling the Eircom offer at a lower price with their own caps. Eircom control the speed and contention ratio of the two products.

Smart are actually going into the Exchanges and putting in their own equiptment and so can set their own contention ratio's etc. insted of just resellign the eircom product.

Thanks for clearing it up, I just wanted to be sure about it.

I'm well aware of the Smart (LLU) offer, according to their website my exchange isn't being upgraded until May/June. I just hope they get the number porting problem sorted out soon as I don't like the idea of a number change.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Winters wrote:
    All home DSL offerings with the execption of Smart are controlled by Eircom. All the competers are just reselling the Eircom offer at a lower price with their own caps. Eircom control the speed and contention ratio of the two products.

Smart are actually going into the Exchanges and putting in their own equiptment and so can set their own contention ratio's etc. insted of just resellign the eircom product.

Esat have done that in the past (and still do)...but they got lazy/ran out of money so haven't enabled any new exchanges in <x-long-time>. That's why we differenciate between Esat BB and IOL BB.

Do IBB resell? 2048/2048 really isn't (one of) Eircom's bitstream offering(s). ;) I'm sure there's the odd one or two others also. SMART just happened to put a lot of advertising out there and the free line rental thing meant that peoples attention was grabbed muchly.

Advertisement