Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

WindowsXP Service Pack II

• 04-04-2005 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a very annoying problem. I recently installed Service Pack II and aswell as it taking up a huge amount of disk space it has also messed up my scanner.

My primary problem is with my viewing experience of some web-sites. It just won't open up new windows from hyperlinks.

common example:

http://www.24hour-online.ie

...then click "Log-In" and a new window should pop-up but doesn't. I've disabled the firewall, reduced the standard Internet security options, and allowed pop-ups but it still will not work.

so just.....god....Please help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

As long as you’re not too fond of IE6 use Opera or Firefox, problem solved.(both are much better\safer)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check the very top of the page in case there is a line warning you about plugins or active x or something - it's a security feature.

Again try FireFox to rule out the IE specific problems

XP SP2 does not take a lot of disk space relative to the spec of the PC that XP should be running on/was designed for.

Scanner - check the manu's web site for patches / notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Chucky

Ok, I downloaded Firefox and am using it now - the pop-ups work but CSS's don't appear to be now working. I can't find any options in Firefox's 'Options' section to enable it either.

I just looked that same problem up on the WWW and other people have suffered it too...

*sigh*....why can't software companies just do things right?! Microsoft, in their attempt to make things more secure have choked the web-experience, and Mozilla haven't covered all issues.

Now where do I turn to? ...Opera? Will that work?

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

on ie6 here, and that pop up works. tbh, sounds more like a botch job of an install you have there, rather than a windows/firefox/ie bug.

• Advertisement

Re-install Internet Explorer 6 you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

moan moan moan chuckev your 3/4 a computer scientist figure it out :rolleyes:

:casual:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

did you try hold ctrl when clicking on the link?

I tried the CTRL+Click but the same happened. I'll just re-install IE6 later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

as in, reinstall the pc + windows (backup your docs first).

Alot of pc's which had spyware and all sorts installed, had huge problems during an upgrade to sp2

• Advertisement

You mean that I should format my disk, install XP, install XP Service Pack I, install XP Service Pack II, and then start installing everything else?

I'm not being cocky - I'm being honest. :)

Is that what you are saying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Chucky wrote:
    You mean that I should format my disk, install XP, install XP Service Pack I, install XP Service Pack II, and then start installing everything else?

Yes; that's Windows for you.

Alternatively, try another browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Best solution is Firefox and there are addons for CSS. Got to Tools >>Ententions

However some banking sights do not work well with it. (Poorly designed sites)

In IE6 you have to add the banking sites etc to the list of sites exempted from the pop up blocker

I have used both AIB on line banking with firefox and it is fine but Ulster Bank and Bank of Ireland have problems. I am told the the problem is not really with Firefox etc but with Java. Firefox uses Sun Java but IE still tries to use MS Java.

Shane

Lads he has taken the plunge and rebuilt his machine.

Lads he has taken the plunge and rebuilt his machine.

This is exactly why I don't use Windows...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Uhm had you checked in the custom security settings of i.e that all things related to active x that were disabled were set to at least prompt as from what I can see of your problem that may have sorted it instead of you having to go off and do a re-install.

I was talking to him and he found viruses the windows search wouldn’t work system restore failed and it was getting progressively worse.

I didn’t recommend the reinstall but sometimes its a good clean solution all be it a pain in the ars€

I'm back....Re-installing everything took about 20 hours in total but I have survived.

Everything now works and works quite well. On the advice of Optiplexgx270 (We went to college together) I installed Windows and the first thing I put on after that was the service pack II (But I was going to do that anyway I tell you! *shakes fist* :mad: ).

I now don't need Firefox for different things to work either. If anything, I think IE is better because it is still kind of loose with how it compiles CSS - It allows some leeway for the not-so-skillful CSS programmers.

Plus, could someone explain why Mozilla Firefox's pop-up blocker is apparently 'better' than IE's? I see no differance at all apart from people's tainted views that MS' products are somehow inferior, yet more popular.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Now would be a good time to run NTBACKUP to take a snapshot of the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Chucky wrote:

Ever hear of slipstreaming WinXP with SP2 to cut down on the donkey work?

Are you honestly a 3rd/4th year computer science student?

• Advertisement

julius wrote:

Are you honestly a 3rd/4th year computer science student?

Oh, people come out of CS degrees unable to set up simple networks, or write "Hello World" in Java. It's amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

julius wrote:

Explain how to do that for me, please. Save me some headaches

Julius, you're wrong. I hated my course in college and left it. I am not overly stupid with regard computers though.

However, just because I do not know slipstreaming are you going to infer me as an idiot? Weren't you just mentioning slipstreaming to show off?

....or perhaps you just wanted to participate in a thread whose issue was clearly resolved to either:

01 - Show off (as aforementioned by myself)

02 - To boost the number of posts you have made on boards.ie?

Moderators, can we close this thread...please.

Dempsey wrote:
    Explain how to do that for me, please. Save me some headaches
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=538219
    Closing..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement