Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to check broadband speed?

• 04-04-2005 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

Where can I check the speed of my BB connection?? At my connections it says my LAN speed is 100 Mbps and there is a 1394 connectoin which says im connected at 400 Mbps. What is the 1394 connection??? Also when im downloading certain things it takes forever, for example im downloading about 4 or five minutes of mpg and it takes forever (the file is only 65 odd MB) yet mp3s come through fairly quick most times and other times loading normal net pages takes a long time(like Dial-Up)

Any help or advice would be great, im eircom broadband btw.(Which apparently got upgraded over the w/end)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

This will be closed by Moriarty soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Yes Eircon did upgrade their lines and the most straight forward test is Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

1394 is firewire port.
    100 / 400 mbps is the connection BETWEEN YOUR COMPUTER AND THE MODEM it is not the speed of your broadband connection.

1MEGABIT broadband is not 1 MEGABYTE. A 65 mpeg in a few minutes is quite fast - 1 MEGABIT DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL GET THE FILE IN 65 SECONDS.

Loading pages will be slow if you are downloading heavily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

INTERNET (1 or 2 Mbps ) --->ROUTER-> (100MBps)--->COMPUTER--->IEEE.1394 Firewire @ 400Mbps

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Am confused, trying the Arabel link I came in at 1.72Mbps
    trying the kleefar link I came in at 220kbps

Am with Eircom Business Starter, what should I expect??
    Tks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

slave1 wrote:
    Am confused, trying the Arabel link I came in at 1.72Mbps
    trying the kleefar link I came in at 220kbps

Am with Eircom Business Starter, what should I expect??
    Tks

It doesnt work that way, you have a 1.72MB line, so you divide that by 8 (8bits in a byte) to get your "theoretical" download speed...
    1.72 divided by 8 = 0.215MB/s = 215kbps

posting in a doomed thread

Advertisement