Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we get broadband?

• 04-04-2005 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We have an ISDN connection and it's only 64kbps. I really want us to get broadband and my parents would be in favour of it but I was wondering would it be even possible to get broadband because with our telephone number to the house we got 10 'Shadow Numbers' that go to different phones around the house. My Mum's office is in the house and if we got broadband we'd lose our 10 shadow numbers leaving her with no number for the office and with a pile of out-of-date stationary. So I was wondering is there any way we could get broadband without losing these numbers?

Thanks, Liz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

personally i dont see why you would loose them. ISDN is 2 digital channels, one 64kbps for voice, one 64kbps for data. DSL is similar, and splits the single analog channel into low frequency and high frequency. so im sure whatever was done for your ISDN, can be replicated on your 'DSL-enabled' PSTN line, although im only guessing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I know I lost my second number when I went to IOLBB. The ISDN was downgraded, so 1 number remained. The second line was "lost"

I got eircom to install another one, but a different number.

I wonder would Eircom do the same to their customers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Depending on your location, you could

1) order another phone line from eircom (independent from ISDN etc.)
    2) sign up to smart broadband on this new line and then get the €24.50 line rental AND 2mbps broadband for €35 per month :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

JNive wrote:
    personally i dont see why you would loose them. ISDN is 2 digital channels, one 64kbps for voice, one 64kbps for data.
    Nope. Two 64k digital channels for data, voice, fax, whatever. One 16k channel for signalling (call setup etc). One totally digital line.
    JNive wrote:
    DSL is similar, and splits the single analog channel into low frequency and high frequency. so im sure whatever was done for your ISDN, can be replicated on your 'DSL-enabled' PSTN line, although im only guessing.
    You're guessing wrongly. The frequency division used for DSL is a completely different approach to the time division approach used in ISDN. The ability to have several different numbers and two simultaneous calls on one physical line are the useful characteristics of ISDN, and DSL doesn't offer these.

Piste, you could get another (PSTN) phone line installed and hope it's DSL-capable, or you could investigate other broadband options like cable or wireless, depending where you are.

Advertisement