Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solve this problem in the shortest code possible (JAVA)

Options
  • 20-11-2000 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry assignments or things people are getting paid for (ie. looking for the whole thing) I don't do.

Go read a book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Me neither soz

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭pigman2000

what college are u in?

itb by any chance?

i have the code but you are definitly not getting it! if i told you now that would be too easy. the code is ****in handy dumbass!

cya

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

hehe yes it is handy actually, but hey ! call me lazy smile.gif

Write a Java Applet that checks whther three number entered by the user could be the sides of a right angled triangle.

Use Label objects on screen to request information from the user, i.e., integer numbers.

The user should input the integer numbers through a number of TextFields.

Your Java applet code should call a programmer defined method with the name of myTriangleChecker to calculate the result using the assignment:

where: a2 = b2 +c2 (2's are to the power of)

Note that a is the largest of a,b and c.

The integers should be passed into the method and from which a result is returned.
    Your program should then display the result back to the screen user.

Assume that you have the use of paint and the Graphics object g.

( Yeah yeah ok so it is an assignment I have to do but I aint too hot on the old Java at the moment.)

Try and figure it out and post up the code here =)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

*sigh* boards doesnt get the indentation right
    so my answer to this doesn't work when posted here
    see the code for yourself at http://csd.dot-ie.com/~dogs/solved

i'm tired of wrestling with boards and lynx
    replying/posting is a bytch. fix this
    fscking textarea, use much wider column
    widths and so forth

[This message has been edited by dogs (edited 21-11-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Clamor

Lazy dude. Any first year could do that for you. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

You want us to do your exam for you too? tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I hope the teacher reads the boards and fails anyone who cuts and pastes.

My reasoning to why I don't do this. I took a C course one time (knew it already but work felt that as I wasn't qualifed they didn't have to pay me more money). Out of a class of about 20 people, only 3 people were capable of passing (1 of them being me).

How many passed? all but one. Why? Because they all cheated except for the three I mentioned. The sad thing is these people had problems sitting in the right direction let alone programming, yet from what I gather a lot of them have good jobs now based on that course as thier experience.

I had a similar incident some years back where I helped some guy set up his machine with Domino server and client and explained how to use it (only with about 1 months experience myself, him less then 3 days). Both of us went for a job, I told them my level of experience and he said he was setting up servers for over a year and he got the job (good pay too sob). I only hope they fired his sorry ass later.

These are just two examples... I have seen loads of instances where people have gotten better grades/jobs on the backs of others or by bull****ting.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Yeah, getting someone else to write your code doesn't do you any favours. Programming (IMHO) is a very practical thing, you can read a lot of theory and not have a clue about how to code properly.

The only way to learn is to write it, debug it, run it, debug it again, run it.

There was a guy who used to practically copy my code line for line in labs, fine for "Goodbye World" stuff, ended up dropping out unsuprisingly enough (...and the course only started in september).

That's enough finger wagging from me, but if you really want to learn to code, you have to do the work yourself (or pay me -- standard contracting rates apply)...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

bleh.

Looks like an old problem from the All Ireland Secondary Schools Programming Contest.
    http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~cdaly/ire_comp.html

IIRC it was from the 95 competition and was one of the first questions in the first round anyone could enter.

I did it when I was 15. It's not hard.

Think about it.

Get pen and paper and draw out the various cases.

Get the maths behind it ok in your head.

Put together a systematic way of solving it.

Code that.

Add the shiny buttons and stuff etc. afterwards.

ta da.

spod

former secondary school nerd boi

• Advertisement

After reading all this I decided that yer all a binch of ****ers anyway smile.gif
    So I got off my lazy behind and did it myself. It took me all of one class which I could have used for browsing, I mean for **** sake like .

****ers the lot of ye.

Slaan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Slaanesh is my brother.
    I spent sixty squid on a Java book for him last christmas.
    Somebody will be getting a few slaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Void:
    Somebody will be getting a few slaps.

Use the book, he might learn something that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

LOL biggrin.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by dogs:
    *sigh* boards doesnt get the indentation right

Did you try putting it between CODE tags?

Advertisement