Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up a secure wireless connection

• 04-04-2005 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have a wireless network in my house and I wish to make it secure.

I have a netopia wireless modem (supplied by Eircom) and am on the Eircom plus package...

I have a PC with XP on one floor and an Imac G5 on the other, I also have my XBOX hooked up to it, problem is it is not secure, so anyone within distance can connect to my network.

Basically what I want to do and have noticed with my IBM think pad when travelling or just out and about is that it will pick up a wireless network but ask for a key...this is what I want to do, but have failed in my attempts with XP, when I go into properties and add this key it appears to go back to default ie not secure...

I have noticed when I go into the netopia router page advanced mode I get...
    DHCP Leases 1 out of 253 leases in use

Sometimes this goes up to 4 out of 253, is this people piggy backing on my network or my network just picking them up, I don't want people bringing down my connection speed...

Sorry for the long mail....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭redzer007

you can use encryption, google your modem on google with the word wep

or you can only allow the devices that you own connect,

find the mac addresses on you PC

Start->run type "ipconfig /all"

this will give you your mac address

take this info and go to the admin of your router

type the address of your router into a web browser and you will get this.

there should be an option of a Mac address filter, add the addresses of your devices to this and click enable

you can get the mac address of your xbox on the dashboard in Network menu

using wep however you are encrypting the data travelling on the network as well as stopping others join it.

you also setup web from the admin page for the router

Im sure you'll get more detailed instuctions from other on this forum. personally I go with the Mac address option as it requires less work and is easier to set up, and I've now data worthwhile stealing travelling over my network

R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As said above MAC lock and use WEP (or some other form of encryption).You should do both as it's very little work to set them up for a small home network.I use a combination of the two for my home network.

One thing that is worth bearing in mind with WEP is that it isn't exactly the most secure encryption scheme and it can be broken by someone who is willing to packet-sniff enough wireless data.

Advertisement